Essjay001

Default Identify a bolt thread

Nigel Mercier ® wrote:
Can anyone help me identify a bolt thread?

On my imperial steam driven micrometer, the diameter measures 0.392"
(so it's 10mm) and the pitch is 1mm. So muggings here assumes it's a
standard 10mm bolt thread, but having bought one it is much coarser.

What is it, and where can I get a bolt with this thread?

2 BA ish

"Nigel Mercier ®" wrote in message
Can anyone help me identify a bolt thread?

On my imperial steam driven micrometer, the diameter measures 0.392" (so
it's 10mm) and the pitch is 1mm. So muggings here assumes it's a
standard 10mm bolt thread, but having bought one it is much coarser.

What is it, and where can I get a bolt with this thread?

It is M10 x 1.0mm - a non-preferred BS size. You can get the bolts from most
good industrial fastener suppliers, but you are likely to run into minimum
order quantities or charges if you only want one.

Colin Bignell

Andy Dingley

On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 13:03:23 +0100, Nigel Mercier ®
wrote:

On my imperial steam driven micrometer, the diameter measures 0.392" (so
it's 10mm) and the pitch is 1mm. So muggings here assumes it's a
standard 10mm bolt thread, but having bought one it is much coarser.

10mm fine. Most of the larger metrics are fairly common in both a
standard and a fine pitch. 1.25 is the usual alternative to the 1.5
coarse pitch, but 1.0 is a standard too.

If the diameter really is 10mm, then it's probably metric - there's no
obvious imperial size close to that.

Is the bolt head marked ?

Rick Hughes

"Nigel Mercier ®" wrote in message
Can anyone help me identify a bolt thread?

On my imperial steam driven micrometer, the diameter measures 0.392" (so
it's 10mm) and the pitch is 1mm. So muggings here assumes it's a
standard 10mm bolt thread, but having bought one it is much coarser.

What is it, and where can I get a bolt with this thread?

There is Metric Coarse and Metric fine

You need to give the tpi and the root diameter to identify it correctly.

Rick

Frisket

"Nigel Mercier ®" wrote in message

You need to give the tpi and the root diameter to identify it correctly.

I thought I had given this info, but in metric.
--
Nigel Mercier

Hi Nigel, if you go to a local factors and talk nicely to the storeman he
may just oblige and find a nut that'll run down the thread thus identifying
it and providing a new bolt at the same time. Richard.

Steven Pilbeam

"Nigel Mercier ®" wrote in message
Can anyone help me identify a bolt thread?

On my imperial steam driven micrometer, the diameter measures 0.392" (so
it's 10mm) and the pitch is 1mm. So muggings here assumes it's a
standard 10mm bolt thread, but having bought one it is much coarser.

What is it, and where can I get a bolt with this thread?

--
Nigel Mercier

Please remove NOSPAM from my return address

Try http://www.namrick.co.uk

Essjay001

nightjar wrote:
"Essjay001" wrote in message
Nigel Mercier ® wrote:
Can anyone help me identify a bolt thread?

On my imperial steam driven micrometer, the diameter measures 0.392"
(so it's 10mm) and the pitch is 1mm. So muggings here assumes it's a
standard 10mm bolt thread, but having bought one it is much coarser.

What is it, and where can I get a bolt with this thread?

2 BA ish

2BA is about 4.7mm diameter and BA pitches are 0.9mm ^ BA number, so
its pitch is 0.81mm.

Thanks, it was just an off the top of my head suggestion.

Essjay001

Phil Addison wrote:
On Fri, 1 Aug 2003 18:20:44 +0100, "Frisket"
wrote:

"Nigel Mercier ®" wrote in
message ...

You need to give the tpi and the root diameter to identify it
correctly.

I thought I had given this info, but in metric.
--
Nigel Mercier

Hi Nigel, if you go to a local factors and talk nicely to the
storeman he may just oblige and find a nut that'll run down the
thread thus identifying it and providing a new bolt at the same
time. Richard.

Or you read the back posts and look it up inthe reference tables given
less than a month ago.

Oh FFS

Andy Wade

"John Schmitt" wrote in message ...

The ISO series of threads goes up to 1.25 mm pitch at 10mm, after
it omits 9mm.

No such omission. M9 exists, and so does M7. I've got taps & dies to prove
it :-). They're not commonly used sizes (any more than 7 & 9 BA are) but
they certainly exist.

--
Andy

harrogate

"Andy Wade" wrote in message
"John Schmitt" wrote in message ...

The ISO series of threads goes up to 1.25 mm pitch at 10mm, after
it omits 9mm.

No such omission. M9 exists, and so does M7. I've got taps & dies to

prove
it :-). They're not commonly used sizes (any more than 7 & 9 BA are) but
they certainly exist.

--
Andy

OT

Reminds me of the forger that mistakenly made £9 notes. He puzzled for a
while and then decided to take them to somewhere in deepest Ireland and see
if he could get them changed (pre Euro joke!)

When he got there and handed them to the cashier asking for them to be
changed the question came back

"No problem sir. Would you like them in 7's and 2's or 6's and 3's?"

--
Woody

Andy Wade

harrogate wrote in message
news
"No problem sir. Would you like them in 7's and 2's or 6's and 3's?"

The oldest ones are still the best, eh?
--
Andy

John Schmitt

In article ,
"Andy Wade" writes:

The ISO series of threads goes up to 1.25 mm pitch at 10mm, after
it omits 9mm.

No such omission. M9 exists, and so does M7. I've got taps & dies to prove
it :-). They're not commonly used sizes (any more than 7 & 9 BA are) but
they certainly exist.

Duh. My memory is at fault. I knew it was ISO or DIN which
skipped 9mm and indeed quite a lot of integer sizes above that
and thought it was ISO. Can I claim that the hot weather caused
me to mistype DIN in an egregious manner?

John Schmitt

--
If you have nothing to say, or rather, something extremely stupid
and obvious, say it, but in a 'plonking' tone of voice - i.e.

Andy Wade

John Schmitt wrote in message

Duh. My memory is at fault. I knew it was ISO or DIN which
skipped 9mm and indeed quite a lot of integer sizes above that
and thought it was ISO. Can I claim that the hot weather caused
me to mistype DIN in an egregious manner?

You can claim whatever you like. Whether you are believed is a matter for
the jury...

However, IMHO, the value of having a knowledgeable resident group chemist
far outweighs such minor transgressions, so yes you can be let off (just
this once, mind).

--
Andy