Matt G.

Default Redundant air vents in kitchen wall.

Hallo.

We have two roughly 6" square air vents in the kitchen wall, one near
the ground and the other a couple of feet up. There used to be an
oil-fuelled boiler in a concrete cupboard in the kitchen, but now the
only thing that needs ventilating in that room is the gas hob. Would it
be ok to brick up one of the vents, as they're quite draughty, or does
the hob really need that much fresh air?

Matt.

BigWallop

"Matt G." wrote in message
Hallo.

We have two roughly 6" square air vents in the kitchen wall, one near
the ground and the other a couple of feet up. There used to be an
oil-fuelled boiler in a concrete cupboard in the kitchen, but now the
only thing that needs ventilating in that room is the gas hob. Would it
be ok to brick up one of the vents, as they're quite draughty, or does
the hob really need that much fresh air?

Matt.

A gas appliance needs a constant source of fresh air, so needs some kind of
open vent into the room. I can't see one gas hob needing the air intake
that is supplied from two 6'' vents though, so I'd say you could brick one
up without causing any harm to health or environment.

Christian McArdle

Would it be ok to brick up one of the vents, as they're quite draughty,
or does the hob really need that much fresh air?

Expanding foam is your friend.

Christian.

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Matt G." writes:
Hallo.

We have two roughly 6" square air vents in the kitchen wall, one near
the ground and the other a couple of feet up. There used to be an
oil-fuelled boiler in a concrete cupboard in the kitchen, but now the
only thing that needs ventilating in that room is the gas hob. Would it
be ok to brick up one of the vents, as they're quite draughty, or does
the hob really need that much fresh air?

Check the hob installation instructions. It will say what the
minimum size of room is without having permanent ventilation.
If it's just a hob, I doubt there's a problem unless the
kitchen is small. If by 'hob' you meant a cooker or your 'hob'
has lots of burners or a very large burner with a flame failure
detector, then it will be a different story.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Hugo Nebula

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 20:22:33 GMT, a particular chimpanzee named "Matt
G." randomly hit the keyboard and
produced:

We have two roughly 6" square air vents in the kitchen wall, one near
the ground and the other a couple of feet up. There used to be an
oil-fuelled boiler in a concrete cupboard in the kitchen, but now the
only thing that needs ventilating in that room is the gas hob. Would it
be ok to brick up one of the vents, as they're quite draughty, or does
the hob really need that much fresh air?

Provided that the volume of the kitchen is greater than 10m³ (which
would be a very small kitchen), and that you have an opening window,
then permanent ventilation is not required (see AD 'J'
[http://tinyurl.com/292da], section 3.15). You may want to keep at
least one of these vents with a closeable grille to give you some
background ventilation without having to keep a window open.
--
Hugo Nebula
"The fact that no-one on the internet wants a piece of this