-

Default Wives and mice

Don't you just love them?
My wife has a thing about humane mouse traps, she doesn't like the idea
of hurting them so guess who was out at 01:30 hrs on Christmas day
taking a mouse for a drive.

I don't know who was dafter me or the mouse for getting caught.
--
-- Bill
Peter Crosland

Don't you just love them?
My wife has a thing about humane mouse traps, she doesn't like the idea
of hurting them so guess who was out at 01:30 hrs on Christmas day
taking a mouse for a drive.

You might, if you pick your moment very carefully, tell your wife that to do
so is a criminal offence!

Pablo

Don't you just love them?
My wife has a thing about humane mouse traps, she doesn't like the idea
of hurting them so guess who was out at 01:30 hrs on Christmas day
taking a mouse for a drive.

You might, if you pick your moment very carefully, tell your wife that to

do
so is a criminal offence!

I thought it was OK as long as you stopped for proper refreshments. i.e.
cheese and water stop.

Jim Ley

On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 10:57:45 -0000, "Pablo"
wrote:

Don't you just love them?
My wife has a thing about humane mouse traps, she doesn't like the idea
of hurting them so guess who was out at 01:30 hrs on Christmas day
taking a mouse for a drive.

You might, if you pick your moment very carefully, tell your wife that to

do
so is a criminal offence!

I thought it was OK as long as you stopped for proper refreshments. i.e.
cheese and water stop.

They need to be inspected by a MAFF vet both before and after the
journey.

Of course if they're blind, and the wife has a carving knife it's a
whole different set of regulations.

Jim.
Dave Liquorice

On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 02:04:41 +0000, - wrote:

... so guess who was out at 01:30 hrs on Christmas day taking a
mouse for a drive.

Idea for late Christmas present: Mouse Cage.

Empty trap into cage, beware frightened mice can jump quite well, make
sure trap exit is inside the cage, but not the whole trap so that you
can close the door quickly...

Deport at your leisure the next day. Put some hay or shredded paper so
the mouse can make itself a nest and feel safe under some cover. Odd
bits of food will help it survive the night as well, we bung in bits
of apple peeling, carrot or similar.

Bear in mind the releasing vermin on anothers property is an
offence... so unless you can release a couple of miles or more from
any habitation I wouldn't recomend it.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

mich

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
. 1...
On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 02:04:41 +0000, - wrote:
Bear in mind the releasing vermin on anothers property is an
offence... so unless you can release a couple of miles or more from
any habitation I wouldn't recomend it.

Even if you are further than two miles from habitation it does not preclude
the committing of the offense.
You need to find land that is not owned and that is pretty difficult in
this country.

Simon Gardner

In article ,
"Peter Crosland" wrote:

Don't you just love them?
My wife has a thing about humane mouse traps, she doesn't like the idea
of hurting them so guess who was out at 01:30 hrs on Christmas day
taking a mouse for a drive.

You might, if you pick your moment very carefully, tell your wife that to do
so is a criminal offence!

I think not. It is with some species, but not mice.

Mary Fisher

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message

Don't you just love them?
My wife has a thing about humane mouse traps, she doesn't like the idea
of hurting them so guess who was out at 01:30 hrs on Christmas day
taking a mouse for a drive.

You might, if you pick your moment very carefully, tell your wife that to

do
so is a criminal offence!

You should have told her to do it.

Mary

Mary Fisher

"mich" wrote in message

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
. 1...
On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 02:04:41 +0000, - wrote:
Bear in mind the releasing vermin on anothers property is an
offence... so unless you can release a couple of miles or more from
any habitation I wouldn't recomend it.

Even if you are further than two miles from habitation it does not

preclude
the committing of the offense.
You need to find land that is not owned and that is pretty difficult in
this country.

I understood thatr very little land is actually owned - we mostly own the
freehold, which is a different matter.

But I'm willing to be advised otherwise - with appropriate authority.

I obviously need more in my glass.

Mary

mich

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message

"mich" wrote in message

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
. 1...
On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 02:04:41 +0000, - wrote:
Bear in mind the releasing vermin on anothers property is an
offence... so unless you can release a couple of miles or more from
any habitation I wouldn't recomend it.

Even if you are further than two miles from habitation it does not

preclude
the committing of the offense.
You need to find land that is not owned and that is pretty difficult in
this country.

I understood thatr very little land is actually owned - we mostly own the
freehold, which is a different matter.

But I'm willing to be advised otherwise - with appropriate authority.

I obviously need more in my glass.

All land law is effectively by possession anyway.

However, owning a freehold is the highest form of possession you can have.

To all practical intents and purposes such possession has bee ownership
since the enclosure act of 1831.

I would not like it if someone drove out a nd let loose a load of mice on
my freehold, and should I find them doing it I would be able , using my
freehold/possession of said land ( with or without title deed registration)
bring a prosecution of same under the law. In the latter case of possession
without title I may need to establish my ownership under the current land
laws of 1881 and 2002 ( concerning possessory title) but that would not
prevent me pursuing the case in practical terms under the rodent acts.

In fact anyone can do so, as the offense is letting the vermin loose , it
does not require that the person reporting it own the land on which they are
let loose, just that said land is possession of some person and most land in
this country is - including country parks and national parks.

More than that, from an animal behaviourist point of view, I doubt the mice
will like it. Mice tend to stick to known and travelled routes within their
own territories, to move them any distance is itself inhumane since it
leaves them off their tracks and subject to all sorts of predation.
Much better to kill them quickly than catch them and make them die a slow
and stressed death by using so called "humane traps"

Simon Gardner

In article ,
"Dave Liquorice" wrote:

On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 02:04:41 +0000, - wrote:

... so guess who was out at 01:30 hrs on Christmas day taking a
mouse for a drive.

Idea for late Christmas present: Mouse Cage.

Empty trap into cage, beware frightened mice can jump quite well, make
sure trap exit is inside the cage, but not the whole trap so that you
can close the door quickly...

If you use a proper Longworth trap - as used in the field - then it's
fairly easy to transfer rodent to bag or cage.

Mary Fisher

"mich" wrote in message

All land law is effectively by possession anyway.

However, owning a freehold is the highest form of possession you can have.

To all practical intents and purposes such possession has bee ownership
since the enclosure act of 1831.

I would not like it if someone drove out a nd let loose a load of mice on
my freehold, and should I find them doing it I would be able , using my
freehold/possession of said land ( with or without title deed

registration)
bring a prosecution of same under the law. In the latter case of

possession
without title I may need to establish my ownership under the current land
laws of 1881 and 2002 ( concerning possessory title) but that would not
prevent me pursuing the case in practical terms under the rodent acts.

Cor!

Sounds as though you know something about the matter :-)

In fact anyone can do so, as the offense is letting the vermin loose , it
does not require that the person reporting it own the land on which they

are
let loose, just that said land is possession of some person

That's interesting.

More than that, from an animal behaviourist point of view, I doubt the

mice
will like it. Mice tend to stick to known and travelled routes within

their
own territories, to move them any distance is itself inhumane since it
leaves them off their tracks and subject to all sorts of predation.
Much better to kill them quickly than catch them and make them die a slow
and stressed death by using so called "humane traps"

I couldn't agree more.

Mary

Dave Liquorice

On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 20:06:20 -0000, mich wrote:

... to move them any distance is itself inhumane since it leaves
them off their tracks and subject to all sorts of predation.

I'd rather give them the (slim) chance of making a go of their new
life or feed one of the local predators. Life is hard for the wild
life up here.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Dave Liquorice

On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 13:18:46 -0000, mich wrote:

Even if you are further than two miles from habitation it does not
preclude the committing of the offense.

I didn't say it would, only that I wouldn't release within 2 miles of
any habitation. Which would mean, for most of the country, no release.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Suz

: Don't you just love them?
: My wife has a thing about humane mouse traps, she doesn't like the idea
: of hurting them so guess who was out at 01:30 hrs on Christmas day
: taking a mouse for a drive.
:
: I don't know who was dafter me or the mouse for getting caught.
: --
: -- Bill

Oh for God's sake, just chop its head off with a spade and be done with it.

Niall

On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 00:32:16 -0000, "Suz"
wrote:

: Don't you just love them?
: My wife has a thing about humane mouse traps, she doesn't like the idea
: of hurting them so guess who was out at 01:30 hrs on Christmas day
: taking a mouse for a drive.
:
: I don't know who was dafter me or the mouse for getting caught.
: --
: -- Bill

Oh for God's sake, just chop its head off with a spade and be done with it.

Our 4 legged Weapon of Mouse Destruction has just turned up here to
see what I am doing. She does not recommend trap-and-release, feeling
it a total waste of entertaining food.

--
Niall
Terry

Someone wrote;

Don't you just love them?
My wife has a thing about humane mouse traps, she doesn't like the

idea
of hurting them so guess who was out at 01:30 hrs on Christmas day
taking a mouse for a drive.

Comment: Road kill; anyone?

Then .... "Jim Ley" wrote in message

Of course if they're blind, and the wife has a carving knife it's a
whole different set of regulations.

Comment: Yes: But then you need 'three' of the little blighters. And see how
they run, in all directions! :-)

Chris Hodges

Mary Fisher wrote:
own territories, to move them any distance is itself inhumane since it
leaves them off their tracks and subject to all sorts of predation.
Much better to kill them quickly than catch them and make them die a slow
and stressed death by using so called "humane traps"

I couldn't agree more.

A colleague of mine tells the story of when his dad caught a mouse every
night in a humane trap, and released it on wasteland at the end of the
road. After a few days he got suspicious, and marked the back of one of
them with a magic marker. Sure enough they were catching the same one
each time.

--
Chris
-----

Mary Fisher

"Chris Hodges" wrote in message

A colleague of mine tells the story of when his dad caught a mouse every
night in a humane trap, and released it on wasteland at the end of the
road. After a few days he got suspicious, and marked the back of one of
them with a magic marker. Sure enough they were catching the same one
each time.

Not a bright mouse then!

Mary

--
Chris
-----

Dave Liquorice

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 21:31:38 -0000, Mary Fisher wrote:

After a few days he got suspicious, and marked the back of one of
them with a magic marker. Sure enough they were catching the same
one each time.

This happened here and why we now deport them to a wooded fell top 4
miles away. Though I think it was a nick in one of it's ears that gave
it away, I did try to mark 'em but they are quick slippery customers
with sharp teeth.

Not a bright mouse then!

Seems pretty bright to me, keeps coming back to the warmth and food
supply. I doubt the mouse comes straight in and to the trap, it'll
stop off for snacks and nibbles along the way. They make a *very* good
job of finding the tiniest crumb.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

ANt

- wrote in message ...
Don't you just love them?
My wife has a thing about humane mouse traps, she doesn't like the idea
of hurting them so guess who was out at 01:30 hrs on Christmas day
taking a mouse for a drive.

you can still have humane mouse traps that kill the little blighters can't you ?
(certainly humane compared to what I'd do to it with my power planer)

Ant.
Mary Fisher

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
. 1...
On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 21:31:38 -0000, Mary Fisher wrote:

After a few days he got suspicious, and marked the back of one of
them with a magic marker. Sure enough they were catching the same
one each time.

This happened here and why we now deport them to a wooded fell top 4
miles away. Though I think it was a nick in one of it's ears that gave
it away, I did try to mark 'em but they are quick slippery customers
with sharp teeth.

Not a bright mouse then!

Seems pretty bright to me, keeps coming back to the warmth and food
supply. I doubt the mouse comes straight in and to the trap, it'll
stop off for snacks and nibbles along the way. They make a *very* good
job of finding the tiniest crumb.

Yes - but to go back into the trap?

Perhaps it thought it was a bus ...

Mary

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Mary Fisher

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

you can still have humane mouse traps that kill the little blighters

can't you ?
(certainly humane compared to what I'd do to it with my power planer)

A liquidiser is much more fun, and you probably have less chance of
having your fingers nibbled as you can just drop the little sod in and
put the top on.

Wifey would just lurv that!

Mary

No, it'd be OK, he'd put milk in as well.....

And sugar?

And an egg and a tot of something strong ... it would be as good as Baileys
with a prettier colour.

Mary

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

The Natural Philosopher

Mary Fisher wrote:

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
. 1...

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 21:31:38 -0000, Mary Fisher wrote:

After a few days he got suspicious, and marked the back of one of
them with a magic marker. Sure enough they were catching the same
one each time.

This happened here and why we now deport them to a wooded fell top 4
miles away. Though I think it was a nick in one of it's ears that gave
it away, I did try to mark 'em but they are quick slippery customers
with sharp teeth.

Not a bright mouse then!

Seems pretty bright to me, keeps coming back to the warmth and food
supply. I doubt the mouse comes straight in and to the trap, it'll
stop off for snacks and nibbles along the way. They make a *very* good
job of finding the tiniest crumb.

Yes - but to go back into the trap?

Smart mouse. It gets a free dinner of bait, and a healthy walk back
afterwards.

Darwinian theory says you should kill the mouse.

That way its behaviour never gets replicated.

Perhaps it thought it was a bus ...

Mary

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

PoP

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 22:04:06 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

And an egg and a tot of something strong ... it would be as good as Baileys
with a prettier colour.

There's a joke around here somewhere....let's see.....what's green and
goes round at 90mph?

PoP

Replying to the email address given by my news reader
will result in your own email address being instantly
added to my anti-spam database! If you really want to
contact me try changing the prefix in the given email
address to my newsgroup posting name.....
Dave Liquorice

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 21:02:10 -0000, Mary Fisher wrote:

Yes - but to go back into the trap?

Pudding, we bait ours with Nuttella.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

-

In article , PoP
writes
wrote:

And an egg and a tot of something strong ... it would be as good as Baileys
with a prettier colour.

Strangely enough the original mouse was caught using bread soaked in
Baileys.

--
-- Bill

Mary Fisher

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
. 1...
On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 21:02:10 -0000, Mary Fisher wrote:

Yes - but to go back into the trap?

Pudding, we bait ours with Nuttella.

Ah! That's a good use for it :-)

Mary

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Lobster

wrote:

And an egg and a tot of something strong ... it would be as good as Baileys
with a prettier colour.

There's a joke around here somewhere....let's see.....what's green and
goes round at 90mph?

PoP, don't tell me you've seen
http://www.joecartoon.com/pages/frogbender/ ??
David