Grunff

Default Untimely airconditioning thread

After the many discussions we had over the summer about aircon,
I decided to go ahead and install one, in readiness for next summer.

The room is a very modest home office, 3.5x4.5m, with lots of
PCs and two people in it most of the time.

I went for a split unit for obvious reasons and I wanted about
2.5-3kW. After talking to a supplier, they managed to convince
me that I ought to go for a cheaper generic Chinese unit rather
than the Fujitsu which I initially wanted.

Given that the Fujitsu was about £950, and the unit they
recommended was only £550 all in, and that it would only be used
for say 2 months of the year, I decided to go for the cheaper
one. I may end up regretting that, I may not - I don't know.

The unit included all the hoses, multicore cable and brackets
for a complete self install. The install was a piece of cake -
the hardest part was the 3" hole through the 2' wall.

Once you've installed it, you bleed off a small amount of
refrigerant through the system, which flushes out the air.
That's it - no vac pump needed.

It's now running fine (there was a minor problem with the main
indoor unit fan rubbing on the case, but a small modification
fixed that).

I will post if it breaks or anything bad happens.

--
Grunff

Paul Boakes

Grunff wrote:

After the many discussions we had over the summer about aircon, I
decided to go ahead and install one, in readiness for next summer.

The room is a very modest home office, 3.5x4.5m, with lots of PCs and
two people in it most of the time.

I went for a split unit for obvious reasons and I wanted about 2.5-3kW.
After talking to a supplier, they managed to convince me that I ought to
go for a cheaper generic Chinese unit rather than the Fujitsu which I
initially wanted.

Given that the Fujitsu was about £950, and the unit they recommended was
only £550 all in, and that it would only be used for say 2 months of the
year, I decided to go for the cheaper one. I may end up regretting that,
I may not - I don't know.

snip

How noisy is the unit? Would you be able to sleep with it on? I'm
looking at a similar project for a loft conversion, so the noise factor
is important, as the room will be a bedroom.

Also, what are the power requirements? Did you need a seperate feed
from your consumer unit, or is it a relatively low consumption?

Finally, the outside unit: I'd be looking to place this reasonably high
up on the wall, out of the way: how big and how heavy (ie: easy for one
man on a ladder, or bloomin' difficult will do!) is that part?

So many questions - sorry!

Regards
Paul

PS: Mind if I ask where you bought from?

Grunff

IMM wrote:

What make?

It's called Millenniumair.
http://www.uk-airconditioning.co.uk/millennium.htm

--
Grunff

Grunff

Paul Boakes wrote:

How noisy is the unit? Would you be able to sleep with it on? I'm
looking at a similar project for a loft conversion, so the noise factor
is important, as the room will be a bedroom.

We sleep with a fan on in the summer anyway - so that may
prejudice my feelings.

The fan has different speed settings. On medium, it's about the
same noise level as our old 3 speed fan on full. So yes,
sleeping with it on would be fine.

Also, what are the power requirements? Did you need a seperate feed
from your consumer unit, or is it a relatively low consumption?

It's 3kW, so just plugs into the mains.

Finally, the outside unit: I'd be looking to place this reasonably high
up on the wall, out of the way: how big and how heavy (ie: easy for one
man on a ladder, or bloomin' difficult will do!) is that part?

It's large (~3'x2'x1'), and weighs about 30kg (~60lb). I
wouldn't want to carry it up a ladder on my own.

I mounted it at head height on the outside of the house. That
was easy.

So many questions - sorry!

No problem, that's why I posted.

PS: Mind if I ask where you bought from?

http://www.uk-airconditioning.co.uk/millennium.htm

--
Grunff

Dave Liquorice

On Sun, 7 Dec 2003 13:07:40 +0000 (UTC), Paul Boakes wrote:

How noisy is the unit? Would you be able to sleep with it on? I'm
looking at a similar project for a loft conversion, so the noise
factor is important, as the room will be a bedroom.

Ceiling fans on slow speed are near enough totaly silent and make
rooms very comfortable it doesn't take much air movement for this.
Though I appreciate that getting a 4' dia ceiling fan into a loft
conversion might be a bit problematical...

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Grunff

Huge wrote:

A Haier? We have one of those. It's been totally reliable for 4 years. And
it got run more-or-less continuously for most of this summer past.

A Millenniumair
http://www.uk-airconditioning.co.uk/millennium.htm

--
Grunff

IMM

"Paul Boakes" wrote in message
Grunff wrote:

[...]

Simple, heavy insulation and a fan ventilating the place (over the computer
equipment is probably best) is what you need. While converting the loft
install the extra insulation and ventilation which will be probably a lot
less than £550.

---

Grunff

IMM wrote:

Simple, heavy insulation and a fan ventilating the place (over the computer
equipment is probably best) is what you need. While converting the loft
install the extra insulation and ventilation which will be probably a lot
less than £550.

You're missing the point - when it's hot, moving air is all well
and good, but high humidity means your sweat doesn't evaporate
very easily. Aircon will bring the humidity in the room down to
a nice low level, making it much more comfortable.

I've worked in both air conditioned and fan cooled environments,
and aircon wins hands down.

--
Grunff

IMM

"Grunff" wrote in message
IMM wrote:

Simple, heavy insulation and a fan ventilating the place (over the

computer
equipment is probably best) is what you need. While converting the loft
install the extra insulation and ventilation which will be probably a

lot
less than £550.

You're missing the point - when it's hot, moving air is all well
and good, but high humidity means your sweat doesn't evaporate
very easily. Aircon will bring the humidity in the room down to
a nice low level, making it much more comfortable.

I've worked in both air conditioned and fan cooled environments,
and aircon wins hands down.

A properly design fan cooled office beats air con any day. It requires
heavy insulation and correct design of ducting and fans.

---

tony sayer

In article , IMM
writes

"Grunff" wrote in message
IMM wrote:

Simple, heavy insulation and a fan ventilating the place (over the

computer
equipment is probably best) is what you need. While converting the loft
install the extra insulation and ventilation which will be probably a

lot
less than £550.

You're missing the point - when it's hot, moving air is all well
and good, but high humidity means your sweat doesn't evaporate
very easily. Aircon will bring the humidity in the room down to
a nice low level, making it much more comfortable.

I've worked in both air conditioned and fan cooled environments,
and aircon wins hands down.

In yer dreams M8!...

A properly design fan cooled office beats air con any day. It requires
heavy insulation and correct design of ducting and fans.

---

Tony Sayer

Grunff

Huge wrote:

Occasionally, I check the articles of yours that my newsreader kills to make
sure you're still posting moronic drivel.

I refuse to killfile him - far too entertaining.

--
Grunff

Paul Boakes

http://www.uk-airconditioning.co.uk/millennium.htm

Ta. I'm looking at the page now.

Right - that's something else to go on the Christmas list.

Grunff

Huge wrote:

Life's too short, though.

I know what you mean - I colour code all his posts, a lovely
orange, so I can read them when I have some time to waste...

--
Grunff

Simon Gardner

In article ,
"Dave Liquorice" wrote:

Ceiling fans on slow speed are near enough totaly silent and make
rooms very comfortable

No they don't. They don't cool and are totally inadequate for most of the
summer. Have you considered planting geraniums outside? These will produce
a 15 degree drop in inside temperature - or so it is claimed. Apparently
theu also drop humidity by 40 per cent.

Grunff

Simon Gardner wrote:

No they don't. They don't cool and are totally inadequate for most of the
summer. Have you considered planting geraniums outside? These will produce
a 15 degree drop in inside temperature - or so it is claimed. Apparently
theu also drop humidity by 40 per cent.

Really? 15 degrees? I wish someone had told me that before I
spent all that money on the aircon...

--
Grunff

Simon Gardner

In article ,
Grunff wrote:

Simon Gardner wrote:

No they don't. They don't cool and are totally inadequate for most of the
summer. Have you considered planting geraniums outside? These will produce
a 15 degree drop in inside temperature - or so it is claimed. Apparently
theu also drop humidity by 40 per cent.

Really? 15 degrees? I wish someone had told me that before I
spent all that money on the aircon...

Yeah. You and me both. I've got 6KW of it cooling my ground floor for 4-6
months a year. The geranium trick is a real ****er, eh?

geoff

In message , Grunff
writes
Simon Gardner wrote:

No they don't. They don't cool and are totally inadequate for most of the
summer. Have you considered planting geraniums outside? These will produce
a 15 degree drop in inside temperature - or so it is claimed. Apparently
theu also drop humidity by 40 per cent.

Really? 15 degrees? I wish someone had told me that before I spent all
that money on the aircon...

Yes, but the number of geraniums required would probably cost more than
the air conditioning
--
geoff
IMM

"Simon Gardner" [dot]co[dot]uk wrote in message
In article ,
Grunff wrote:

Simon Gardner wrote:

No they don't. They don't cool and are totally inadequate for most of

the
summer. Have you considered planting geraniums outside? These will

produce
a 15 degree drop in inside temperature - or so it is claimed.

Apparently
theu also drop humidity by 40 per cent.

Really? 15 degrees? I wish someone had told me that before I
spent all that money on the aircon...

Yeah. You and me both. I've got 6KW of it cooling my ground floor for 4-6
months a year. The geranium trick is a real ****er, eh?

That is because you just don't know.

---

IMM

"Grunff" wrote in message
Huge wrote:

Occasionally, I check the articles of yours that my newsreader kills to

make
sure you're still posting moronic drivel.

I have had this moron killfiled for eons. He should not read the wisdom I
write. He is not fit to receive it.

---

IMM

"Grunff" wrote in message
Huge wrote:

Life's too short, though.

I know what you mean - I colour code all his posts, a lovely
orange, so I can read them when I have some time to waste...

Very wise. You will be very much educated by doing so.

---

geoff

In message , IMM
writes

"Grunff" wrote in message
Huge wrote:

Occasionally, I check the articles of yours that my newsreader kills to

make
sure you're still posting moronic drivel.

I have had this moron killfiled for eons. He should not read the wisdom I
write. He is not fit to receive it.

Can't you just killfile the whole of Uk-diy ?

Please
--
geoff
IMM

"geoff" wrote in message
news
In message , IMM
writes

"Grunff" wrote in message
Huge wrote:

Occasionally, I check the articles of yours that my newsreader kills

make
sure you're still posting moronic drivel.

I have had this moron killfiled for eons. He should not read the wisdom

write. He is not fit to receive it.

Can't you just killfile the whole of Uk-diy ?

Maxie, now stop all this tomfoolery. How can you deprive the masses of my
wisdom?

---

geoff

In message , IMM
writes

"geoff" wrote in message
news
In message , IMM
writes

"Grunff" wrote in message
Huge wrote:

Occasionally, I check the articles of yours that my newsreader kills

make
sure you're still posting moronic drivel.

I have had this moron killfiled for eons. He should not read the wisdom

write. He is not fit to receive it.

Can't you just killfile the whole of Uk-diy ?

Maxie, now stop all this tomfoolery. How can you deprive the masses of my
wisdom?

I was rather hoping you might do it yourself

--
geoff

Jerry.

"IMM" wrote in message

"Grunff" wrote in message
Huge wrote:

Life's too short, though.

I know what you mean - I colour code all his posts, a lovely
orange, so I can read them when I have some time to waste...

Very wise. You will be very much educated by doing so.

Not by the village idiot though...

PJO

I installed a DeLongi system in my home office a couple of years ago. Nice
remote controlled indoor unit with all the moving bits, flashing lights,
etc. Not too big. approx 1m wide, 400mm high.

Outdoor unit not bad looking.

Indoor unit came with umbilical containing hoses and supply cable for
connection to outdoor unit. Simple installation. 13A plug on the indoor unit
(I plugged mine into socket in loft space) and the three connections of the
umbilical.

Works a treat.

My only crib is that the umbilical is not long enough but then if it was
twice as long it still wouldn't be long enough!

I hired in a hydraulic boom an operator for an hour to lift the outdoor unit
up onto it's brackets (pre-fitted to wall) as it's at loft height and is
bloody heavy. Ladders not a sensible option.

Total cost... £400 for the aircon (ex demo - usually 900) plus £80 for the
boom.

Opinion: Brilliant.

Dave Liquorice

On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 22:46:25 +0000, Simon Gardner wrote:

Ceiling fans on slow speed are near enough totaly silent and make
rooms very comfortable

No they don't.

Well they do in Thailand and Malaysia, BTDTGTTS... Cheap accomodation
doesn't run to aircon, it was unbearable inside your without the
ceiling fan on.

They don't cool and are totally inadequate for most of the
summer.

Whilst they don't cool the air they make it move, this movement keeps
you cool naturally. There is a big difference between a slow 4'
ceiling fan and an ordinary stand or table fan. The ceiling fan sets
up a gentle (or not so gentle on high...) whole room circulation, the
table fan just blows a little bit of air about.

Even this years summer was not as hot as the above places and the
humidity was nothing like it either.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

mike.james

"Grunff" wrote in message
After the many discussions we had over the summer about aircon,
I decided to go ahead and install one, in readiness for next summer.

Does it heat as well?
If so have you tried it?
mikej

The Natural Philosopher

IMM wrote:

Maxie, now stop all this tomfoolery. How can you deprive the masses of my
'wisdom?'

A very good question. We have been pondering it for some time, on
grounds of public health and safety.

Grunff

mike.james wrote:

Does it heat as well?
If so have you tried it?

Good question. I specified a non-heat pump model when I ordered
it, but the remote control has several heat functions. But I
haven't tried it.

But given that we have CH, I don't think I'll be using it to heat.

--
Grunff

John Rumm

Grunff wrote:

It's called Millenniumair.
http://www.uk-airconditioning.co.uk/millennium.htm

Have you tried it in heat pump mode yet? If so what is it like? What
outside temerature does it give up at?

--
Cheers,

John.

Grunff

John Rumm wrote:

Have you tried it in heat pump mode yet? If so what is it like? What
outside temerature does it give up at?

No, I haven't - in fact when I ordered it I thought I was
getting a non-heat pump model.

TBH it's pretty irrelevant since the room has a great big
radiator in it!

--
Grunff

IMM

IMM wrote:

Maxie, now stop all this tomfoolery. How can you deprive the masses of

my
'wisdom?'

A very good question. We have been pondering it for some time, on
grounds of public health and safety.

Dear snotty uni person,

I recommend lots of bedrest then visit the clinic.

---

IMM

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
. 1...
[...]

Some of them here haven't been around.

---

IMM

"Jerry." wrote in message

"IMM" wrote in message

"Grunff" wrote in message
Huge wrote:

Life's too short, though.

I know what you mean - I colour code all his posts, a lovely
orange, so I can read them when I have some time to waste...

Very wise. You will be very much educated by doing so.

Not by the village idiot though...

Are you still inhaling nicotine on mass scale?

---

mike.james

"Grunff" wrote in message
John Rumm wrote:

Have you tried it in heat pump mode yet? If so what is it like? What
outside temerature does it give up at?

No, I haven't - in fact when I ordered it I thought I was
getting a non-heat pump model.

TBH it's pretty irrelevant since the room has a great big
radiator in it!

--
Grunff

Any chance we could persuade you to try it?
The application I have in mind would benifit as much from heat in winter as
cooling in
summer.
I've tried to find some additional technical info on the heat pump mode but
failed.
mikej

Grunff

mike.james wrote:

Any chance we could persuade you to try it?
The application I have in mind would benifit as much from heat in winter as
cooling in
summer.
I've tried to find some additional technical info on the heat pump mode but
failed.

No problem - just tried it.

Took a long time for the outside unit to reach temperature, but
once that happened the fan kicked in and it started blowing hot
air. Difficult to estimate the output, but I'd say at least a
kW, probably more.

--
Grunff

Simon Gardner

In article ,
"Dave Liquorice" wrote:

On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 22:46:25 +0000, Simon Gardner wrote:

Ceiling fans on slow speed are near enough totaly silent and make
rooms very comfortable

No they don't.

Well they do in Thailand and Malaysia

I'm sure they don't there either.

, BTDTGTTS... Cheap accomodation
doesn't run to aircon, it was unbearable inside your without the
ceiling fan on.

It's unbearable inside without the aircon on.

They don't cool and are totally inadequate for most of the
summer.

Whilst they don't cool the air they make it move,

That's right. No bloody use at all.

this movement keeps
you cool naturally.

It keeps you very slightly less hot. It certainly deson't keep you cool.
For that you need aircon.

There is a big difference between a slow 4'
ceiling fan and an ordinary stand or table fan. The ceiling fan sets
up a gentle (or not so gentle on high...) whole room circulation, the
table fan just blows a little bit of air about.

Even this years summer was not as hot as the above places and the
humidity was nothing like it either.

And yet still far too unpleasant for a ceiling fan to be any use at all.

mike.james

"Grunff" wrote in message
mike.james wrote:

Any chance we could persuade you to try it?
The application I have in mind would benifit as much from heat in winter

as
cooling in
summer.
I've tried to find some additional technical info on the heat pump mode

but
failed.

No problem - just tried it.

Took a long time for the outside unit to reach temperature, but
once that happened the fan kicked in and it started blowing hot
air. Difficult to estimate the output, but I'd say at least a
kW, probably more.

--
Grunff

And that's presumably at our current outside temperature i.e. about 3 or 4C.
mikej

LH thread lamps Ian UK diy 10 October 6th 03 09:27 PM
Sash Windows... further to an earlier thread! Fishter UK diy 3 September 25th 03 08:35 AM
Identify a bolt thread Essjay001 UK diy 13 August 7th 03 11:04 AM
Yet another cheap SDS dril thread... Colin Swan UK diy 13 August 1st 03 12:01 AM
Off Thread replies... THE TRUTH! Jet UK diy 2 July 27th 03 12:10 AM