Andy Dingley

Default Planer/Jointer

On 19 Dec 2003 16:18:36 -0800, (Mark)
wrote:

I'm considering buying the Performance Power planer which B&Q sell for
around £120. Has anyone had any experince with this machine?

Little benchtop 6" wide surface planer / jointer ? Axminster sell a
similar thing.

Can I use this machine to accurately thickness timber by making
multiple passes?

Not a hope - you'll end up making wedges.

And assuming the fence is at an accurate 90 degrees
to the planer bed,

Bad assumption. On these little jointers, it's also a problem to hold
the timber flat against their tiny fence.

will opposite sides always be guaranteed parallel?

No. Even if they were, it still wouldn't work - you'd just get
lengthwise wedges instead of crossways wedges.

If you're looking to save money by buying rough timber, then buying a
_thicknesser_ is a good idea, but you won't do it with a jointer.

--
Smert' spamionam