Set Square

Default Tool for digging grooves in walls

Robert Irwin catfishpcAThotmailDOTcom wrote:

Need some kit for making a better appearance to my cabling work, I'm
after kit for digging grooves into walls so I can bury a couple of
power cables in the walls before being plastered over again. Having
trawled
various DIT sites I've come across horrifically expensive 'wall
chasers'. Are these the best bits of kit for the job, and anyone know
good soures of them? Or for a shallowish groove in wall is an angle
grinder okay? Also wondering if anyone know of tools for digging
holes to fit flush-mounted sockets out easily, or is it just a case
of whacking away at it with a lump hammer and chisel?

Screwfix sell a variety of attachments for making channels for cables and
cutting box holes - all of which require an SDS drill with rotation stop.
The box hole cutter is expensive and apparently makes a *lot* of dust. Many
say that an SDS chisel is almost as good, with less dust.

Angle grinders also make a lot of dust. A channel cutter is probably better
and neater - and not fantastically expensive.

I've already got an SDS drill and chisel. I think that I were doing a lot of
wiring, I would invest in a channel cutter but not bother with the box hole
cutter.
--
Cheers,
Set Square