Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cashless society?

"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Sunday, 27 November 2016 05:36:08 UTC, Simon Mason wrote:

I waved two cards at it, but it just went Back to Go.

http://bit.ly/2fmKm2s

Arent; you worried by posting this sort of info.

M Stephens certainly should be.

Somebody seems to have been plastering pictures of his various Barclaycards all over the
Internet for years.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ba...p6ArkQ_AUIBygC

However, in a rare moment of humility Clarkson has now revealed the stunt backfired

It's his constant boasting of his mechanical prowess that I can't stomach.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/11/2016 13:05, Moron Watch wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Sunday, 27 November 2016 05:36:08 UTC, Simon Mason wrote:

I waved two cards at it, but it just went Back to Go.

http://bit.ly/2fmKm2s

Arent; you worried by posting this sort of info.

M Stephens certainly should be.

Somebody seems to have been plastering pictures of his various Barclaycards all over the
Internet for years.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ba...p6ArkQ_AUIBygC

However, in a rare moment of humility Clarkson has now revealed the stunt backfired

It's his constant boasting of his mechanical prowess that I can't stomach.

He says many things, but never heard him boast about his "mechanical
prowess"!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 28 Nov 2016 08:18:03 +0000, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

tried all the smartphones and allways go back to the 1100.....you can
read
the LCD in brightest sumshine....very small and strong.....battery lasts
all week......nokia wired hands free charges as well.....worth
50p.......you can work it without looking at it.....no touch
screen.......no need for anything else...who agrees??? ..........

+1. The mobile phones from about 20 years ago were by far the best, IMO.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 28 Nov 2016 10:29:50 +1100, Rod Speed wrote:

That is just plain wrong. You can pay to anyone who has a mobile phone
number now.

I don't see how this could work. If someone buys a car off me and sends
funds to my mobile phone account then it just ends up in credit by so
many thousand pounds. Then how do I draw that money out? Bearing in mind
I don't use contract phones it doesn't make any sense to me at all. And
you have *no* idea how old I am.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 28 November 2016 10:12:21 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

Not me - I use this.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyVlKp0W8AAW215.jpg

Pity about the cost of calls and texts...

I just spend one minute to get my message across, not 30 minutes yakking about what I want for tea, or how late the train will be.

I bought 50 mins and still have 44 left and most of them were dummy calls to DD1 + DD2.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Mason wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Simon Mason wrote

Not me - I use this.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyVlKp0W8AAW215.jpg

Pity about the cost of calls and texts...

I just spend one minute to get my message across,

Not even possible when they put you on hold as most operations do.

not 30 minutes yakking about what I
want for tea, or how late the train will be.

You can't even text with that dinosaur.

I bought 50 mins

For a stupid amount of money.

and still have 44 left

So you will lose them any day now.

and most of them were dummy calls to DD1 + DD2.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 29 November 2016 06:30:29 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

and still have 44 left

So you will lose them any day now.

I will let it run out and then add another 28 days for my cruises in the summer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Mason wrote
Rod Speed wrote

and still have 44 left

So you will lose them any day now.

I will let it run out

So those few minutes you have used have cost you a fortune
for doing what there was no point in doing in the first place.

and then add another 28 days for my cruises in the summer.

Which will cost you a fortune for doing what
there was no point in doing in the first place.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Mon, 28 Nov 2016 10:29:50 +1100, Rod Speed wrote:

That is just plain wrong. You can pay to anyone who has a mobile phone
number now.

I don't see how this could work. If someone buys a car off me and sends
funds to my mobile phone account then it just ends up in credit by so
many thousand pounds. Then how do I draw that money out? Bearing in mind
I don't use contract phones it doesn't make any sense to me at all. And
you have *no* idea how old I am.

because your "mobile phone account" will be linked to a bank or credit card
account.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 29 Nov 2016 13:32:44 +1100, Rod Speed wrote:

Wrong, as always. You have in fact said quite a bit about what you have
done and when and that makes it completely clear that you arent anything
like as old as me.

I'm amazed. You come across like a bolshie 14 year old railing against
the adult world.

In any event, there is no rigorous process for the creation of an email
account. There is no ID verification; anyone can get one. And any half-
decent hacker can spoof one and claim someone else's money. Similar state
of affairs with mobile phone numbers.
This payment system you endorse so fulsomely AFAICS is only suitable for
small incidental purchases like bus fares or coffees. I wouldn't trust it
for anything beyond that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 29 Nov 2016 09:17:17 +0000, charles wrote:

because your "mobile phone account" will be linked to a bank or credit
card account.

God's gift to Big Brother. Google/YT have been pestering me for my mobile
number for years now ("for the purposes of verifying your ID") but
they'll never get it so long as I have any say in the matter. All these
****s can go to hell AFAIC.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 29 November 2016 09:57:25 UTC, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Tue, 29 Nov 2016 09:17:17 +0000, charles wrote:

because your "mobile phone account" will be linked to a bank or credit
card account.

God's gift to Big Brother. Google/YT have been pestering me for my mobile
number for years now ("for the purposes of verifying your ID") but
they'll never get it so long as I have any say in the matter. All these
****s can go to hell AFAIC.

I don't even have one, so they are knackered with me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 29 Nov 2016 04:25:09 -0800, Simon Mason wrote:

I don't even have one, so they are knackered with me.

Wise decision.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cursitor Doom wrote
charles wrote

because your "mobile phone account" will
be linked to a bank or credit card account.

God's gift to Big Brother.

Fantasy. **** all of the third world pays any income tax
or even transaction taxes either, and they do almost all
of their financial transactions that way now.

Its trivially easy to get another mobile phone number and
carry on regardless, even you should be able to manage that.

Trivially easy to get a mobile phone number without
any identification of who it belongs to too.

Google/YT have been pestering me for my mobile number
for years now ("for the purposes of verifying your ID") but
they'll never get it so long as I have any say in the matter.

Just another stupid dinosaur.

All these ****s can go to hell AFAIC.

Just another stupid dinosaur.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 30 November 2016 04:01:50 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
bought my
new car from the dealer that way more than 10 years ago now.
In those days I had to ring the bank to have it allow maximum
withdrawal from the card of that amount for just 30 minutes
while I walked to the dealer and used the card to pay for the car.

I had £13000 in my current account to pay for a car in 2009, but asked MBNA to increase my £10000 credit card limit to £13000 as a back up.

They reduced it to £7000 instead.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/11/2016 11:26 AM, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Sun, 27 Nov 2016 18:12:03 +1100, Rod Speed wrote:

I did have to go thru 3 systems to be able to pay recently due to a
combination of factors, but didnt have to use cash.

Would a lot simpler and quicker to just use cash in the first place then!

I think it will be a big mistake to go cashless.

....Ray.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Mason wrote
Rod Speed wrote

bought my new car from the dealer that way more than 10 years
ago now. In those days I had to ring the bank to have it allow
maximum withdrawal from the card of that amount for just 30 minutes
while I walked to the dealer and used the card to pay for the car.

I had £13000 in my current account to pay for a car in 2009, but asked
MBNA to increase my £10000 credit card limit to £13000 as a back up.

They reduced it to £7000 instead.

I wasnt talking about a credit card limit, I had the cash in my
account and only got them to increase the maximum amount
that could be withdrawn in a single card transaction for 30 mins.

The dealer principal was quite happy to do it that way when
I showed him that it wouldnt cost him a cent and was a lot
more convenient for them than cash or a bank cheque.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"RayL12" wrote in message
news
On 27/11/2016 11:26 AM, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Sun, 27 Nov 2016 18:12:03 +1100, Rod Speed wrote:

I did have to go thru 3 systems to be able to pay recently due to a
combination of factors, but didnt have to use cash.

Would a lot simpler and quicker to just use cash in the first place then!

I think it will be a big mistake to go cashless.

More fool you. I dont go cashless because I do use cash for
3 situations, the cheapest fruit and veg place that wont accept
anything but cash for transactions under $10, for the farmers
market, and for garage/yard/boot sales which do work with
payment to a mobile but which are quicker with cash with
those who dont understand what is possible now.

I normally do have something like $100-200 available in
cash, main for the garage/yard/boot sales, but I also have
a number of cards deliberately so that I fall back thru those
when I can.

Yes, its possible to have a mains failure for a few hours that
mean cards can't be used, but that is so rare its not worth
worrying about since the cash would cover that if it happens. I've
never had to do that in the 40+ years I use cards whenever I can tho.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/11/2016 9:31 AM, Rod Speed wrote:

"RayL12" wrote in message
news
[...]

You made the same mistake some of my 'orgasm faking' girlfriends did,
you thought I cared. Nice.

You begin by calling me a fool as you move forward into trying to
educate me and then, you tell me you use cash?

Yes, it's always handy to have a few quid to one side.

....Ray.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

RayL12 wrote
Rod Speed wrote
RayL12 wrote
Cursitor Doom wrote
[...]

You never could bull**** your way out of a wet paper bag.

You begin by calling me a fool

I call a spade a spade and a fool a fool.

as you move forward into trying to educate me

Nope, its obvious you are just another
uneducable terminal ****wit/fool.

Even you should have noticed that you arent
the only one reading posts in here, fool.

I'm just ****ing on your stupid claims from a great height.

and then, you tell me you use cash?

Only when there is no practical alterative.

Yes, it's always handy to have a few quid to one side.

Nothing like your original which I chose to comment on.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fredxxx" wrote in message news
On 28/11/2016 13:05, Moron Watch wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Sunday, 27 November 2016 05:36:08 UTC, Simon Mason wrote:

I waved two cards at it, but it just went Back to Go.

http://bit.ly/2fmKm2s

Arent; you worried by posting this sort of info.

M Stephens certainly should be.

Somebody seems to have been plastering pictures of his various Barclaycards all over
the
Internet for years.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ba...p6ArkQ_AUIBygC

However, in a rare moment of humility Clarkson has now revealed the stunt backfired

It's his constant boasting of his mechanical prowess that I can't stomach.

He says many things, but never heard him boast about his "mechanical prowess"!

Well yes. The point about Clarkson's critics and the typical "rare
humility" jibe is that they fail to appreciate that a lot of his
shtick is actually based on self deprecation. Its all a big joke.

And that while he may well be able to appreciate the products
of modern motoring engineering, any explanations of the actual mechanics
as exemplified by Mays lengthy attempts, are likely to send him
to sleep.

Whether actually true or not, that's the shtick. He's a macho motoring
journalist who claims to have as much real knowledge of how cars
actually work as yer average woman driver. (And possibly his "average"
fan). She may be most concerned about the colour or the interior while
he just wants to sit behind the wheel, put his foot down
and go Phaoooooooaaar !

HTH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/12/16 09:00, Moron Watch wrote:
Whether actually true or not, that's the shtick. He's a macho motoring
journalist who claims to have as much real knowledge of how cars
actually work as yer average woman driver. (And possibly his "average"
fan). She may be most concerned about the colour or the interior while
he just wants to sit behind the wheel, put his foot down
and go Phaoooooooaaar !

And that's his appeal. He isn't interested in the geeky aspect of cars.
He taps into that part of most males and a lot of females that regards a
car as a fantastic toy, that if you forget you are actually an adult,
can be the most enormous fun.

Clarkson is simply grown men behaving like boys always wanted, but were
never allowed to.

How many people have sat behind a caravan doing 40mph on a country road,
and dreamed of having a 40mm cannon on their car to blast it out of the
way? Clarkson will build a car with a 40mm cannp0n and do it for you,
for fun.

Its a similar theme to 'jim'll'fixit' without the politically correct
paedophile.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 30 Nov 2016 15:01:41 +1100, Rod Speed wrote:

The third world uses it for everything now, dinosaur.

Oh yeah! Like I really aspire to step into line with the 3rd world! :-D

****ing idiot.

*plonk*