Posted to uk.d-i-y
Halmyre Halmyre is offline

Default FOAK: Minor roads maps online?

On Wednesday, November 23, 2016 at 10:19:05 AM UTC, Another John wrote:
In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:

They enjoy tarring and feathering roads in autumn ...

Good expression! Very accurate.

Mind: it's got to the state now where we are grateful even for the
tarring and feathering.

BTW: the road they are closing was (*miraculously*!!) *properly*
resurfaced in 2015 (i.e. closed, planed, and whole layers laid down.
We suspect they're going to close it because BT want to dig a trench the
whole length of this new, silky, road in order to lay fibre. Progress.

J.

Newly resurfaced roads are a magnet for service providers who simply itch to dig a trench in it and then fill it in with low grade materials. Years ago in Edinburgh they relaid a cobbled side street near where I lived. Beautiful job they did. It had barely been completed when some service provider came along, dug a trench across it where it met the main road, laid their cable or whatever and re-filled the hole with tarmac.