BillP

Default Pipe Bending

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 20:22:46 -0000, "Peter Taylor"
wrote:

While I think of it, I have generally found that occasionally
crinkling happens if I am a bit mean with the pipe when I make a bend
too near to an end. It seems better to go about 15-20cm further in
than the minimum and then cut off the spare pipe afterwards.
Generally it doesn't get wasted since offcuts are usually needed
anyway, and it's not expensive even if not for that amount.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Hi Andy,

Strangely enough, I'd never had a problem with my bender crinkling the pipe
until this week, after this thread had started. I pulled a bend , it
crinkled. I cut another length from the same tube and pulled it again. It
was fine, it's not done it since. Still waiting to here what Ed's routine
eminence is. I can only assume it's oiling the rollers and smoothing the
nicks and gouges in the formers.

I've not had problems with crinkling when pulling near the end of the pipe.
My bender seems to tolerate the hook about 20mm from the end and pulls
without crinkling, of course putting the hook any nearer to the end of the
pipe before pulling the bend, tends to oval the end making it difficult to
push into fittings, I always avoid doing that.

BillP.