Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default Lithium batteries

Selling a camera that has a spare Lithium battery, anyone know of how I
can legally post this, as the post office refuses unless the battery is
in the item being sold.
I could I suppose sell without the spare but the battery will be of no
use to me and I would rather pass it on.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/13/2016 9:08 PM, ss wrote:
Selling a camera that has a spare Lithium battery, anyone know of how I
can legally post this, as the post office refuses unless the battery is
in the item being sold.
I could I suppose sell without the spare but the battery will be of no
use to me and I would rather pass it on.

Look for a toy or otherwise worthless film camera in a charity shop,
stick the spare battery inside it. Then you are shipping two cameras
with batteries inside.

Being *sensible*, the thing the camera supplies is mechanical
protection. Provided the spare is packaged with comparable protection
(e.g. bubble wrap inside a tobacco tin?) I think I would just be
economical with the truth.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ss writes:
Selling a camera that has a spare Lithium battery, anyone know of how I
can legally post this, as the post office refuses unless the battery is
in the item being sold.
I could I suppose sell without the spare but the battery will be of no
use to me and I would rather pass it on.

You need to use a courier which will carry lithium batteries.

CPC use UPS for lithium batteries, but it would appear the box has to
have a label on the outside saying there's a lithium battery inside.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/11/2016 21:08, ss wrote:
Selling a camera that has a spare Lithium battery, anyone know of how I
can legally post this, as the post office refuses unless the battery is
in the item being sold.
I could I suppose sell without the spare but the battery will be of no
use to me and I would rather pass it on.

Make sure the battery is in a spare box or some other insulated
container that won't get damaged in post.

--
Michael Chare

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 13/11/2016 21:57, Michael Chare wrote:
On 13/11/2016 21:08, ss wrote:
Selling a camera that has a spare Lithium battery, anyone know of how I
can legally post this, as the post office refuses unless the battery is
in the item being sold.
I could I suppose sell without the spare but the battery will be of no
use to me and I would rather pass it on.

Make sure the battery is in a spare box or some other insulated
container that won't get damaged in post.

My issue is that they x-ray many parcels and if found to fall foul ie a
spare battery they destroy the whole package, so although yes I could
pack it to be safe I could risk losing the complete parcel.
The post office point blank refuse to take them even if properly packed
(safely) according to their counter staff.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
You need to use a courier which will carry lithium batteries.

CPC use UPS for lithium batteries, but it would appear the box has to
have a label on the outside saying there's a lithium battery inside.

CollectPlus don't prohibit lithium batteries.

Or you could use the Chinese approach... tape an LED to the side and declare
it's a 'torch'...

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

So hang on a moment, if that were truly the case, how do people buy
batteries through the mail then?
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"ss" wrote in message
Selling a camera that has a spare Lithium battery, anyone know of how I
can legally post this, as the post office refuses unless the battery is in
the item being sold.
I could I suppose sell without the spare but the battery will be of no use
to me and I would rather pass it on.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

CPC use UPS - who *will* carry them. Apparently, so do CollectPlus, and
no doubt some others.

On Mon, 14 Nov 2016 09:49:56 +0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

So hang on a moment, if that were truly the case, how do people buy
batteries through the mail then?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/11/2016 21:08, ss wrote:
Selling a camera that has a spare Lithium battery, anyone know of how I
can legally post this, as the post office refuses unless the battery is
in the item being sold.
I could I suppose sell without the spare but the battery will be of no
use to me and I would rather pass it on.

http://www.royalmail.com/sites/defau...cted-Items.pdf

If the destination is within the UK, and being sent with an electronic
device but not fitted inside that device (e.g. including a spare battery
with the camera), then the Royal Mail will accept it. See "Electronic
devices sent with lithium batteries" section above. I've found it's not
uncommon for Post Offices to quote Royal Mail's International
destination rules despite asking about UK destination items when I've
verbally asked, rather than the more relaxed UK destination rules which
should have applied.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Hearn wrote:
destination rules despite asking about UK destination items when I've
verbally asked,

How else would you have asked? :-)

--
Chris Green
·

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 14/11/2016 10:31, David Hearn wrote:
http://www.royalmail.com/sites/defau...cted-Items.pdf

If the destination is within the UK, and being sent with an electronic
device but not fitted inside that device (e.g. including a spare battery
with the camera), then the Royal Mail will accept it. See "Electronic
devices sent with lithium batteries" section above. I've found it's not
uncommon for Post Offices to quote Royal Mail's International
destination rules despite asking about UK destination items when I've
verbally asked, rather than the more relaxed UK destination rules which
should have applied.

Thanks for that, I better print that section off in readiness of having
to argue with them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/11/2016 21:08, ss wrote:
Selling a camera that has a spare Lithium battery, anyone know of how I
can legally post this, as the post office refuses unless the battery is
in the item being sold.
I could I suppose sell without the spare but the battery will be of no
use to me and I would rather pass it on.

Make sure the battery is in a spare box or some other insulated
container that won't get damaged in post.

My issue is that they x-ray many parcels and if found to fall foul ie a
spare battery they destroy the whole package, so although yes I could
pack it to be safe I could risk losing the complete parcel.
The post office point blank refuse to take them even if properly packed
(safely) according to their counter staff.

Yes, I know I did not answer your question! When I think of it, I have
received several Lithium 18650 batteries in the post, just by
themselves. Maybe, it is just as well that I just buy cheap ones.

--
Michael Chare

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/11/2016 21:08, ss wrote:
[...]

I have just scraped a pack of Energiser Lithium L91 AA's out of the ice
at the bottom of the freezer. Must have bought them more than
10 years ago. They still read 1.57 volts.

I was wondering why I hadn't seem them on sale anywhere for many years.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 22:28:42 on Sun, 13 Nov
2016, ss remarked:

The post office point blank refuse to take them even if properly packed
(safely) according to their counter staff.

The rule used to be that it was OK if the phone was in its original
packaging, which sometimes has the battery packed separately in a
plastic bag.
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 22:28:42 on Sun, 13 Nov
2016, ss remarked:

My issue is that they x-ray many parcels and if found to fall foul ie a
spare battery they destroy the whole package, so although yes I could
pack it to be safe I could risk losing the complete parcel.

Send it as two parcels.
--
Roland Perry