Ian

Default LH thread lamps

I have purchased some recessed light fittings for my bathroom, it states on
the boxes that they require left hand thread ESS lamps.

I have never seen these are they Australian.

Lee Blaver

Ian wrote:

I have purchased some recessed light fittings for my bathroom, it states on
the boxes that they require left hand thread ESS lamps.

I have never seen these are they Australian.

I'm obviously missing a joke here, but I do know that left hand thread
lamps are available.
Any clue why though?

Lee

--
To reply use lee.blaver and NTL world com

Christian McArdle

I'm obviously missing a joke here, but I do know that left hand thread
lamps are available.
Any clue why though?

Presumably in the hope that they are so unobtainable, you'll buy the
replacement bulbs from the light fitting manufacturer's scandalously
overpriced spares department.

Christian.

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Lee Blaver writes:
Ian wrote:

I have purchased some recessed light fittings for my bathroom, it states on
the boxes that they require left hand thread ESS lamps.

I have never seen these are they Australian.

I'm obviously missing a joke here, but I do know that left hand thread
lamps are available.
Any clue why though?

They used to be used in public places, so there was no point
stealing the lamps to use at home. I heard the NY subway still
uses them, but I would have thought they were pretty obsolete
now. Don't recall seeing them in any lighting catalogues for
perhaps 25 years now.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Dave Plowman

In article ,
Lee Blaver wrote:
I have purchased some recessed light fittings for my bathroom, it states on
the boxes that they require left hand thread ESS lamps.

I have never seen these are they Australian.

I'm obviously missing a joke here, but I do know that left hand thread
lamps are available.
Any clue why though?

Perhaps it's to do with the way water swirls down the plugole down under?

Or for those who always try and unscrew something the wrong way?

--
*Xerox and Wurlitzer will merge to market reproductive organs.

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn

Christian McArdle

Perhaps it's to do with the way water swirls down the plugole down under?

Do the Japanese still use left hand threads a lot?

Christian.

froggers

Theft reduction I think - the bulbs on the old underground train were some
weird voltage for that reason as well - something like 80 volts
I seem to remember........

Nick

Andrew Vevers

"froggers" wrote in message
Theft reduction I think - the bulbs on the old underground train were some
weird voltage for that reason as well - something like 80 volts
I seem to remember........

Nick

Similarly when I worked on the Christmas post as a student I discovered that
GPO bikes are made of non standard parts to discourage theft.

Andrew

---

Christian McArdle

Theft reduction I think - the bulbs on the old underground train were some
weird voltage for that reason as well - something like 80 volts

I seem to recall that 80V is near to the optimum voltage for an incandescent
bulb. It is something about the thickness of the filament being just right
for the most efficient operation.

Christian.

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Christian McArdle" writes:
Theft reduction I think - the bulbs on the old underground train were some
weird voltage for that reason as well - something like 80 volts

I seem to recall that 80V is near to the optimum voltage for an incandescent
bulb. It is something about the thickness of the filament being just right
for the most efficient operation.

55V is normally held to be the optimum for 100W lamp.
However, it doesn't drop away quickly as you move away
from 55V. There have been 84V lamps made which are
designed to run on half-wave rectified 120V US mains,
with the aim of getting higher efficiency than 120V
lamps. Unfortunately, designing lamps to run off 240V
is about as bad as it gets in this respect (on the
basis that no one uses even higher voltage filament
lamps).

--
Andrew Gabriel

N. Thornton

"Ian" wrote in message ...
I have purchased some recessed light fittings for my bathroom, it states on
the boxes that they require left hand thread ESS lamps.

Lol, smart move mate. Something tells me you'll be replacing the bulbholders.

Regards, NT

Sash Windows... further to an earlier thread! Fishter UK diy 3 September 25th 03 08:35 AM
Air conditioning thread Grunff UK diy 68 August 8th 03 08:21 PM
Identify a bolt thread Essjay001 UK diy 13 August 7th 03 11:04 AM
Off Thread replies... THE TRUTH! Jet UK diy 2 July 27th 03 12:10 AM