Richard Savage

Default Potterton Suprima 100

I have one of the above boilers which is now just over 3 years old. It
is set to 80% of maximum temperature and the H/W cylinder stat is at 65
deg C.

It has started to intermittently trip to a fault state (red LED
flashing).

Unfortunately the installing plumber can't visit until the New Year so I
was wondering if anyone can suggest investigation steps that I should
pursue.

TIA Richard

Rob

On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 18:55:49 +0000, Richard Savage
wrote:

It has started to intermittently trip to a fault state (red LED
flashing).

1) Join the ever increasing number of delighted Suprima owners
2) Search google for Suprima lockout
3) You probably have a faulty PCB
4) try CESLTD for a refurbished pcb or
5) Get signed up to British Gas boiler cover and hope it works the day
they inspect it and then 5a) call them in to replace it the next week

Hundreds of houses on our estate were fitted with these boilers, and
the engineer we know said he'd done about 40 PCBs.

Of course you could always try contacting Potterton about their
obvious design-flawed model, and good luck if you do!

regards
-Rob
geoff

In message , Richard Savage
writes
I have one of the above boilers which is now just over 3 years old. It
is set to 80% of maximum temperature and the H/W cylinder stat is at 65
deg C.

It has started to intermittently trip to a fault state (red LED
flashing).

Unfortunately the installing plumber can't visit until the New Year so I
was wondering if anyone can suggest investigation steps that I should
pursue.

1) google "Suprima lockout problem"
2) go to my website www.cetltd.com
3) replace the pcb yourself
--
geoff
geoff

In message , Rob
writes
wrote:

It has started to intermittently trip to a fault state (red LED
flashing).

1) Join the ever increasing number of delighted Suprima owners
2) Search google for Suprima lockout
3) You probably have a faulty PCB
4) try CESLTD for a refurbished pcb or
5) Get signed up to British Gas boiler cover and hope it works the day
they inspect it and then 5a) call them in to replace it the next week

Hundreds of houses on our estate were fitted with these boilers, and
the engineer we know said he'd done about 40 PCBs.

Of course you could always try contacting Potterton about their
obvious design-flawed model, and good luck if you do!

For amusement only, I presume
--
geoff
Antony

I had similar problems a couple of years ago at my previous house. The
boiler worked OK from cold for a few minutes. Once it had warmed up, it
would keep locking out when it was reset.

Following numerous searches on the internet and a posting on this newsgroup,
it seemed that the circuit boards in these boilers are very dodgy. Since the
boards were expensive to buy and I lived near the Baxi factory, it wasn't
much more expensive to get a Baxi engineer to come out on a fixed price
visit. £200 got me a new circuit board, a complete strip down and clean, a
test of voltages and pressures, 2 hours of labour and 12 months warranty. If
the circuit board hadn't fixed the problem, they would have come out and
replaced some more parts at no extra cost to me.

The engineer admitted that some batches of circuit boards were badly made.
The replacement board fixed my problem and I had no further problems.

The board looked easy to replace so you could probably do it yourself. The
question is, do you want to fork out for a new one in the new year or can
you live without heating for however long it takes Geoff to repair it?

Of course, it may not be the circuit board .... (always add a get-out clause
at the end of any posting just in case......)

"Richard Savage" wrote in message
I have one of the above boilers which is now just over 3 years old. It
is set to 80% of maximum temperature and the H/W cylinder stat is at 65
deg C.

It has started to intermittently trip to a fault state (red LED
flashing).

Unfortunately the installing plumber can't visit until the New Year so I
was wondering if anyone can suggest investigation steps that I should
pursue.

TIA Richard

Rob

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003 23:43:42 +0000, geoff wrote:

Of course you could always try contacting Potterton about their
obvious design-flawed model, and good luck if you do!

For amusement only, I presume

Presumably in the US we would have organised some sort of class
action, got Potterton to replace every Suprima pcb in the country,
claimed $000's for mental anguish, and all met up for bagels in the
local cafe.

Oh and apologies for getting your website wrong Geoff - just to
clarify, removing and replacing the pcb is a simple job.

-Rob

geoff

In message , Antony
writes

The board looked easy to replace so you could probably do it yourself. The
question is, do you want to fork out for a new one in the new year or can
you live without heating for however long it takes Geoff to repair it?

If I have them in stock I send out up-front

Of course, it may not be the circuit board .... (always add a get-out clause
at the end of any posting just in case......)

--
geoff
Ed Sirett

On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 19:01:21 +0000, Antony wrote:

[...]

Geoff can of course put his own case but I would say that you could
reasonably expect at least a return of post service IME.

Of course, it may not be the circuit board .... (always add a get-out clause
at the end of any posting just in case......)

In which case it would have to be the sensor (likely 30 quid)[not likely
if it went in only a few minutes] or the
overheat cut-out (cheaper), but the PCB is a known problem which defies
the rule "Try the cheap stuff first replace the PCB and gas valve last".

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

Potterton Suprima Lockout Roly UK diy 4 July 18th 05 10:20 PM
Q for anyone with good knowledge of potterton suprima (60) geoff UK diy 6 December 2nd 03 09:30 PM
CH boiler - making droning noise - Potterton Suprima 60 Eric the Red UK diy 2 September 29th 03 03:01 PM
Potterton Suprima 80 Michael UK diy 5 September 25th 03 10:17 PM
Potterton Suprima froggers UK diy 2 September 22nd 03 11:07 PM