Peter Taylor

Default Pipe Bending

"BillP" wrote in message

"Peter Taylor" wrote in message

Is there any tips for when I've
pulled a bend too far?

Peter

HI Peter,

It depends on how far you've over pulled the bend. It's sometimes better to
slightly over pull than under pull. If you under pull, stick the bend back
in the machine and pull the bend further. Don't be tempted to just ease it a
little more out of the machine as it usually caves in all of a sudden and
kinks. If you've over pulled slightly however, you can ease it back to 90 by
just opening the bend by hand.

Some benders have marks on the edge of the round former. Hilti and Record
do. If you've seen these and wondered what they're for, I'll include the
explanation on the Bending.doc, but as Dave has pointed out that link seems
to have died.

The marks are used as followed. Start pulling the bend, if you stop when the
centre line of the pipe is in line with the first mark, you've pulled 30
degrees, c/l pipe with next mark 45 degrees, c/l of pipe with next mark 90
degrees.

BillP

Thanks Bill. There are no marks on my bender - it's a Rothenberger like Andy's -
but it's another good idea and maybe I'll experiment and put my own marks on it.

BTW, the link you posted is still working fine for me !!!

Cheers again
Peter

BillP

"Peter Taylor" wrote in message

Thanks Bill. There are no marks on my bender - it's a Rothenberger like

Andy's -
but it's another good idea and maybe I'll experiment and put my own marks

on it.

BTW, the link you posted is still working fine for me !!!

Cheers again
Peter

Hi Peter,

That's a good idea. Shouldn't take too much to create your own marks.

When I saw Dave's post, I tried a few times to open the link, and it failed.
I edited the document to include the info about the guide marks and uploaded
it back to the site. It then started working again. But I don't know how
long that will last.

BillP.

Andy Hall

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 20:22:46 -0000, "Peter Taylor"
wrote:

Thanks Bill. There are no marks on my bender - it's a Rothenberger like Andy's -
but it's another good idea and maybe I'll experiment and put my own marks on it.

BTW, the link you posted is still working fine for me !!!

Cheers again
Peter

While I think of it, I have generally found that occasionally
crinkling happens if I am a bit mean with the pipe when I make a bend
too near to an end. It seems better to go about 15-20cm further in
than the minimum and then cut off the spare pipe afterwards.
Generally it doesn't get wasted since offcuts are usually needed
anyway, and it's not expensive even if not for that amount.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Dave Liquorice

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 18:16:42 -0000, BillP wrote:

Yep seems to have died.

Having now had a quick read of the terms & conditions I'd complain to
Geocities as, to me, it doesn't violate their AUP. Couldn't find
anything on bandwidth or X Giga/Mega bytes/month though.

I've never posted a link before. Is that what usually happens?

Certainly for something that is likely to be popular, isn't obviously
available elsewhere and in a moderately busy newsgroup. B-)

When ever I've posted links to my weather site in uk.sci.weather the
number of hits has quite a large spike in it. The worst was when I
had a picture published by APOD (Astronomy Picture of the Day) the
hits went ballistic and took about 3 months to come back down to more
"normal" levels of about 6,000/month. A weather link generally only
doubles the monthly hit count but the period of increased hits is very
short, two or three days. The last one generated 3600+ hits on the
first day, 1000 on the second but was back to the normal of 400 or so
on the 4th day.

If people are finding it useful, can it be posted somewhere else and
linked to from the FAQ site?

Most ISPs offer freeweb space with their accounts. Does NTL offer
anything? Might need to check the AUP for any limits though. I
personnaly don't like geocities as there are so many ads and popups
all over the place.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

BillP

wrote:

While I think of it, I have generally found that occasionally
crinkling happens if I am a bit mean with the pipe when I make a bend
too near to an end. It seems better to go about 15-20cm further in
than the minimum and then cut off the spare pipe afterwards.
Generally it doesn't get wasted since offcuts are usually needed
anyway, and it's not expensive even if not for that amount.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Hi Andy,

Strangely enough, I'd never had a problem with my bender crinkling the pipe
until this week, after this thread had started. I pulled a bend , it
crinkled. I cut another length from the same tube and pulled it again. It
was fine, it's not done it since. Still waiting to here what Ed's routine
eminence is. I can only assume it's oiling the rollers and smoothing the
nicks and gouges in the formers.

I've not had problems with crinkling when pulling near the end of the pipe.
My bender seems to tolerate the hook about 20mm from the end and pulls
without crinkling, of course putting the hook any nearer to the end of the
pipe before pulling the bend, tends to oval the end making it difficult to
push into fittings, I always avoid doing that.

BillP.

Toby

Dave Liquorice wrote:
Most ISPs offer freeweb space with their accounts. Does NTL offer

anything? Might need to check the AUP for any limits though. I

I believe it is 50MB with NTL broadband but it does mean that you are
intentionally publishing your username, and as the URL and your primary
email address are derived from it, may lead to spam harvesting.

A short lived alternative is to sign up for a dialup account with whoever
and use the space that comes with that, for the cost of the call to upload
your content.

personnaly don't like geocities as there are so many ads and popups
all over the place.

AOL Me too.

--
Toby.

BillP

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
. 1...
On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 18:16:42 -0000, BillP wrote:

Most ISPs offer freeweb space with their accounts. Does NTL offer
anything? Might need to check the AUP for any limits though.

I don't know. I'll have to look into that. Don't know what I'm doing yet,
only just found out how to put the link onto geocities.

I personnaly don't like geocities as there are so many ads and popups
all over the place.

Yeah I noticed that. This link seems to pop up an ad. I'd though someone
would rip me a new arsehole because off that but I didn't know how to avoid
it :-)

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

BillP

"BillP" wrote in message

Still waiting to here what Ed's routine eminence is.

Flocking spill chucker. (s eminence/maintenance)

BillP

"Toby" wrote in message
but it does mean that you are
intentionally publishing your username, and as the URL and your primary
email address are derived from it, may lead to spam harvesting.

I thought that when I put the link up on geocities. The email address that
derives from that link is one I set up a couple of years ago incase I get
spammed to death. I tried to keep my ntl address spam free. However, some
bar steward that I've had dealings with has leaked my ntl address that now
gets 30+ spam a day, and the other one gets about 2 a month.

Dave Plowman

In article ,
BillP wrote:
My bender seems to tolerate the hook about 20mm from the end and pulls
without crinkling, of course putting the hook any nearer to the end of
the pipe before pulling the bend, tends to oval the end making it
difficult to push into fittings, I always avoid doing that.

Yup - you should always leave at least the depth of your fitting etc past
the hook.

--
*Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt.

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn

Pete C

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 22:50:43 -0000, "BillP" wrote:

Still waiting to here what Ed's routine
eminence is. I can only assume it's oiling the rollers and smoothing the
nicks and gouges in the formers.

Me too! I hope Ed's not too eminent to share it with us, it might even
help the OP.

cheers,
Pete.
IMM

"BillP" wrote in message

Strangely enough, I'd never had a problem with my bender crinkling the

pipe
until this week, after this thread had started. I pulled a bend , it
crinkled. I cut another length from the same tube and pulled it again. It
was fine, it's not done it since. Still waiting to here what Ed's routine
eminence is. I can only assume it's oiling the rollers and smoothing the
nicks and gouges in the formers.

You got it. Make sure everything is smooth and well pushed in.

---

John Stumbles

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In article ,
John Stumbles writes:

I think you'll find the former is a bit loose: if you find a bit of thin
(1mm - 2mm) metal and slip it between the former and the wheel it should
improve matters. Is your bender one of those turquoise colour ones (from
Screwfix or B&Q)? I had one and sent it back as I decided it was crap[1]
and bought a Hilmor from BES instead. I still occassionally get
wrinklies but it's the exception rather than the rule, whereas it was
the other way round with the other.

I've got a Record bender from B&Q, and in spite of heavy use,
I've never had a single wrinkly. :-}

I should hope not - I was referring to the turquoise no-name brand B&Q
and Screwfix (at least - I'm sure others also) sell.

John S

BillP wrote:

"Toby" wrote in message
but it does mean that you are
intentionally publishing your username, and as the URL and your primary
email address are derived from it, may lead to spam harvesting.

I thought that when I put the link up on geocities. The email address that
derives from that link is one I set up a couple of years ago incase I get
spammed to death. I tried to keep my ntl address spam free. However, some
bar steward that I've had dealings with has leaked my ntl address that now
gets 30+ spam a day, and the other one gets about 2 a month.

It's mail addresses that appear on web pages that get 95% or so of
junk mail with usenet visible ones a very distant second. So don't
publish your E-Mail address on the web if you can possibly avoid it.
If you do then you can avoid the bulk of the address harvesters by
encoding the address so it appears visibly correct on the page but
isn't obviously an E-Mail address in the HTML itself.

--
Chris Green
Ed Sirett

wrote:

While I think of it, I have generally found that occasionally
crinkling happens if I am a bit mean with the pipe when I make a bend
too near to an end. It seems better to go about 15-20cm further in
than the minimum and then cut off the spare pipe afterwards.
Generally it doesn't get wasted since offcuts are usually needed
anyway, and it's not expensive even if not for that amount.

No its not the materials that you save by being able to put a bend where
you want it. It the joints; in fact its not the cost of the joints which
are pence (endfeed fittings) but the time taken to make the joint.

Hi Andy,

Strangely enough, I'd never had a problem with my bender crinkling the pipe
until this week, after this thread had started. I pulled a bend , it
crinkled. I cut another length from the same tube and pulled it again. It
was fine, it's not done it since. Still waiting to here what Ed's routine
eminence is. I can only assume it's oiling the rollers and smoothing the
nicks and gouges in the formers.

Yep, wire wool the dies, wire wool the hubs, check the rollers are free,
check that the hub nut is firm but not 100% immovable. Lightly spray with
SX90 (Screwfix WD40).

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

Ed Sirett

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 23:04:57 +0000, BillP wrote:

"BillP" wrote in message

Still waiting to here what Ed's routine eminence is.

Flocking spill chucker. (s eminence/maintenance)

Shucks I rather liked the prvious rendering of maintenance.8-)

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

Phil Addison

Hello Bill,

I have only just noticed your request for placing your "Bending.doc"
file on another site. It's a useful paper and the obvious place to put
it is on the UK.D-I-Y FAQ site http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/. I have
downloaded a copy and will be more than happy to put it on the FAQ site
if you wish.

The FAQ section on Pipe Bending (under "Page 3 Other Plumbing") at the
moment is simply a search link that retrieves matching posts from this
newsgroup, and as such will include your post (and all this thread) in
the returned list.

Apologies again for the delay in responding but with the heavy traffic
here I can only read a fraction of the posts. If anyone wants to make a
request like this please copy me by email, or the chances are that I
will not know about it. Anyone else, feel free to forward me posts
relating to the FAQ, although I WILL see the originals if they have
"FAQ" or "uk.d-i-y" in the subject line.

Phil Addison
The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/
Remove NOSPAM from address to email me

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 18:16:42 -0000, "BillP" wrote:

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
. 1...
On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 19:07:47 -0000, BillP wrote:

www.geocites.com/wjp_gof/Bending.doc

"This page is not available."

I suspect that you have just used your entire months bandwidth in the
last 4hrs. The power of posting a link in a newsgroup...

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Hi Dave,

Yep seems to have died.

I've never posted a link before. Is that what usually happens?

If people are finding it useful, can it be posted somewhere else and linked
to from the FAQ site?

BillP.

Does anybody make 10cm pipe that is composed of 'cake slice' sections? Jo UK diy 1 November 3rd 03 01:43 AM
WC soil Pipe hays UK diy 17 October 30th 03 05:21 PM
Soil pipe connection Neil D. UK diy 2 September 15th 03 11:11 PM
pipe bending to make a shower 'rail' NC UK diy 19 August 16th 03 04:32 PM
Converting soil pipe access panel to allow 40mm pipe Scott UK diy 1 August 12th 03 10:14 PM