Fishter

Default Sash Windows... further to an earlier thread!

I've finally got round to looking at one of my broken sash windows.

Basically I've had to spend a good 2hrs chipping the ancient gloss paint
off all the working parts, just so I can see which bits do what. Anyway,
following that I've managed to remove the beading from one side of the
window, unfortunately in three pieces. I've also got half of the central
(?) bead off, also broken. This allowed me to open the hatch and extract
the two sash weights, both with broken cords. Now just popping out to get
some sash cord and some other bits 'n' pieces.

Hopefully SWMBO won't mind the mountain of gloss paint chippings all over
the place ;-))

--
Fishter
unhook to mail me | http://www.fishter.org.uk/
Nick Nelson

Fishter wrote:
I've also got half of the central
(?) bead off, also broken. This allowed me to open the hatch and extract
the two sash weights, both with broken cords. Now just popping out to get
some sash cord and some other bits 'n' pieces.

It may have been mentioned before, but just in case it wasn't, it's
much easier to fix the weights to the cords, pull them up into the
box and then tack the cords to the window frames, than to try and
do this in the opposite order.

Hopefully SWMBO won't mind the mountain of gloss paint chippings all over
the place ;-))

Hopefully, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Nick
Squid

We got some "professionals" in to sort out the sash windows at work - £95
per window apparently.

Beading was off in about 10 seconds - smashed to bits, paint chippings all
over the place. They fitted new cords nailed in new beading and that was
that.

Took about 15 minutes per window.

Nice little earner!

"Hywel Jenkins" wrote in message
t...
In article ,
says...
I've finally got round to looking at one of my broken sash windows.

Basically I've had to spend a good 2hrs chipping the ancient gloss paint
off all the working parts, just so I can see which bits do what.

Anyway,
following that I've managed to remove the beading from one side of the
window, unfortunately in three pieces. I've also got half of the

central
(?) bead off, also broken. This allowed me to open the hatch and

extract
the two sash weights, both with broken cords. Now just popping out to

get
some sash cord and some other bits 'n' pieces.

Hopefully SWMBO won't mind the mountain of gloss paint chippings all

over
the place ;-))

I did this a couple of years ago while the CDO was away. I was bored
and wanted to see how the window worked, and whether I could tidy it up.
To be fair, she was a little concerned by the fact that the bathroom
window was propped shut by some 2x2 screwed to the frame, but the
finished result is a whole load better.

In all, stripping right back to the wood, staining and varnishing took
about 6 days in total, over a number of weeks. I've been forbidden from
trying this on any other windows, so if your Swmbo is anything like
mine, make the most of this experience.

--
Hywel I do not eat quiche
http://hyweljenkins.co.uk/

sash windows dave UK diy 8 September 12th 03 09:33 AM
Windows, multi-reply for Mr. McArdle. jerrybuilt UK diy 1 August 19th 03 09:25 AM
[OT] Car insurance craziness The Q UK diy 173 August 2nd 03 10:58 PM
Off Thread replies... THE TRUTH! Jet UK diy 2 July 27th 03 12:10 AM