Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default FOAK: Minor roads maps online?

Fount of all knowledge request:

Our local council has given notice of closing a local road for a week or
so.

Typically, instead of asking the local paper to notify readers that "the
road from A to B will be closed for X from DD ...", they have taken an
advert in the form of a Public Notice, and stated the po-faced bare
facts: "the C123 will be closed from its junction with the U456 to its
junction with the U987".

Since only the highway people themselves know what the C123, U456 and
U987 actually are, we are somewhat in the dark.

I'd like to look at a map which identifies these roads. Googlemaps
doesn't seem to do this. Does any online map?

Thanks a lot for any advice,
John

p.s. I recognize the 'legal requirements' placed upon local councils,
but what harm would it do for them to also get the paper to publish a
brief, informal, and highly informative article, which we could all
understand?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Another John formulated the question :
Typically, instead of asking the local paper to notify readers that "the
road from A to B will be closed for X from DD ...", they have taken an
advert in the form of a Public Notice, and stated the po-faced bare
facts: "the C123 will be closed from its junction with the U456 to its
junction with the U987".

If you type into GoogleEarths search box c123 it will find the road and
zoom into to it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 Nov 2016 20:01:12 +0000, Another John wrote:

Typically, instead of asking the local paper to notify readers that "the
road from A to B will be closed for X from DD ...", they have taken an
advert in the form of a Public Notice, and stated the po-faced bare
facts: "the C123 will be closed from its junction with the U456 to its
junction with the U987".

Since only the highway people themselves know what the C123, U456 and
U987 actually are, we are somewhat in the dark.

I'd like to look at a map which identifies these roads. Googlemaps
doesn't seem to do this. Does any online map?

Try streetmap.co.uk, use the search and then zoom in to the OS map
1:50000 level.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Harry Bloomfield
writes
Another John formulated the question :
Typically, instead of asking the local paper to notify readers that "the
road from A to B will be closed for X from DD ...", they have taken an
advert in the form of a Public Notice, and stated the po-faced bare
facts: "the C123 will be closed from its junction with the U456 to its
junction with the U987".

If you type into GoogleEarths search box c123 it will find the road and
zoom into to it.

For those who haven't found it already
http://magic.defra.gov.uk/MagicMap.aspx can be useful. Better aerial
photos than I find on Google Earth.

You may be impressed to see how much is available on line about land
owners and support payments/agreements:-(

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Tim Lamb Wrote in message:
In message , Harry Bloomfield
writes
Another John formulated the question :
Typically, instead of asking the local paper to notify readers that "the
road from A to B will be closed for X from DD ...", they have taken an
advert in the form of a Public Notice, and stated the po-faced bare
facts: "the C123 will be closed from its junction with the U456 to its
junction with the U987".

If you type into GoogleEarths search box c123 it will find the road and
zoom into to it.

For those who haven't found it already
http://magic.defra.gov.uk/MagicMap.aspx can be useful. Better aerial
photos than I find on Google Earth.

Mmm interesting, tho the aerial imagery is rather out of date
compared to google earth /maps & reality in my locale.

You may be impressed to see how much is available on line about land
owners and support payments/agreements:-(

Indeed :-(

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, November 20, 2016 at 8:16:54 PM UTC, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Another John formulated the question :
Typically, instead of asking the local paper to notify readers that "the
road from A to B will be closed for X from DD ...", they have taken an
advert in the form of a Public Notice, and stated the po-faced bare
facts: "the C123 will be closed from its junction with the U456 to its
junction with the U987".

If you type into GoogleEarths search box c123 it will find the road and
zoom into to it.

Only if you're lucky. Unlike A and B roads, C road numbers are under the control of local authorities; there may be multiple instances of C123 or whatever. None of the C roads I know of show up on Google maps or Streetview.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 21 November 2016 07:38:23 UTC, Halmyre wrote:

Only if you're lucky. Unlike A and B roads, C road numbers are under the control of local authorities; there may be multiple instances of C123 or whatever. None of the C roads I know of shows up on Google maps or Streetview.

This is a BOAT and it is on Streetmap.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CxxTDFlXAAAAAqE.jpg

www.streetmap.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 21 November 2016 07:38:23 UTC, Halmyre wrote:
On Sunday, November 20, 2016 at 8:16:54 PM UTC, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Another John formulated the question :
Typically, instead of asking the local paper to notify readers that "the
road from A to B will be closed for X from DD ...", they have taken an
advert in the form of a Public Notice, and stated the po-faced bare
facts: "the C123 will be closed from its junction with the U456 to its
junction with the U987".

If you type into GoogleEarths search box c123 it will find the road and
zoom into to it.

Only if you're lucky. Unlike A and B roads, C road numbers are under the control of local authorities; there may be multiple instances of C123 or whatever. None of the C roads I know of show up on Google maps or Streetview.

This is a BOAT and it is on Streetmap.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CxxToyJXEAEdASZ.jpg

www.streetmap.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Another John Wrote in message:
[...]

Does the council have an online/email help facility?
If so I'd copy the meaningless numbers sentence from the ad &
send it to them asking for a translation into usable knowledge,
and asking which department's responsible for the great scheme,
then email them cc your local councillors.
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Harry Bloomfield Wrote in message:
Another John formulated the question :
Typically, instead of asking the local paper to notify readers that "the
road from A to B will be closed for X from DD ...", they have taken an
advert in the form of a Public Notice, and stated the po-faced bare
facts: "the C123 will be closed from its junction with the U456 to its
junction with the U987".

If you type into GoogleEarths search box c123 it will find the road and
zoom into to it.

Er.... Is the OP in Costa Rica?

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Another John wrote:

Fount of all knowledge request:

Our local council has given notice of closing a local road for a week or
so.

I'd like to look at a map which identifies these roads. Googlemaps
doesn't seem to do this. Does any online map?

You might be interested in https://roadworks.org/

It doesn't have the identification you ask for, but should show
forthcoming road works.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , jim k
wrote:

Harry Bloomfield Wrote in message:
Another John formulated the question :
Typically, instead of asking the local paper to notify readers that "the
road from A to B will be closed for X from DD ...", they have taken an
advert in the form of a Public Notice, and stated the po-faced bare
facts: "the C123 will be closed from its junction with the U456 to its
junction with the U987".

If you type into GoogleEarths search box c123 it will find the road and
zoom into to it.

Er.... Is the OP in Costa Rica?

OP here -- No -- nor in India, or Mexico, which Googlemaps also came up
with :-D I'm in the beautiful North East of England: I have a
congenital (i.e. with the birth of the internet) dislike of putting
actual data out there unless it's required --- risibly pathetic, I know,
in these days of data clouds that talk to each other, but I'm an old dog.

So anyway: thank you very much one and all for the leads and the useful
information he it might be against the grain for an old dog to learn
new tricks, but you can never get enough of new "stuff". Thanks: I'll
be getting busy!

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , jim
writes
Tim Lamb Wrote in message:

You may be impressed to see how much is available on line about land
owners and support payments/agreements:-(

Indeed :-(

Some years ago, someone posted a link to a site which showed
land/property ownership, but I've lost the link :-(

It was not a paid for service like 192.com; probably more like a
register of electors, but not that either. Ring any bells?
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Graeme
writes
In message , jim
writes
Tim Lamb Wrote in message:

You may be impressed to see how much is available on line about land
owners and support payments/agreements:-(

Indeed :-(

Some years ago, someone posted a link to a site which showed
land/property ownership, but I've lost the link :-(

It was not a paid for service like 192.com; probably more like a
register of electors, but not that either. Ring any bells?

It is a while since I have used it but if you register with Land
Registry a modest fee £3.00? gets you the ownership details of a
specific parcel.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 22/11/16 19:57, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Graeme
writes
In message , jim
writes
Tim Lamb Wrote in message:

You may be impressed to see how much is available on line about land
owners and support payments/agreements:-(

Indeed :-(

Some years ago, someone posted a link to a site which showed
land/property ownership, but I've lost the link :-(

It was not a paid for service like 192.com; probably more like a
register of electors, but not that either. Ring any bells?

It is a while since I have used it but if you register with Land
Registry a modest fee £3.00? gets you the ownership details of a
specific parcel.

£4. plus another £4 if you want a plan. There is an online search with a
map which is quite useful.

https://eservices.landregistry.gov.u...roperty_Search

--
djc

(–€Ì¿Ä¹Ì¯–€Ì¿ Ì¿)
No low-hanging fruit, just a lot of small berries up a tall tree.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb Wrote in message:

You may be impressed to see how much is available on line about land
owners and support payments/agreements:-(

Indeed :-(

Some years ago, someone posted a link to a site which showed
land/property ownership, but I've lost the link :-(

It was not a paid for service like 192.com; probably more like a
register of electors, but not that either. Ring any bells?

It is a while since I have used it but if you register with Land
Registry a modest fee £3.00? gets you the ownership details of a
specific parcel.

£4. plus another £4 if you want a plan. There is an online search with a
map which is quite useful.

https://eservices.landregistry.gov.u...roperty_Search

It says £3.00 for each on the website. And that;s what I paid a couple of
weeks ago!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/11/2016 20:01, Another John wrote:
Fount of all knowledge request:

Our local council has given notice of closing a local road for a week or
so.

Typically, instead of asking the local paper to notify readers that "the
road from A to B will be closed for X from DD ...", they have taken an
advert in the form of a Public Notice, and stated the po-faced bare
facts: "the C123 will be closed from its junction with the U456 to its
junction with the U987".

Since only the highway people themselves know what the C123, U456 and
U987 actually are, we are somewhat in the dark.

There should also be a PDF that they sent to local or parish councils
and if there isn't then you should complain to the planning officer or
highways works supervisor (each may point you at the other).

Immediately prior to closure they should display notices on the route
saying when it will be closed and sign an alternate route. If you live
on the road then they have to let you reach your property most of the
time. Some businesses can be seriously affected by these road closures.

You do get rogue ones where they dig a trench preventing anyone getting
their car in or out someitmes. One made the headlines last year.

I'd like to look at a map which identifies these roads. Googlemaps
doesn't seem to do this. Does any online map?

Thanks a lot for any advice,
John

p.s. I recognize the 'legal requirements' placed upon local councils,
but what harm would it do for them to also get the paper to publish a
brief, informal, and highly informative article, which we could all
understand?

When they did this sort of thing to our cNNN road with no name we got a
letter through the door which served also as a residents pass to get
through the road blocks at each end. No through traffic allowed.

They enjoy tarring and feathering roads in autumn and also for some
strange reason adding kerbs to country lane bends so that the trapped
water is another 6" deeper when it rains. Several places on our road
already made excellent traps for Renault cars when there is severe rain
it will be even more fun now with the extra added depth.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:

They enjoy tarring and feathering roads in autumn ...

Good expression! Very accurate.

Mind: it's got to the state now where we are grateful even for the
tarring and feathering.

BTW: the road they are closing was (*miraculously*!!) *properly*
resurfaced in 2015 (i.e. closed, planed, and whole layers laid down.
We suspect they're going to close it because BT want to dig a trench the
whole length of this new, silky, road in order to lay fibre. Progress.

J.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Lamb
writes
In message , Graeme
writes

Some years ago, someone posted a link to a site which showed
land/property ownership, but I've lost the link :-(

It was not a paid for service like 192.com; probably more like a
register of electors, but not that either. Ring any bells?

It is a while since I have used it but if you register with Land
Registry a modest fee £3.00? gets you the ownership details of a
specific parcel.

Thanks, yes, I have used the Land Registry site, but at one time I had a
link to a site where I could browse similar details, free. It may have
been occupant(s) rather than owners, though.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

Tim Lamb Wrote in message:

You may be impressed to see how much is available on line about land
owners and support payments/agreements:-(

Indeed :-(

Some years ago, someone posted a link to a site which showed
land/property ownership, but I've lost the link :-(

It was not a paid for service like 192.com; probably more like a
register of electors, but not that either. Ring any bells?

It is a while since I have used it but if you register with Land
Registry a modest fee £3.00? gets you the ownership details of a
specific parcel.

£4. plus another £4 if you want a plan. There is an online search with a
map which is quite useful.

https://eservices.landregistry.gov.u...roperty_Search

It says £3.00 for each on the website. And that;s what I paid a couple of
weeks ago!

Sorry, my memory must be going now I've finally moved to the country. I
have purchased enough of them in the past three years. (If you view a
property and are thinking of making an offer the title and plan can be
very useful.)

--
djc

(–€Ì¿Ä¹Ì¯–€Ì¿ Ì¿)
No low-hanging fruit, just a lot of small berries up a tall tree.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb Wrote in message:

[...]

That's OK! Just correcting the record. The service is instant, too. I
used it to disciver the owner of the (rented) house next door and I want
to fly a cable over the corner of their garden.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, November 23, 2016 at 10:19:05 AM UTC, Another John wrote:
In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:

They enjoy tarring and feathering roads in autumn ...

Good expression! Very accurate.

Mind: it's got to the state now where we are grateful even for the
tarring and feathering.

BTW: the road they are closing was (*miraculously*!!) *properly*
resurfaced in 2015 (i.e. closed, planed, and whole layers laid down.
We suspect they're going to close it because BT want to dig a trench the
whole length of this new, silky, road in order to lay fibre. Progress.

J.

Newly resurfaced roads are a magnet for service providers who simply itch to dig a trench in it and then fill it in with low grade materials. Years ago in Edinburgh they relaid a cobbled side street near where I lived. Beautiful job they did. It had barely been completed when some service provider came along, dug a trench across it where it met the main road, laid their cable or whatever and re-filled the hole with tarmac.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Halmyre wrote:

Newly resurfaced roads are a magnet for service providers who simply itch to dig a trench in it and then fill it in with low grade materials. Years ago in Edinburgh they relaid a cobbled side street near where I lived. Beautiful job they did. It had barely been completed when some service provider came along, dug a trench across it where it met the main road, laid their cable or whatever and re-filled the hole with tarmac.

AIUI, these days the rules have changed. Although you may
sometimes see temporary fill, everything has to be done properly,
to match the original.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Halmyre
wrote:
[...]

and the local authority had the right to require them to re-instate
properly.

Round here when a road has been properly remade, the work often fractures a
water pipe or gas main but this isn't known about until the work is
finished.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
[...]

C123 and U456 quoted by the OP are just imaginary examples to illustrate his
point. Your picture on twimg, (GridRef TF153856) may well be a C or U road
in your Hull area, but is completely irrelevant to this thread. And the
marking is not a BOAT (Byway Open To All Traffic) but just "Other route with
public access".

Are you paying £55 pounds per annum for the OS to allow you to make their
maps public? According to their terms and conditions, they won't even let
you email copies of their printed maps!
--
Dave W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 24 Nov 2016 17:50:36 +0000, Dave W wrote:

Are you paying £55 pounds per annum for the OS to allow you to make
their maps public? According to their terms and conditions, they won't
even let you email copies of their printed maps!

Don't be silly. That's from Streetmap - who no doubt pay the OS.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/11/16 20:01, Another John wrote:
[...]

It's a problem with planning issues. A roads and B roads are marked but
never C and U roads. There are different regulations about what you can
do to roadsides and entrances without planning on C and U roads. Only
the council know which is which.
Tim W
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

TimW Wrote in message:
[...]

....so one is pretty much obliged to apply for permission (and pay
them fees, naturally) to discover the situation....

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/