Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Anyone got experience of online estate agents?

My house is in an area where they sell really easily so I'm thinking of using

https://www.visum.co.uk/Pricing/Sales

All I want is for my house to appear on Rightmove and this seems the cheapest way to achieve that - once I've found interested buyers I can do the rest myself.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Murmansk wrote:
My house is in an area where they sell really easily so I'm thinking
of using

https://www.visum.co.uk/Pricing/Sales

All I want is for my house to appear on Rightmove and this seems the
cheapest way to achieve that - once I've found interested buyers I
can do the rest myself.

A bloke about a mile away from me tried something similar.
Nothing happened.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 08 Nov 2016 19:14:09 -0000, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

Murmansk wrote:
My house is in an area where they sell really easily so I'm thinking
of using

https://www.visum.co.uk/Pricing/Sales

All I want is for my house to appear on Rightmove and this seems the
cheapest way to achieve that - once I've found interested buyers I
can do the rest myself.

A bloke about a mile away from me tried something similar.
Nothing happened.

I've seen houses for sale (in decent areas) with just a mobile number on a home made sign. Not sure where they advertised, but they sold as quick as any estate agent ones.

--
Always talk to your wife while you're making love -- if there's a phone handy.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Murmansk wrote:
My house is in an area where they sell really easily so I'm thinking
of using

https://www.visum.co.uk/Pricing/Sales

All I want is for my house to appear on Rightmove and this seems the
cheapest way to achieve that - once I've found interested buyers I
can do the rest myself.

A bloke about a mile away from me tried something similar.
Nothing happened.

I've seen houses for sale (in decent areas) with just a mobile number on
a home made sign. Not sure where they advertised, but they sold as
quick as any estate agent ones.

Apart from exposure and showing people around (the latter is eminently
DIYable), Estate Agents off nothing else of value.

And the security side of the process (checks, surveys etc) are handled
by others and would be done just the same for a non agent advert - so
really, if you can get the eyeballs on your house and have the time to
show people around and answer the phone, there's no disadvantage.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Murmansk wrote:
[...]

Depends how easy and cheap it is to advertise on the main websites. I assume the estate agents have discounts. Anyway, what does an estate agent charge nowadays? It might not be worth the bother of avoiding them.

--
If you think people aren't creative, watch them try to re-fold a roadmap.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Murmansk wrote:
[...]

I've only ever bought a house, and that cost me £300 in 2000. I assumed selling cost about the same.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Murmansk wrote:
[...]

One option to consider that will both address the concern about
security/safety and will also make arranging viewings easier is to
follow the system that has been used in Scotland for decades, namely
fixed viewing times:

Viewings are usually fixed at one afternoon/evening during the week
(usually Thursday 19:00-21:00), and Sunday 14:00-16:00.

People simply turn up and look around, and you always have the option to
accommodate special requests, but it keeps everything much simpler.
You obviously keep your options open
Posted to uk.d-i-y

news

wrote:

Murmansk wrote:
[...]

But that is a lot less than their fee.

Anyway, what does an estate agent charge nowadays?

Quite a lot.

It might not be worth the bother of avoiding them.

Don't believe that.

I'm actually watching someone doing it using facebook currently.
Been having open days on most saturdays for quite a while now.
Not clear what the current tenants think of that, they were away
when I had a look myself. The price isnt that different to what other
similar places have sold for but it looks like it might well take rather
longer to sell than is usual. But most sold by agents are sold by
auction here currently, including the one I bought recently.

Just watched one of my neighbour's who died of grog/diabetes
house sold by an agent. Very little promotion at all, one open
house, usual thing here, with an auction scheduled, Then a sold
sign a week or so before the auction. For some reason the price
still isnt avail on the web site that usually lists that. Havent actually
spoken to the new owner yet, he does show up a bit for a few
hours but hasn't moved in yet for some reason.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Murmansk wrote:
[...]

Auction isn't common here, and I've seen a lot of houses with an estate agent sign in the garden for over a year.

--
WinError: Unable to exit Windows. Try the door.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Murmansk wrote:
[...]

Sure, but your area is hardly the hottest real estate market.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

news On Tue, 08 Nov 2016 21:51:09 -0000, Tim Watts

wrote:

Murmansk wrote:
[...]

They claim there's a housing shortage. Funny how houses sit empty.

--
Freeze mother stickers, this is a **** up!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Murmansk wrote:
[...]

Not in your area they don't.

Funny how houses sit empty.

Because few want to live there.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Murmansk wrote:
My house is in an area where they sell really easily so I'm thinking
of using

https://www.visum.co.uk/Pricing/Sales

All I want is for my house to appear on Rightmove and this seems the
cheapest way to achieve that - once I've found interested buyers I
can do the rest myself.

A bloke about a mile away from me tried something similar.
Nothing happened.

I've seen houses for sale (in decent areas) with just a mobile number on
a home made sign. Not sure where they advertised, but they sold as
quick as any estate agent ones.

Apart from exposure and showing people around (the latter is eminently
DIYable), Estate Agents off nothing else of value.

While that is a commonly held point of view, I am not convinced that is
true...

The real world performance of the various "online only" agents seems to
indicate that they have a lower completion rate than the better[1]
traditional agents.

And the security side of the process (checks, surveys etc) are handled
by others and would be done just the same for a non agent advert - so
really, if you can get the eyeballs on your house and have the time to
show people around and answer the phone, there's no disadvantage.

While one might argue that an online agent can do the upload to the
property portals and some marketing, what they seem poorer at is chain
management and sales progression, and its here where the online agents
tend to lose sales. They also tend to lack local knowledge and their
valuations are likely to be less accurate, which risks you selling to
low or too slow (if at all).

[1] accepting that there are some crap and very clueless traditional
agents about as well!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Murmansk wrote:
[...]

Industry average is somewhere between 1 and 1.5% typically. They may do
fixed price deals on high end properties.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Murmansk wrote:
[...]

Some agents will do "open house" type viewings like that as well -
especially for places likely to be in high demand... the better ones
will schedule 20 min slots for each set of viewers, but with a 5 min
overlap. That avoids having a negative viewer putting off other buyers,
but still makes each potential buyer "aware" of the other viewers
arriving or leaving etc. Helps shift their expectations from "what is
the lowest offer they are likely to accept for this place?" to "What
will we need to offer to win it from all the other viewers?"

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message
news On Tue, 08 Nov 2016 23:52:26 -0000, Rod Speed

wrote:

Murmansk wrote:
[...]

They do.

Funny how houses sit empty.

Because few want to live there.

Housing shortage means no houses, people have to live somewhere.

--
History teaches us that no other cause has brought more death than the word of god. -- Giulian Buzila
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Murmansk wrote:
[...]

Round here most is done by Remax, which mostly consists of posts stating "another one sold by xxxx!"

--
Peter is listening to "Johnny Cash - God's Gonna Cut You Down"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Murmansk wrote:
[...]

Ouch! So 1-1.5K on a 100K house! OMFG I'm amazed anyone pays that.

--
Paddy is said to be shocked at finding out all his cows have Bluetongue.
"Be Jeysus!" he said, "I didn't even know they had mobile phones!"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Murmansk wrote:
[...]

I seem to remember some weird rules about not being allowed to tell one potential buyer what another has offered. All very strange.

--
Why is there no Disneyland in China?
No one's tall enough to go on the good rides.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Murmansk wrote:
[...]

There clearly are houses there when they are for sale for a year.

people have to live somewhere.

But can rent while looking for a house to buy etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Murmansk wrote:
[...]

Ouch! So 1-1.5K on a 100K house!

Yeah, certainly worth DIYing the sale if you can get as good a result as an
agent can.

OMFG I'm amazed anyone pays that.

I'm not.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/11/16 23:25, JoeJoe wrote:

One option to consider that will both address the concern about
security/safety and will also make arranging viewings easier is to
follow the system that has been used in Scotland for decades, namely
fixed viewing times:

Viewings are usually fixed at one afternoon/evening during the week
(usually Thursday 19:00-21:00), and Sunday 14:00-16:00.

People simply turn up and look around, and you always have the option to
accommodate special requests, but it keeps everything much simpler.
You obviously keep your options open

"Open house" - a very good idea.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 08 Nov 2016 22:47:39 -0000, Tim Watts wrote:

Depends how easy and cheap it is to advertise on the main websites. I
assume the estate agents have discounts. Anyway, what does an estate
agent charge nowadays? It might not be worth the bother of avoiding
them.

A bloody fortune!

I've only ever bought a house, and that cost me £300 in 2000. I assumed
selling cost about the same.

Estate Agents charge anywhere upto 3.5%. So your £200k flat is costing
£7000 in fees which the seller pays.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Murmansk wrote:
[...]

I guess it depends how hot your property is.

If it's slow, a real agent might a) make proactive calls to buyers on
his books; b) ring people and talk up the sale, pressurising them to
make an offer before someone else does.

OTOH if you sell a flat in Sutton, London (the less stabby part near the
station), the thing will sell itself and you have a Zoopla's worth of
real Land Registry sales data from 3+ months ago of identical flats to
gauge the selling price.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 8 November 2016 22:33:52 UTC, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
Depends how easy and cheap it is to advertise on the main websites.
I assume the estate agents have discounts.

Rightmove is definately agent-only advertising, no private advertisers accepted. I think Zoopla is similar.

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/11/16 07:43, wrote:
On Tuesday, 8 November 2016 22:33:52 UTC, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
Depends how easy and cheap it is to advertise on the main websites.
I assume the estate agents have discounts.

Rightmove is definately agent-only advertising, no private advertisers accepted. I think Zoopla is similar.

Owain

But you can get on both using an inexpensive online-only self service
"agent"

https://www.tepilo.com/ is the lowest I can find, £495 and gets you on
Zoopla and Rightmove and PrimeLocation.

A few value added bits like "online bookings for viewing" and stuff.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

wrote:

Depends how easy and cheap it is to advertise on the main websites. I
assume the estate agents have discounts. Anyway, what does an estate
agent charge nowadays? It might not be worth the bother of avoiding
them.

A bloody fortune!

I've only ever bought a house, and that cost me £300 in 2000. I assumed
selling cost about the same.

Estate Agents charge anywhere upto 3.5%. So your £200k flat is costing
£7000 in fees which the seller pays.

I've paid 1% + VAT, after a bit of haggling. Certainly, 2% is easily
achieved around here. If the OP's property is worth £100k, say, he might
end up paying an agent £2k. But, he only pays that if the property
actually sells.

The Visum service he linked to is £110 in the first month and £50 a
month thereafter. So, say £250 to £500 to achieve a sale.

I'd say go for it!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

It is possible to negotiate a deal with an estate agent.

When we sold my mums home, it was '2% up to £475k plus 10% of anything
over that'

Gave them a huge incentive to bargain for the best possible price
instead of going for a quick deal.

--
"Socialist governments traditionally do make a financial mess. They
always run out of other people's money. It's quite a characteristic of them"

Margaret Thatcher
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 09 Nov 2016 02:02:36 -0000, John Rumm

Depends how easy and cheap it is to advertise on the main websites. I
assume the estate agents have discounts. Anyway, what does an estate
agent charge nowadays? It might not be worth the bother of avoiding
them.

Industry average is somewhere between 1 and 1.5% typically. They may do
fixed price deals on high end properties.

Ouch! So 1-1.5K on a 100K house! OMFG I'm amazed anyone pays that.

Not having a practical alternative tends to focus the mind.

Quite often its dwarfed by the other costs of moving anyway.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Some agents will do "open house" type viewings like that as well -
especially for places likely to be in high demand... the better ones
will schedule 20 min slots for each set of viewers, but with a 5 min
overlap. That avoids having a negative viewer putting off other buyers,
but still makes each potential buyer "aware" of the other viewers
arriving or leaving etc. Helps shift their expectations from "what is
the lowest offer they are likely to accept for this place?" to "What
will we need to offer to win it from all the other viewers?"

I seem to remember some weird rules about not being allowed to tell one
potential buyer what another has offered. All very strange.

Would you want a company you are dealing with to tell strangers details
of your financial transactions and offers?

They are allowed to tell a prospective buyer that there are already
higher offers under consideration - that's all they need to know really.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Murmansk wrote:
[...]

Indeed. Also how "difficult" the chain you end up in is.

If it's slow, a real agent might a) make proactive calls to buyers on
his books; b) ring people and talk up the sale, pressurising them to
make an offer before someone else does.

They will also properly qualify the offers - make sure the buyer has
finance in place etc and is not just blowing smoke.

But, yup in some cases a place will have a very fixed price regardless
of its actual condition - just because of its circumstances. So you
could probably hand write a for sale board, and stick it outside and it
would sell.

OTOH if you sell a flat in Sutton, London (the less stabby part near the

(was that a typo for "shabby", or just a reflection on the quality of
the local youth?)

station), the thing will sell itself and you have a Zoopla's worth of
real Land Registry sales data from 3+ months ago of identical flats to
gauge the selling price.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

wrote:

[...]

Did you think of 0% up to £475k and 50% above that figure?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Yes, buy the agents said 'no' and we did need the agents.

I was 90 miles way, and my sisters were 1000, and 1500 miles away
respectively.

Someone had to let the punters in.

Josef Stalin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/11/16 11:24, John Rumm wrote:
On 09/11/2016 07:12, Tim Watts wrote:

OTOH if you sell a flat in Sutton, London (the less stabby part near the

(was that a typo for "shabby", or just a reflection on the quality of
the local youth?)

It's why I left...

Either the stabbings or the drunken throwing of other ****heads through
shop windows.

There was a murder practically opposite me too (stabbing). Came home,
place covered in police tape.

This was near the station.

If you want to have a near cast iron guarantee of getting your head
kicked in or robbed, live up the north end (Rosehill et al) - that
really is an utter ********.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 09 Nov 2016 10:54:19 -0000, Jethro_uk wrote:

On Wed, 09 Nov 2016 00:42:46 +0000, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

They claim there's a housing shortage. Funny how houses sit empty.

What they actually mean is "there's a housing shortage where people want
to live" which is not quite the same thing.

The UK needs to break the ludicrous obsession with living in the SE. And
I say that as an expat Londonder born and bred.

If it's just in some areas, then it's not some kind of national emergency like they make out.

--
What is the difference between a battery and a woman?
A battery has a positive side.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 09 Nov 2016 11:14:58 -0000, John Rumm wrote:

On Wed, 09 Nov 2016 02:02:36 -0000, John Rumm

Depends how easy and cheap it is to advertise on the main websites. I
assume the estate agents have discounts. Anyway, what does an estate
agent charge nowadays? It might not be worth the bother of avoiding
them.

Industry average is somewhere between 1 and 1.5% typically. They may do
fixed price deals on high end properties.

Ouch! So 1-1.5K on a 100K house! OMFG I'm amazed anyone pays that.

Not having a practical alternative tends to focus the mind.

Quite often its dwarfed by the other costs of moving anyway.

I can't think of another cost that great associated with moving.

--
I have the world's oldest typewriter - it prints in pencil
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I'm referring to if I want to buy your house, them refusing to tell me if I've made an offer high enough.

--
It is easier to get forgiveness than permission.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 09 Nov 2016 07:08:52 -0000, Tim Watts wrote:

On Tue, 08 Nov 2016 22:47:39 -0000, Tim Watts wrote:

Depends how easy and cheap it is to advertise on the main websites. I
assume the estate agents have discounts. Anyway, what does an estate
agent charge nowadays? It might not be worth the bother of avoiding
them.

A bloody fortune!

I've only ever bought a house, and that cost me £300 in 2000. I assumed
selling cost about the same.

Estate Agents charge anywhere upto 3.5%. So your £200k flat is costing
£7000 in fees which the seller pays.

Who the hell pays that for a FLAT?!

--
I was doing some remolishments to my house the other day and accidentally defurbished it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

I can't think of another cost that great associated with moving.

SDLT can be much more, depending on property value.

Wanted: Real Estate Agents! visiakav Home Ownership 0 August 17th 10 02:20 PM
Real Estate Agents Are Taking The Power Change Change Electronics Repair 0 March 24th 10 01:03 AM
International Real Estate Directory -Find Real Estate, Rentals, Real Estate Services, Real Estate Agents and Brokers. MyDirectory Home Repair 0 December 28th 06 08:57 PM
OT - Estate Agents Tony Hogarty UK diy 0 January 20th 05 10:10 AM
Huge difference between estate agents' quotes Mike Mitchell UK diy 17 March 25th 04 09:36 AM