copey

Default Wiring a dimmer switch....

lol yea i noticed keeps um off the streets
"Lurch" wrote in message
pick up a leaflet from homebase and ignore the rest of this lot :-))

That's why the OP is confused, because of the simplistic, non-specific
advice from Mr DIY shop. ;-)
Doesn't matter anyway, I posted the answer that solves the problem
months ago.

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.

Lurch

If everyone would have just left it as my original answer, which was
simple as the OP wanted it wouldn't matter.

Andy's post was perfectly clear (as is his wont), a small additional
amount of information that may have saved the Op (or someone else
reading the thread) a small amount of heart ache if they came across one
that was 2 way switched.

I wouldn't say his post was clear, it implies something else that I
mentioned above.

When people keep sticking
irrellevant posts in threads it just confuses someone who doesn't
know, which generally the OP wouldn't.

What then confused the matter was your reply to Andy and the ensuing
thread.

It would have been far better if he was offering additional advice to
have pointed to a page somewhere on the web showing how to do it or
explain his comments fully rather than making generally unclear
comments.

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
Andy Wade

"Dave Plowman" wrote in message ...

PoP wrote:
Ohhhhhh nnnnnooooooo.......

Who let Ruth in here?

Tee hee, but maybe it was Jan...

--
Andy

Owain

"Lurch" wrote
| Actually, what I meant was if it were a two way switch with a twin
| coming from the light fitting it wouldn't matter which way round
| the live and switch wire went into the two terminals that they were
| required to go into, (L1 and L2, or similar).

Buuuut ...

If you've got a live and a switch live at the switch, and you put one into
L1 and one into L2, the light will never come one because a two-way switch
never shorts L1-L2. Does it?

Owain

PoP

On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 21:10:47 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman
wrote:

::Groan Mode ON::

Ohhhhhh nnnnnooooooo.......

Who let Ruth in here?

I heard a whooshing sound. Something just flew over my head. What's
this reference to Ruth then?

PoP

Sending email to my published email address isn't
guaranteed to reach me.

In uk.d-i-y, PoP wrote:

I heard a whooshing sound. Something just flew over my head. What's
this reference to Ruth then?

Archers, mate. She's the fake Geordie.

Actually it's all terribly interesting right now. David's in a real state
over the bovine TB spreading through his beef *and* dairy herds, and not
only shot a badger dead recently (and was convicted, a terrible stain
on the character of our favourite parish councillor) but is now talking about
raising the drinking troughs above badger height. For light relief, he's
plotting to annoy Linda Snell by letting Joe Grundy pretend-lease 6 acres
of his land, so that Joe qualifies as running an Agricultural Enterprise
and will be able to re-erect the pole barn Linda agitated to have the
council order Joe to take down. And now Alan, the new right-on vicar, is
seriously contemplating a drug rehab centre in the parish, after his failed
attempt to help Luke who'd once stayed at Jill's on a farm holiday off the
heroin. He's got right up Matt Crawford's nose with this idea - oh, and
Matt is sh*gging Lilian, who's back from Guernsey and looking as if she
wants to settle down. Alistair's hitting the bottle and letting his vet
practice's finances go down the toilet, which Shula's just about to discover
(or maybe has, haven't listened for a couple of days).

Shall I go on? ;-)

Stefek
Lurch

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 13:13:18 -0000, "Owain"
wrote:

"Lurch" wrote
| Actually, what I meant was if it were a two way switch with a twin
| coming from the light fitting it wouldn't matter which way round
| the live and switch wire went into the two terminals that they were
| required to go into, (L1 and L2, or similar).

Buuuut ...

If you've got a live and a switch live at the switch, and you put one into
L1 and one into L2, the light will never come one because a two-way switch
never shorts L1-L2. Does it?

Quite right, it doesn't. But that's not how a two way switch works.
Draw a diagram, trace the route through the switches, then come back.
;-)

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
Owain

"Lurch" wrote
| "Owain" wrote:
| | Actually, what I meant was if it were a two way switch with a
| | twin coming from the light fitting it wouldn't matter which
| | way round the live and switch wire went into the two terminals
| | that they were required to go into, (L1 and L2, or similar).
| Buuuut ...
| If you've got a live and a switch live at the switch, and you
| put one into L1 and one into L2, the light will never come one
| because a two-way switch never shorts L1-L2. Does it?
| Quite right, it doesn't. But that's not how a two way switch works.
| Draw a diagram, trace the route through the switches, then come back.
| ;-)

But you said "two way switch with a twin coming from the light fitting" and
"a live and switch wire" (switch wire singular) so you weren't describing
2-way switching and it does matter that one of the wire has to go into the
COM if you're using a 2-way switch as a 1-way.

Owain

Lurch

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 22:42:54 -0000, "Owain"
wrote:

"Lurch" wrote
| "Owain" wrote:
| | Actually, what I meant was if it were a two way switch with a
| | twin coming from the light fitting it wouldn't matter which
| | way round the live and switch wire went into the two terminals
| | that they were required to go into, (L1 and L2, or similar).
| Buuuut ...
| If you've got a live and a switch live at the switch, and you
| put one into L1 and one into L2, the light will never come one
| because a two-way switch never shorts L1-L2. Does it?
| Quite right, it doesn't. But that's not how a two way switch works.
| Draw a diagram, trace the route through the switches, then come back.
| ;-)

But you said "two way switch with a twin coming from the light fitting" and
"a live and switch wire" (switch wire singular) so you weren't describing
2-way switching and it does matter that one of the wire has to go into the
COM if you're using a 2-way switch as a 1-way.

I think you'll find if you follow the thread the topic moved to
theories of two way switching.

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
Owain

"Lurch" wrote
| "Owain" wrote:
| I think you'll find if you follow the thread the topic moved to
| theories of two way switching.
| ..

Oh, sorry. I was still following the One True Original Thread and hadn't
realised that you were talking about the New Standard Revised International
Thread.

Owain

Switch Wiring Chris Spyrou UK diy 2 November 18th 03 09:24 PM
Confused 120v & 240v Wiring - Please Help James UK diy 4 November 2nd 03 06:14 PM
Dimmer Switch Advice Chris Spyrou UK diy 0 October 6th 03 07:13 PM
Wiring a 3 way light switch. Mike Hibbert UK diy 8 October 3rd 03 06:51 PM
Help wiring a dimmer switch please. JohnB UK diy 6 July 30th 03 12:19 PM