Robert Irwin

Default Tool for digging grooves in walls

Need some kit for making a better appearance to my cabling work, I'm after
kit for digging grooves into walls so I can bury a couple of power cables
in the walls before being plastered over again. Having trawled
various DIT sites I've come across horrifically expensive 'wall chasers'.
Are these the best bits of kit for the job, and anyone know good soures of
them? Or for a shallowish groove in wall is an angle grinder okay? Also
wondering if anyone know of tools for digging holes to fit flush-mounted
sockets out easily, or is it just a case of whacking away at it with a lump
hammer and chisel?

Bob Minchin

Robert Irwin wrote:
Need some kit for making a better appearance to my cabling work, I'm after
kit for digging grooves into walls so I can bury a couple of power cables
in the walls before being plastered over again. Having trawled
various DIT sites I've come across horrifically expensive 'wall chasers'.
Are these the best bits of kit for the job, and anyone know good soures of
them? Or for a shallowish groove in wall is an angle grinder okay? Also
wondering if anyone know of tools for digging holes to fit flush-mounted
sockets out easily, or is it just a case of whacking away at it with a lump
hammer and chisel?

Angle grinder will do the job neatly and quickly BUT will make clouds of
fine dust over everything and the rest of the house.
Chain drilling with a masonry drill and follow up with a bolster will
take longer thna the angle grinder but a lot quicker and easier than
hammer and bolster alone.

Bob

--
To Reply directly to my mailbox, change myisp to ntlworld

Set Square

Robert Irwin catfishpcAThotmailDOTcom wrote:

Need some kit for making a better appearance to my cabling work, I'm
after kit for digging grooves into walls so I can bury a couple of
power cables in the walls before being plastered over again. Having
trawled
various DIT sites I've come across horrifically expensive 'wall
chasers'. Are these the best bits of kit for the job, and anyone know
good soures of them? Or for a shallowish groove in wall is an angle
grinder okay? Also wondering if anyone know of tools for digging
holes to fit flush-mounted sockets out easily, or is it just a case
of whacking away at it with a lump hammer and chisel?

Screwfix sell a variety of attachments for making channels for cables and
cutting box holes - all of which require an SDS drill with rotation stop.
The box hole cutter is expensive and apparently makes a *lot* of dust. Many
say that an SDS chisel is almost as good, with less dust.

Angle grinders also make a lot of dust. A channel cutter is probably better
and neater - and not fantastically expensive.

I've already got an SDS drill and chisel. I think that I were doing a lot of
wiring, I would invest in a channel cutter but not bother with the box hole
cutter.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Andrew Mawson

"Robert Irwin" catfishpcAThotmailDOTcom wrote in message
Need some kit for making a better appearance to my cabling work, I'm after
kit for digging grooves into walls so I can bury a couple of power cables
in the walls before being plastered over again. Having trawled
various DIT sites I've come across horrifically expensive 'wall chasers'.
Are these the best bits of kit for the job, and anyone know good soures of
them? Or for a shallowish groove in wall is an angle grinder okay? Also
wondering if anyone know of tools for digging holes to fit flush-mounted
sockets out easily, or is it just a case of whacking away at it with a

lump
hammer and chisel?

SDS channeling chisel:

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/sea/...1&cd=1&x=0&y=0

SDS socket sinker:

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/sea/...&cd=1&x=7&y=17

Happy Christmas !

Andrew Mawson

Robert Irwin

"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks chaps

Its a new house where everything is being gutted anyway, so dust isn't a big
worry. Will probably go for the SDS drill as it looks safest (!) and I can
probably use it for other jobs too.

As a matter of interest, is it worth putting some sort of trunking in the
groove before putting cable in, or can I get away with just slapping plaster
over it?

Sorry - I'm a newbie to all this (1st 'proper' house...)

Cheers and merry Chrimbo

Robert

Peter Taylor

Robert Irwin wrote

Need some kit for making a better appearance to my cabling work, I'm after
kit for digging grooves into walls so I can bury a couple of power cables
in the walls before being plastered over again. Having trawled
various DIT sites I've come across horrifically expensive 'wall chasers'.
Are these the best bits of kit for the job, and anyone know good soures of
them? Or for a shallowish groove in wall is an angle grinder okay? Also
wondering if anyone know of tools for digging holes to fit flush-mounted
sockets out easily, or is it just a case of whacking away at it with a lump
hammer and chisel?

As it's a new house maybe the walls are built of Thermalite or Celcon blocks.
If so they're so soft you can almost do it with your finger nails. I'd have a
go with a hammer & chisel first before buying expensive gear.

Peter

Gary

Robert Irwin scribbled :
As a matter of interest, is it worth putting some sort of trunking in
the
groove before putting cable in, or can I get away with just slapping
plaster
over it?

Use capping which is specifically used to cover cables.
Its just nailed over the top of the cables and comes either as metal or
plastic, plastic is much easier for cutting and fixing.
--
Gary
Please remove #NOSPAM# if replying via email

Robert Irwin

As it's a new house maybe the walls are built of Thermalite or Celcon

blocks.
If so they're so soft you can almost do it with your finger nails. I'd

have a
go with a hammer & chisel first before buying expensive gear.

Peter

Ah no - the house is new to me, not a new house. Its a 50s ex-council job
and the walls are VERY solid - mainly solid brick (don't know exact type
TBH) or stone in places.

Dave Stanton

Ah no - the house is new to me, not a new house. Its a 50s ex-council job
and the walls are VERY solid - mainly solid brick (don't know exact type
TBH) or stone in places.

Thats answered my question, I was wondering why you were rewiring a new
house !!

Dave

Michael McNeil

"Dave Stanton" wrote in message
news

Ah no - the house is new to me, not a new house. Its a 50s ex-council job
and the walls are VERY solid - mainly solid brick (don't know exact type
TBH) or stone in places.

It's unlikely to have engineering brick so you should still be able to
manage with a 3" boulster and a 16 oz hammer. I would steer clear of a
4" boulster and lump hammer if I was a newbie -and knew enough to
realise that a little and often is the best MO chasing anything.

You need to go deep enough to bury the wire and -when patching the
plaster, cover the tin protector. An house that old may have enough
cement rendering under the plaster to save you chasing into the
brickwork.

Whatever, it would be a cold day in hell before I shelled out 20 to 40
quid or more on sds tools just for the one job.

Alan

In message lgate.org,
Michael McNeil wrote

It's unlikely to have engineering brick so you should still be able to
manage with a 3" boulster and a 16 oz hammer. I would steer clear of a
4" boulster and lump hammer if I was a newbie -and knew enough to
realise that a little and often is the best MO chasing anything.

If it's going to be done by hand a chasing comb and with lump hammer
would be more suitable.

--
Alan

Set Square

Gary wrote:

Robert Irwin scribbled :
As a matter of interest, is it worth putting some sort of trunking in
the
groove before putting cable in, or can I get away with just slapping
plaster
over it?

Use capping which is specifically used to cover cables.
Its just nailed over the top of the cables and comes either as metal
or plastic, plastic is much easier for cutting and fixing.

Metal capping is much safer - because it makes it much harder to drill into
the cable by accident! Metal can be cut fairly easily with tip snips - and
held in place with galvanised felt nails prior to plastering over it. [Even
if the walls are brick, you can usually nail into the mortar courses without
too much difficulty].

Metal capping comes in various widths for different cable sizes. One of the
most popular sizes takes two 2.5mm^2 T&W cables side by side for ring main
wiring. You might find that you have to go to a proper electrical wholesaler
to get metal capping - many of the DIY sheds only seem to stock the plastic
rubbish these days.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Harry Bloomfield

On 25/12/2003 "Robert Irwin" opined:-
Need some kit for making a better appearance to my cabling work, I'm after
kit for digging grooves into walls so I can bury a couple of power cables
in the walls before being plastered over again. Having trawled
various DIT sites I've come across horrifically expensive 'wall chasers'.
Are these the best bits of kit for the job, and anyone know good soures of
them? Or for a shallowish groove in wall is an angle grinder okay? Also
wondering if anyone know of tools for digging holes to fit flush-mounted
sockets out easily, or is it just a case of whacking away at it with a lump
hammer and chisel?

A grinderette fitted with a stone cutting disk will cut a channel in
masonary, cutting a series of slots. For boxes, simply drill lots of
holes with a masonary bit/hammer drill where you need to fit the box.
Then expand with a lump hammer and chisel hitting sideways, rather than
straight at the wall.

The danger with thumping at right angles, is that you might well knock
bricks right through the wall.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (Lap)

Michael Mcneil

"Alan" wrote in message

In message lgate.org,
Michael McNeil wrote

It's unlikely to have engineering brick so you should still be able to
manage with a 3" boulster and a 16 oz hammer. I would steer clear of a
4" boulster and lump hammer if I was a newbie -and knew enough to
realise that a little and often is the best MO chasing anything.

If it's going to be done by hand a chasing comb and with lump hammer
would be more suitable.

A 4" boulster and a lump hammer is all you need. About 5 or 10 quid in
the local market. However if you have never used a lump hammer you might
find a lighter one a lot easier to use.

If it took half an hour to hack out for each point and you wanted say
three each in (how many rooms do council houses have?) that would take
you less than a day. But you would be wielding an unusual weight for
most of that day.

That was all I was trying to point out.

Steve

Rick Dipper wrote:
Wall Chaser, 22.50 a day from the hire shop.

Yes, given the cuttin speed, these things are WELL worth it - I did all
the channels in a substantial house in a day. Very clean process, all
things considered.

Steve

Andrew Mawson

"Michael Mcneil" wrote in message
news:fe7e6bcef6dee49860f62514e4dcdc7e.45219@mygate .mailgate.org...
"Alan" wrote in message

In message lgate.org,
Michael McNeil wrote

It's unlikely to have engineering brick so you should still be able to
manage with a 3" boulster and a 16 oz hammer. I would steer clear of a
4" boulster and lump hammer if I was a newbie -and knew enough to
realise that a little and often is the best MO chasing anything.

If it's going to be done by hand a chasing comb and with lump hammer
would be more suitable.

A 4" boulster and a lump hammer is all you need. About 5 or 10 quid in
the local market. However if you have never used a lump hammer you might
find a lighter one a lot easier to use.

If it took half an hour to hack out for each point and you wanted say
three each in (how many rooms do council houses have?) that would take
you less than a day. But you would be wielding an unusual weight for
most of that day.

That was all I was trying to point out.

The plastic jigs that are the outline of a wall box and let you drill
multiple chain holes are well worth the pound or two that they cost. I've
cut perhap 100 wall box holes in various houses over the years using a
bolster chisel and lump hammer, but recently got one of the jigs and find
them excellent.

Andrew Mawson

Andy Dingley

On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 21:59:52 -0000, "Robert Irwin"
catfishpcAThotmailDOTcom wrote:

Need some kit for making a better appearance to my cabling work,

SDS drill (rotary stop) and a cable channel chisel does a great job.
Lots of dust, but quick and a neat channel.

Chasing machine is slower, neat, and so long as you use vacuum, it's
clean.

Angle grinders are slow, messy and untidy.

--
Klein bottle for rent. Apply within.
ARWadsworth

"Set Square" wrote in message
Gary wrote:

Robert Irwin scribbled :
[...]

Most SDS drills will go straight through metal capping without you knowing
it is there and I believe it should be earthed to meet the regs.

--
Adam

PoP

On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 21:59:52 -0000, "Robert Irwin"
catfishpcAThotmailDOTcom wrote:

Need some kit for making a better appearance to my cabling work, I'm after
kit for digging grooves into walls so I can bury a couple of power cables
in the walls before being plastered over again. Having trawled
various DIT sites I've come across horrifically expensive 'wall chasers'.

Wall chasers appear to have come down in price in the recent past. I
was looking at them a few months back and they seemed to be priced
well over £300.

At £150 it brings it into the league of being affordable if you are
doing any serious wall chasing, but not as an everyday occurrence.
Plus it has a dust extract which could make it quite clean to use.

Alternatively you could go for the drill attachment and bit:

Under £30, but I rather expect you will get the dust to go with it.

PoP

Replying to the email address given by my news reader
will result in your own email address being instantly
added to my anti-spam database! If you really want to
contact me try changing the prefix in the given email
address to my newsgroup posting name.....

Robert Irwin

"PoP" wrote in message
news
[...]

thanks for the £150 wall chaser link - I'd somehow managed to miss that last
time I was on screwfix. I can just about justify it as the place is covered
in surface nmounted wiring and pipework - not to mention all the cat5
computer network cables I want to put in, phone lines etc etc Only downside
is that I'd kinda been considering the SDS drill with roto stop to use the
chisel on some old floor tiles. Decisions, decisions...

The drill attachment looks a bit lightweight for some of the brickwork I
need to go through - and my drill isn't that heavy duty so I reckon it would
knacker it.

Once again - thanks!

Robert

Andrew Mawson

"Robert Irwin" catfishpcAThotmailDOTcom wrote in message

"PoP" wrote in message
news
[...]

Robert,

Screwfix are doing a really cheap 5Kg blow SDS drill with roto-stop for only
£29.99 - I am very impressed with it for the price. I have two professional
Hilti sds drills but they aren't rotostop and this fills the gap. Amazingly
it carries a 3 year guarantee - £10 per annum cannot be bad !!!!

Part no is 94802

Andrew Mawson

PoP

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 23:01:06 -0000, "Robert Irwin"
catfishpcAThotmailDOTcom wrote:

thanks for the £150 wall chaser link - I'd somehow managed to miss that last
time I was on screwfix. I can just about justify it as the place is covered
in surface nmounted wiring and pipework - not to mention all the cat5
computer network cables I want to put in, phone lines etc etc Only downside
is that I'd kinda been considering the SDS drill with roto stop to use the
chisel on some old floor tiles. Decisions, decisions...

If you do buy that wall chaser would you mind reporting back here on
what your experience of using it was? I haven't seen any reports on
these forums about wall chasers and I'm looking for ideas for my
birthday pressie list

PoP

Replying to the email address given by my news reader
will result in your own email address being instantly
added to my anti-spam database! If you really want to
contact me try changing the prefix in the given email
address to my newsgroup posting name.....
Steve

Andrew Mawson wrote:

Screwfix are doing a really cheap 5Kg blow SDS drill with roto-stop for only
£29.99 - I am very impressed with it for the price. I have two professional
Hilti sds drills but they aren't rotostop and this fills the gap. Amazingly
it carries a 3 year guarantee - £10 per annum cannot be bad !!!!

Be careful with the SDS method on interior walls, especially if the
walls are lightweight block. By the time you have loaded the chisel tip
and pressed the trigger you can be a LOT deeper than you intended.

Steve

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
PoP writes:
Replying to the email address given by my news reader
will result in your own email address being instantly
added to my anti-spam database! If you really want to
contact me try changing the prefix in the given email
address to my newsgroup posting name.....

I've hired both a small one (Bosch) and a large one (don't
recall what make). Both cut really quickly and easily.
The large one was quite the most terrifying tool I've ever
used. Also, it's size meant it couldn't get as near to corners.
The larger one generated brick dust at about 10 times the
speed any domestic vacuum could suck it up. They did have
a cyclone vacuum cleaner to go with it (looked like a 4' tall
dustbin), but I didn't hire that. A Dyson could cope with the
dust from the Bosch, but you'll need to wash the filter every
few times you empty out the brick dust. Bagged cleaners won't
work with the volume of fine brick dust.

Some rental rates depend on wear on the cutting discs, so
depending what you are cutting through, you might want to
check that out.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Robert Irwin

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
PoP writes:
[...]

Cheapskated in the end and hired an angle grinder - the hire rate on the
wall chaser was £50 a day and a dust extractor big enough to cope was
another £30 a day. Apart from that I'm working in the hope that work will
buy me one when someone with a budget whinges about messy trunking for their
network cabling. The amount of dust off the angle grinder is horrific enough
anyway, especially as I gave up using the face mask since it always seemed
to cause my goggles to steam up in seconds.... I've also got one of the £30
SDS drills and a chisel set on order from screwfix which will hopefully sort
out the corners and wall sockets.

Robert

Martin Angove

In message ,
"ARWadsworth" wrote:

"Set Square" wrote in message
Gary wrote:

Robert Irwin scribbled :
[...]

And so long as you stay within the allowed "zones" or bury the cable
more than 50mm (you're not going to do that in a normal wall with a
channelling chisel) you don't need protection for the cable(s) at all.
Off the top of my head, the allowed zones are within 150mm of a corner
(wall/wall or wall/ceiling, NOT wall/floor) and vertically or
horizontally directly out of one of those zones to an accessory (switch
or socket).

Not entirely safe - assumes people won't put shelf brackets or picture
hooks up within 150mm of a corner for example - but withing regs
nevertheless.

On the subject of SDS channelling chisels, my £24 one from Screwfix just
broke (snapped off in the chuck). It's only had a couple of hours' use,
mainly in plaster but occasionally hitting a stone or a brick. Grrr...
time to get on the phone I think.

Hwyl!

M.

--
Martin Angove: http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk/
.... A pound of puppies; a college of cardinals; a bowl of weevils
John Stumbles

"Martin Angove" wrote in message

On the subject of SDS channelling chisels, my £24 one from Screwfix just
broke (snapped off in the chuck). It's only had a couple of hours' use,
mainly in plaster but occasionally hitting a stone or a brick. Grrr...
time to get on the phone I think.

Mine did that too.

--
John Stumbles
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-|-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

David Moodie

"Martin Angove" wrote in message
In message ,
"ARWadsworth" wrote:

snip
On the subject of SDS channelling chisels, my £24 one from Screwfix just
broke (snapped off in the chuck). It's only had a couple of hours' use,
mainly in plaster but occasionally hitting a stone or a brick. Grrr...
time to get on the phone I think.

Hwyl!

Just as I was about to buy one from Screwfix as well, thanks for the info.
Now that I've had a wee look around I see that I can get what appears to be
the same thing from Buck and Hickman/Farnell. Unfortunately no pic of the
"chasing gouge" at £24.91, but the 75mm spade chisel that I'm really after
comes in at a £20 (plus VAT), compared to £30 from Screwfix.

cheers

David

Tony Bryer

In article , David
Moodie wrote:
Unfortunately no pic of the "chasing gouge"
at £24.91, but the 75mm spade chisel that I'm really after
comes in at a £20 (plus VAT), compared to £30 from Screwfix.

Wheelhouse in Hounslow provided me with a set of four SDS chisels
(cutting, wedge, chasing and point) at £7.95 with 20% off marked
price in the sale. They've survived better than the Homebase SDS
drill

The Natural Philosopher

Surely there is one present on this group.

IMM!

He is a tool and he may have sufficient aptitude to dig a groove in a wall.