Andy Dingley

Default Planer/Jointer

On 21 Dec 2003 17:53:24 -0800, (Mark)
wrote:

I certainly won't be thrashing it, but if the tables are 'bendy' then
it's surley useless for even a single one-off use? Or do you mean that
the tables may flex under the weight of e.g. 10" oak?

All tables are bendy. They're cantilevers, that's their nature. If you
mean immeasurable movement, spend a couple of grand and get a
Sedgewick.

My 6" jointer is cast iron. The tables on that will sage if you sit on
them, and the fence certainly wobbles. You just have to get used to
using it in a way that doesn't place a heavy side load on the fence.
Obviously this needs a little more care than just slamming the boards
through, so it's not the sort of machine you'd buy as a jungle gym for
your workshop rock-ape.

What's your budget here ? The CCNPT is a bargain for its price, but
if I were buying a combination, for the amount of work I'm going to
give it, I just wouldn't expect to pay less than a grand.

My plan would be to simply plug it into the ring main that serves all
the sockets in my house.

Should be fine. Just avoid voltage drop problems (caused by long thin
radials or extension leads).
--
Klein bottle for rent. Apply within.