Mark

Default Planer/Jointer

I'm considering buying the Performance Power planer which B&Q sell for
around £120. Has anyone had any experince with this machine?

Can I use this machine to accurately thickness timber by making
multiple passes? And assuming the fence is at an accurate 90 degrees
to the planer bed, will opposite sides always be guaranteed parallel?

Thanks,
Mark.
Andy Dingley

On 20 Dec 2003 09:55:51 -0800, (Mark)
wrote:

These start at about £300 for a small portable one - e.g. Axminster
CT344.

CT330 is a much better machine than the CT344, and current prices are
barely different. The tables are longer and there's a head lock to
reduce snipe.

Thanks for replying. The CCNPT looks like it may fit the bill.

It's a very good deal for the money, however (like most combined
machines) it's narrower than a dedicated thicknesser. Most of my
boards are between 10" and 13" in width, so this is a feature I really
need.

In terms of accurate - it has to be bang on - I want to be planing 90
degree edges on my timber - not 89 or 91! Surley even the smallest
tool should be capable of this?

The tool may be capable, but you may need a taller fence to hold the
timber square enough.

1 degree accuracy is unusual in woodworking. You'll also need to use
quartersawn timber here, as shrinkage is enough to warp by a degree or
two.

Also, the CCNP spec mentions that it may need a 16amp supply if the
voltage is 'on the low side'. What do they mean by this?

They mean that taking a 10" slice off oak is damned hard work ! If
the voltage is low, then heat lost in the motor is higher for a given
output. This machine is a bargain for the price, but the tables are
bendy and the motor is on the diminutive side. If you're going to be
thrashing it, I wouldn't buy a CCNPT.

Am I correct in assuming that the machine can be run from a
single-phase domestic supply?

Yes. But run a ring main or a heavy gauge radial through your
workshop, not just a string of extension leads to the garden shed.

--
Smert' spamionam
Andrew Mawson

"Mark" wrote in message
m...
Andy Hall wrote in message

. ..
On 19 Dec 2003 16:18:36 -0800, (Mark)
wrote:

I'm considering buying the Performance Power planer which B&Q sell for
around £120. Has anyone had any experince with this machine?

Can I use this machine to accurately thickness timber by making
multiple passes? And assuming the fence is at an accurate 90 degrees
to the planer bed, will opposite sides always be guaranteed parallel?

Thanks,
Mark.

You really need a thicknesser to do that.

These start at about £300 for a small portable one - e.g. Axminster
CT344.

You can get small combined planer thicknessers starting nearer £400,
e.g. Axminster CCNPT.

However, these are really entry level hobby grade machines so tend to
be limited on capacity and possibly accuracy. It really depends on
how much work you want to do and how accurate is accurate.

Thanks for replying.
The CCNPT looks like it may fit the bill.

In terms of accurate - it has to be bang on - I want to be planing 90
degree edges on my timber - not 89 or 91! Surley even the smallest
tool should be capable of this?

Also, the CCNP spec mentions that it may need a 16amp supply if the
voltage is 'on the low side'. What do they mean by this?
Am I correct in assuming that the machine can be run from a
single-phase domestic supply?

Classic is to run such things in a shed at the bottom of the garden on the
end of a long length of cable - you'd be amazed what a voltage drop you can
get down a couple of hundred foot of 2.5 T&E !

Andrew

Mark

wrote:

[...]

I certainly won't be thrashing it, but if the tables are 'bendy' then
it's surley useless for even a single one-off use? Or do you mean that
the tables may flex under the weight of e.g. 10" oak?

Am I correct in assuming that the machine can be run from a
single-phase domestic supply?

Yes. But run a ring main or a heavy gauge radial through your
workshop, not just a string of extension leads to the garden shed.

My plan would be to simply plug it into the ring main that serves all
the sockets in my house. Will the machine be constantly tripping the
MCB when the motor starts to struggle?