geoff

Default Planer/Jointer

In message , Mark
writes
Andy Hall wrote in message
On 19 Dec 2003 16:18:36 -0800, (Mark)
wrote:

I'm considering buying the Performance Power planer which B&Q sell for
around £120. Has anyone had any experince with this machine?

Can I use this machine to accurately thickness timber by making
multiple passes? And assuming the fence is at an accurate 90 degrees
to the planer bed, will opposite sides always be guaranteed parallel?

Thanks,
Mark.

You really need a thicknesser to do that.

These start at about £300 for a small portable one - e.g. Axminster
CT344.

You can get small combined planer thicknessers starting nearer £400,
e.g. Axminster CCNPT.

However, these are really entry level hobby grade machines so tend to
be limited on capacity and possibly accuracy. It really depends on
how much work you want to do and how accurate is accurate.

Thanks for replying.
The CCNPT looks like it may fit the bill.

In terms of accurate - it has to be bang on - I want to be planing 90
degree edges on my timber - not 89 or 91! Surley even the smallest
tool should be capable of this?

Surely, this depends on your ability to set it up correctly

Also, the CCNP spec mentions that it may need a 16amp supply if the
voltage is 'on the low side'. What do they mean by this?
Am I correct in assuming that the machine can be run from a
single-phase domestic supply?

--
geoff