Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Free electricity?

On Sunday, 13 November 2016 10:33:04 UTC, Chris Green wrote:
alan_m wrote:

The only way you may be getting free electricity is if you have dropped
off of the radar - your old supplier has closed the account and your new
supplier has no record of you signing up.

Which does happen, my daughter got her electricity for nothing for
several years for this reason. She repeatedly tried to find who her
supplier was to no avail. As a result she *didn't* get a huge
backdated bill when it was finally sorted out because only one year's
worth was chargeable.

I am toying with the idea of getting rid of my gas central heating, converting to 100% electric and so I will pay NO energy charges at all!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/11/2016 11:08, dennis@home wrote:
On 12/11/2016 10:38, Simon Mason wrote:
On Saturday, 12 November 2016 10:32:20 UTC, Brian Gaff wrote:
As I read it, you have to have both Gas and Electric from them and
have to have a certain type of smart meter, and not have any of the
economy tariffs like economy 7. In this case they can read your
meter, but I still understood you have to have a direct debit set
up as any power used before this is priced at the standard default
rate wh until that is actual up and running.

I have an old fashioned rotating disc electricity meter and there is
no way they can remotely read it. The only way they can charge me is
if a bloke turns up with a torch and clipboard, but I haven't seen
one of those for several years.

Your free electricity will only start once they have installed your
smart meter. They use the smart meter to give the free electricity.
Anything else is charged at the normal rate.

are there any storage heaters that could store enough heat during the
weekend to last the other five days ?.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/11/2016 08:45, Brian Gaff wrote:
Well, very peculiar, as I'm certain I read that they have to install the
smart meter to give you this free function so they can monitor usage. Sounds
to me like you have fallen through some crack in the system somewhere and
I'd make enquiries sooner rather than later, as they will sting you
megabucks otherwise.
Which reminds me, EDF have already missed telling me about a meter reading
appointment, so I have two quarters outstanding now. Time to get a pointy
stick out with them I think.
Brian

My neighbour had free electricity for 10 years at his MOT business
because EDF failed to switch the account into his name.

When they tried to bill him for £6,000 of consumption he refused
to pay because they had not sent him a bill, even though he knew
they had made the original mistake.

EDF wrote the £6,000 off.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/11/16 16:13, Andrew wrote:
[...]

Yes. but not that are easy to make.

I estimated that a well insulated swimming pool full of boiling hot
water under a house would be enough to heat it for many days.

If you do the sums, lets say you need 50W/sq meter to heat a house.,
(which is actually a LOT) and you have a meter depth of (insulated) hot
water under it... so a cubic meter of water or a metric toinne...at say
80°C that you will allow to go down to say 50°C before its 'exhausted'
in terms of heating...well that's 30x1000x1000x1000 calories or 30,000
kcalories

30,000 kilocalories is about 35 kwh Since we only need 50W, that is
around 700 hours. Around about a *month* of heat.

To run a CH off that is easy. Just put the CH primary in a big coil in
the heat bank and pump it round. Or even just have selective removal of
bits of insulation to allow the heat to rise.

In practice the way you would make this is to cut a huge pit, line it
with a lot of polystyrene, cast a base on it, then build up the
foundation of the house as blockwork with polystyrene outside it and
then backfill to keep the styrene in place. An insulated block and beam
floor over the top completes the construction. You would need so make
some of the construction more waterproof than is traditional of course.

It is an interesting fact that of all the ways to store energy, if all
you want at the end of it is low garde heat, bloody great lumps of
stone concrete or water are in fact cheap and effective.

What doesn't work is a few cinder blocks in a storage heater though.

The mass required has to be build into the house somehow. What you are
really looking for is cheap well insulated mass. Water is perhaps the
easiest, but concrete, stone or masonry would work too. But by volume
they are not as good as water.

But Marxism is the crack cocaine.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote:

The only way you may be getting free electricity is if you have dropped
off of the radar - your old supplier has closed the account and your
new
supplier has no record of you signing up.

Which does happen, my daughter got her electricity for nothing for
several years for this reason. She repeatedly tried to find who her
supplier was to no avail. As a result she *didn't* get a huge
backdated bill when it was finally sorted out because only one year's
worth was chargeable.

I am toying with the idea of getting rid of my gas central heating,
converting to 100% electric and so I will pay NO energy charges at all!

Brilliant idea, then with all the money you save buy another few dozen
watches.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jethro_uk" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 12 Nov 2016 11:33:28 -0800, Simon Mason wrote:

On Saturday, 12 November 2016 19:28:12 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

Because its a smart meter and they can read it themselves, stupid.
They just dont show the electricity on the bill. You're paying for it
anyway.

I STILL HAVE AN OLD SPINNING DISC METER FROM WHEN IT WAS BUILT IN 1964.

I thought there was a statutory obligation to replace meters every 10
years (maximum) ?

You'd be less smug if your meter had been over-reading for 42 years ....

They under read over time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote:

The only way you may be getting free electricity is if you have dropped
off of the radar - your old supplier has closed the account and your
new
supplier has no record of you signing up.

Which does happen, my daughter got her electricity for nothing for
several years for this reason. She repeatedly tried to find who her
supplier was to no avail. As a result she *didn't* get a huge
backdated bill when it was finally sorted out because only one year's
worth was chargeable.

I am toying with the idea of getting rid of my gas central heating,
converting to 100% electric and so I will pay NO energy charges at all!

Brilliant idea, then with all the money you save buy another few dozen
watches.

When I get my new job, I will definitely get electric central heating.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote:

The only way you may be getting free electricity is if you have
dropped
off of the radar - your old supplier has closed the account and your
new
supplier has no record of you signing up.

Which does happen, my daughter got her electricity for nothing for
several years for this reason. She repeatedly tried to find who her
supplier was to no avail. As a result she *didn't* get a huge
backdated bill when it was finally sorted out because only one year's
worth was chargeable.

I am toying with the idea of getting rid of my gas central heating,
converting to 100% electric and so I will pay NO energy charges at all!

Brilliant idea, then with all the money you save buy another few dozen
watches.

When I get my new job, I will definitely get electric central heating.

More fool you. They will have cut your electricity
off by then and taken the Giulia to pay for it.

Stupid name for a car too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 15 November 2016 05:24:50 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

When I get my new job, I will definitely get electric central heating.

More fool you. They will have cut your electricity
off by then and taken the Giulia to pay for it.

Stupid name for a car too.

Careful, that is our lass's name!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Mason wrote
Rod Speed wrote

When I get my new job, I will definitely get electric central heating.

More fool you. They will have cut your electricity
off by then and taken the Giulia to pay for it.

Stupid name for a car too.

Careful, that is our lass's name!

She's too far away to bite me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 14 November 2016 16:13:04 UTC, Andrew wrote:
[...]

No.
There is no insulation that is good enough.
Most of the heat would be lost.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message
[...]

Correct.

There is no insulation that is good enough.
Most of the heat would be lost.

Even sillier and more pig ignorant than you usually manage.

The problem isnt the insulation, its the heat
capacity of what the heat is stored in, stupid.

Not feasible to have enough of in a normal house.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote:

The only way you may be getting free electricity is if you have
dropped
off of the radar - your old supplier has closed the account and your
new
supplier has no record of you signing up.

Which does happen, my daughter got her electricity for nothing for
several years for this reason. She repeatedly tried to find who her
supplier was to no avail. As a result she *didn't* get a huge
backdated bill when it was finally sorted out because only one year's
worth was chargeable.

I am toying with the idea of getting rid of my gas central heating,
converting to 100% electric and so I will pay NO energy charges at all!

Brilliant idea, then with all the money you save buy another few dozen
watches.

When I get my new job, I will definitely get electric central heating.

You must be strapped for cash if you retired and now need a job. Mugs game.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andrew
writes
[...]

Are there any storage heaters that store enough heat to last the next
day?
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 15 November 2016 09:31:49 UTC, bm wrote:

When I get my new job, I will definitely get electric central heating.

You must be strapped for cash if you retired and now need a job. Mugs game.

After 2 years of holidays, I'm bored.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 13 November 2016 09:05:49 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

Not if he isnt actually stupid enough to assume he is getting free
electricity.

SO FAR, SO GOOD!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CxUikqxXUAAWFAk.jpg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Mason wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Not if he isnt actually stupid enough
to assume he is getting free electricity.

SO FAR, SO GOOD!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CxUikqxXUAAWFAk.jpg

And when they replace the meter with a smartmeter, AS YOU HAVE
AGREED TO, TO GET THE FREE ELECTRICITY ON THE WEEKEND,
they will read the old meter before removing it and send you the
bill for the electricity you have used since you changed to them
and when you refuse to pay that, they will cut off both your
electricity and gas and seize the Giulia to pay for the electricity.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 15 November 2016 19:36:00 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
Simon Mason wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Not if he isnt actually stupid enough
to assume he is getting free electricity.

SO FAR, SO GOOD!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CxUikqxXUAAWFAk.jpg

And when they replace the meter with a smartmeter, AS YOU HAVE
AGREED TO, TO GET THE FREE ELECTRICITY ON THE WEEKEND,

I WILL TELL THEM I DON'T WANT ONE, AFTER ALL.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
On Tuesday, 15 November 2016 19:36:00 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
Simon Mason wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Not if he isnt actually stupid enough
to assume he is getting free electricity.

SO FAR, SO GOOD!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CxUikqxXUAAWFAk.jpg

And when they replace the meter with a smartmeter, AS YOU HAVE
AGREED TO, TO GET THE FREE ELECTRICITY ON THE WEEKEND,

I WILL TELL THEM I DON'T WANT ONE, AFTER ALL.

AND THEY WILL THEN READ THE METER AND SEND YOU THE BILL
FOR THE ELECTRICITY YOU HAVE USED, AND SEIZE THE GIULIA
WHEN YOU ARE STUPID ENOUGH TO REFUSE TO PAY AND WILL
CUT OFF BOTH THE ELECTRICITY AND GAS.