Floozie

Default Wiring a dimmer switch....

Hope i'm doing this right.....

i'm trying to wire up a dimmer switch (not too difficult I guess) but my
problem is this..... Both the wires on the existing light switch are red so
how can I tell which one is 'live'?? The connections on the current switch
are marked L1 and Com (i think), but this doesn't help me???

I'm sure it's a simple answer - but i'm not electrically minded.

Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Lurch

On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 21:48:30 -0000, "Floozie"
wrote:

Hope i'm doing this right.....

i'm trying to wire up a dimmer switch (not too difficult I guess) but my
problem is this..... Both the wires on the existing light switch are red so
how can I tell which one is 'live'?? The connections on the current switch
are marked L1 and Com (i think), but this doesn't help me???

I'm sure it's a simple answer - but i'm not electrically minded.

Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Simple answer-
Put one red in Com, put the other red in L1.
Turn on light!

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.

Andy Hall

wrote:

Hope i'm doing this right.....

i'm trying to wire up a dimmer switch (not too difficult I guess) but my
problem is this..... Both the wires on the existing light switch are red so
how can I tell which one is 'live'?? The connections on the current switch
are marked L1 and Com (i think), but this doesn't help me???

I'm sure it's a simple answer - but i'm not electrically minded.

Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

If it's only a one way switch, as this is, then it doesn't matter.

It would matter if it were a 2way switch and there were three or more
wires.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Lurch

wrote:

Hope i'm doing this right.....

i'm trying to wire up a dimmer switch (not too difficult I guess) but my
problem is this..... Both the wires on the existing light switch are red so
how can I tell which one is 'live'?? The connections on the current switch
are marked L1 and Com (i think), but this doesn't help me???

I'm sure it's a simple answer - but i'm not electrically minded.

Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

If it's only a one way switch, as this is, then it doesn't matter.

It would matter if it were a 2way switch and there were three or more
wires.

No it wouldn't.

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.

stevecope

wrote:

Hope i'm doing this right.....

i'm trying to wire up a dimmer switch (not too difficult I guess) but my
problem is this..... Both the wires on the existing light switch are

red so
how can I tell which one is 'live'?? The connections on the current

switch
are marked L1 and Com (i think), but this doesn't help me???

I'm sure it's a simple answer - but i'm not electrically minded.

Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

If it's only a one way switch, as this is, then it doesn't matter.

It would matter if it were a 2way switch and there were three or more
wires.

No it wouldn't.

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.

http://www.cornerhardware.com/howto/ht02.html that should help :-?

John Rumm

Lurch wrote:

No it wouldn't.

panto mode

Oh yes it would!

/panto mode

(if you ended up with the common going to L1 for example, you would
loose the "changeover" effect required, because in one switch position
the common would be not connected to anything)

--
Cheers,

John.

Lurch

If it's only a one way switch, as this is, then it doesn't matter.

It would matter if it were a 2way switch and there were three or more
wires.

No it wouldn't.

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.

http://www.cornerhardware.com/howto/ht02.html that should help :-?

What? Was that meant to clear something up somehow?

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
Lurch

On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 23:46:53 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

Lurch wrote:

No it wouldn't.

panto mode

Oh yes it would!

/panto mode

(if you ended up with the common going to L1 for example, you would
loose the "changeover" effect required, because in one switch position
the common would be not connected to anything)

Sorry, I don't need two of you at it!
I think you could be getting confused with something else, or making
it up. ;-)

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
Lurch

If it's only a one way switch, as this is, then it doesn't matter.

It would matter if it were a 2way switch and there were three or more
wires.

It would also matter if something else was different, but it
wasn't\isn't, so doesn't matter

No it wouldn't.

Of course it would.

If the wires became mixed up the switch would not work correctly.

Yes, if it was a two way, but it's not, so it bears no relevance to
this thread.

Also, there are at least two ways to wire a 2 way light circuit.

There's more than one way to skin a rabbit, your point is?

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
BigWallop

"Lurch" wrote in message

wrote:

Lurch wrote:

No it wouldn't.

panto mode

Oh yes it would!

/panto mode

(if you ended up with the common going to L1 for example, you would
loose the "changeover" effect required, because in one switch position
the common would be not connected to anything)

Sorry, I don't need two of you at it!
I think you could be getting confused with something else, or making
it up. ;-)

I'm not confused...

Ignoring the picture of the U.S. switch with wire nuts, for a 2 way
lighting connection in the UK, the placement of wires certainly
matters.

I know the placement of wires matters in 2 way switches, if I were to
take off my shoes and socks I would be barefoot. What relevance has
any of this got to a 1 way dimmer with 2 red wires and 2 terminals on
a 1 way switch?
Although if both the feed and switch wire in the twin from the fitting
are red then none of them go in common, they go in L1 and L2, any way
round, doesn't matter.

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.

I love the way these threads spiral out of control. :-)) Who the hell
mentioned two way switching in the first place ? :-))

---
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

David Hearn

Lurch wrote:
If it's only a one way switch, as this is, then it doesn't matter.

It would matter if it were a 2way switch and there were three or
more wires.

It would also matter if something else was different, but it
wasn't\isn't, so doesn't matter

No it wouldn't.

Of course it would.

If the wires became mixed up the switch would not work correctly.

Yes, if it was a two way, but it's not, so it bears no relevance to
this thread.

Yes it does relate to this thread - you replied to this message by Andy
Hall:

" If it's only a one way switch, as this is, then it doesn't matter.

It would matter if it were a 2way switch and there were three or more
wires."

The poster was correct in saying in this situation, for a 1 way switch, it
didn't matter each wire went where. He also pointed out (just so the poster
didn't assume it was also the case for more ways) that had it been a 2 way
switch then it would have mattered where the wires went.

Your reply to that (in other branch of thread - not that included at the top
of this message) was:

Which is an incorrect statement - especially as you then said later:

"I know the placement of wires matters in 2 way switches".

The only thing I can see is that you were being troll-like in making a vague
confusing reply of "No it wouldn't" meaning it didn't matter because it
wasn't a 2 way switch (which was also what the poster said) - but knowing
that it would be mis-understood to mean that the wiring didn't matter on 2
way switches. This replying then went on giving obtuse replies - not
clearing it up early by saying "It doesn't matter in this situation because
its a 1 way switch".

That, to me, is troll-like behaviour.

David

Andy Hall

On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 09:02:47 GMT, "BigWallop"
wrote:

I love the way these threads spiral out of control. :-)) Who the hell
mentioned two way switching in the first place ? :-))

I was simply providing a small piece of additional information, so
that the OP, who was uncertain about which way wires go in a 1 way
switch, would be prompted to investigate further should he work on a 2
way switch in the future. If somebody changes one switch, then they
may be planning to change another.

I didn't provide complete information on how to wire a 2 way switch
because that was not necessary.
..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
anyone

"David Hearn" wrote in message
[...]

Is there any chance you could expand on this please?

Dave Plowman

In article ,
anyone wrote:
This replying then went on giving obtuse replies - not clearing it up
early by saying "It doesn't matter in this situation because its a 1
way switch".

That, to me, is troll-like behaviour.

Is there any chance you could expand on this please?

I think the only safe way is to get IMM to explain it...

--
*This message has been ROT-13 encrypted twice for extra security *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
PoP

On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 17:39:10 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman
wrote:

I think the only safe way is to get IMM to explain it...

::Groan Mode ON::

Ohhhhhh nnnnnooooooo.......

PoP

Sending email to my published email address isn't
guaranteed to reach me.
Dave Plowman

In article ,
stevecope wrote:
Two wires one dimmer with two holes twenty odd reply's & Floozie is
still no wiser !!!!!!!!! bet they are glad it wasn't a technical
question.!!!:-))

it wont matter which wire goes into which terminal as it will work
ok

You've not come across a dimmer with a two way switch, then?

(ducks)

--
*He who laughs last has just realised the joke.

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Dave Plowman

In article ,
PoP wrote:
I think the only safe way is to get IMM to explain it...

::Groan Mode ON::

Ohhhhhh nnnnnooooooo.......

Who let Ruth in here?

--
*When cheese gets it's picture taken, what does it say?

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn

Lurch

I was simply providing a small piece of additional information, so
that the OP, who was uncertain about which way wires go in a 1 way
switch, would be prompted to investigate further should he work on a 2
way switch in the future. If somebody changes one switch, then they
may be planning to change another.

I didn't provide complete information on how to wire a 2 way switch
because that was not necessary.

1. Mentioning 2 way was totally unneccesary, that's kind of what I was
getting at.
2. If you're going to bring it up explain fully, half a story confuses
people more than it helps.
3. I haven't a clue what you're on about anyway, I'm losing the will
to live.

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
Lurch

[...]

Actually, what I meant was if it were a two way switch with a twin
coming from the light fitting it wouldn't matter which way round the
live and switch wire went into the two terminals that they were
required to go into, (L1 and L2, or similar).
If everyone would have just left it as my original answer, which was
simple as the OP wanted it wouldn't matter. When people keep sticking
irrellevant posts in threads it just confuses someone who doesn't
know, which generally the OP wouldn't.
If they wanted to know about two way switches they would ask about two
way switches, or buy a book.

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
Lurch

Flooz is now very confused..... (wonder if it's a woman thing......)

Two wires one dimmer with two holes twenty odd reply's & Floozie is still

no wiser !!!!!!!!! bet they are glad it wasn't a technical question.!!! :-))
it wont matter which wire goes into which terminal as it will work ok

My point exactly. See my original answer, then stop reading. That
answers your question. The rest, even I'm becoming confused!

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
Floozie

I'm afraid i'm a typical woman.... Wired one of these things on before, and
got a shock, hence my hesitation...

Some nice bloke at B&Q told me how to do it before, but i've forgotten.....

Got a feeling he said that whatever wire is currently in the Com terminal
should go to the 'live' terminal on the new switch, but can't honestly
remember.

One good thing is.... I now know how this newgroup works - well, sort of!
Wish me luck, will try and wire switch on tomorrow.

Thanks for all the assistance received............ watch out for my next
problem :-0

"Dave Plowman" wrote in message
In article ,
stevecope wrote:
Two wires one dimmer with two holes twenty odd reply's & Floozie is
still no wiser !!!!!!!!! bet they are glad it wasn't a technical
question.!!!:-))

it wont matter which wire goes into which terminal as it will work
ok

You've not come across a dimmer with a two way switch, then?

(ducks)

--
*He who laughs last has just realised the joke.

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn

Andy Hall

On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 21:49:44 -0000, "Floozie"
wrote:

ps. Enjoyed the Panto ;-)

Oh no you didn't.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
stevecope

stevecope wrote:
Two wires one dimmer with two holes twenty odd reply's & Floozie is
still no wiser !!!!!!!!! bet they are glad it wasn't a technical
question.!!!:-))

it wont matter which wire goes into which terminal as it will work
ok

You've not come across a dimmer with a two way switch, then?
who mentioned 2 way ???

(ducks)

--
*He who laughs last has just realised the joke.

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn

Lurch

Actually, what I meant was if it were a two way switch with a twin
coming from the light fitting it wouldn't matter which way round the
live and switch wire went into the two terminals that they were
required to go into, (L1 and L2, or similar).
If everyone would have just left it as my original answer, which was
simple as the OP wanted it wouldn't matter. When people keep sticking
irrellevant posts in threads it just confuses someone who doesn't
know, which generally the OP wouldn't.

There are such things as dimmers with 2way switching......

At what point did I say there wasn't?

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.

stevecope

"Lurch" wrote in message
Flooz is now very confused..... (wonder if it's a woman thing......)

Two wires one dimmer with two holes twenty odd reply's & Floozie is

still
no wiser !!!!!!!!! bet they are glad it wasn't a technical question.!!!

:-))
it wont matter which wire goes into which terminal as it will work ok

My point exactly. See my original answer, then stop reading. That
answers your question. The rest, even I'm becoming confused!

i agree !!! :-)) lol

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.

copey

"Floozie" wrote in message
Hope i'm doing this right.....

i'm trying to wire up a dimmer switch (not too difficult I guess) but my
problem is this..... Both the wires on the existing light switch are red

so
how can I tell which one is 'live'?? The connections on the current

switch
are marked L1 and Com (i think), but this doesn't help me???

I'm sure it's a simple answer - but i'm not electrically minded.

Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

pick up a leaflet from homebase and ignore the rest of this lot :-))

chris French

In message , Lurch
writes

If everyone would have just left it as my original answer, which was
simple as the OP wanted it wouldn't matter.

Andy's post was perfectly clear (as is his wont), a small additional
amount of information that may have saved the Op (or someone else
reading the thread) a small amount of heart ache if they came across one
that was 2 way switched.

When people keep sticking
irrellevant posts in threads it just confuses someone who doesn't
know, which generally the OP wouldn't.

What then confused the matter was your reply to Andy and the ensuing
thread.
--
Chris French, Leeds
Lurch

pick up a leaflet from homebase and ignore the rest of this lot :-))

That's why the OP is confused, because of the simplistic, non-specific
advice from Mr DIY shop. ;-)
Doesn't matter anyway, I posted the answer that solves the problem
months ago.

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.

Switch Wiring Chris Spyrou UK diy 2 November 18th 03 09:24 PM
Confused 120v & 240v Wiring - Please Help James UK diy 4 November 2nd 03 06:14 PM
Dimmer Switch Advice Chris Spyrou UK diy 0 October 6th 03 07:13 PM
Wiring a 3 way light switch. Mike Hibbert UK diy 8 October 3rd 03 06:51 PM
Help wiring a dimmer switch please. JohnB UK diy 6 July 30th 03 12:19 PM