Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Power meter

On one cct I would like to record the power over time .... kwh would be
simplest measurement.
I know you can get small kwh modules such as ....
http://tinyurl.com/zwyx2uo

Though these are instantaneous ... need something that can record
cumulative .. or at least until reset or similar ....

In case someone suggest a mechanical device - don't want to go that route.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
rick writes:
On one cct I would like to record the power over time .... kwh would be
simplest measurement.
I know you can get small kwh modules such as ....
http://tinyurl.com/zwyx2uo

Though these are instantaneous ... need something that can record
cumulative .. or at least until reset or similar ....

The one you point to above measures kWh, according to the posting
and the 5th photo.

The terminals don't look like they're rated anywhere near the 20A
or 30A claimed max current though. In one place it implies it uses
an external current transformer, but the wiring diagram doesn't
show one.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

on 12/09/2016, rick supposed :
On one cct I would like to record the power over time .... kwh would be
simplest measurement.
I know you can get small kwh modules such as ....
http://tinyurl.com/zwyx2uo

Though these are instantaneous ... need something that can record cumulative
.. or at least until reset or similar ....

In case someone suggest a mechanical device - don't want to go that route.

You can get 13amp plug in units, which can measure various things -
volts, power factor, current, Kw, KwH. Might one of those do?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 Sep 2016 21:57:37 -0000 (UTC),
(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

In article ,
rick writes:
On one cct I would like to record the power over time .... kwh would be
simplest measurement.
I know you can get small kwh modules such as ....
http://tinyurl.com/zwyx2uo

Though these are instantaneous ... need something that can record
cumulative .. or at least until reset or similar ....

The one you point to above measures kWh, according to the posting
and the 5th photo.

The terminals don't look like they're rated anywhere near the 20A
or 30A claimed max current though. In one place it implies it uses
an external current transformer, but the wiring diagram doesn't
show one.

But the picture does doesn't it?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/09/2016 22:31, rick wrote:
On one cct I would like to record the power over time .... kwh would be
simplest measurement.
I know you can get small kwh modules such as ....
http://tinyurl.com/zwyx2uo

Though these are instantaneous ... need something that can record
cumulative .. or at least until reset or similar ....

In case someone suggest a mechanical device - don't want to go that route.

Some of the energy monitors "given away" by the utility companies had
memories to store usage over a week/month. Some had USB interfaces where
you could plug them into a computer and as long as the computer was on
would log the power usage.

These types uses a remote current transformer/sender which normally
clips on to the household incoming mains cable and a seperate receiver
which displays usage etc.

Depending on application, something such as

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LCD-Power-...AOSwq19XDKU t

Various different models on Ebay with more/less functionality.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"T i m" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 12 Sep 2016 21:57:37 -0000 (UTC),
(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

In article ,
rick writes:
On one cct I would like to record the power over time .... kwh would be
simplest measurement.
I know you can get small kwh modules such as ....
http://tinyurl.com/zwyx2uo

Though these are instantaneous ... need something that can record
cumulative .. or at least until reset or similar ....

The one you point to above measures kWh, according to the posting
and the 5th photo.

The terminals don't look like they're rated anywhere near the 20A
or 30A claimed max current though. In one place it implies it uses
an external current transformer, but the wiring diagram doesn't
show one.

But the picture does doesn't it?

That is a different product. Tricked me initially too.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-in-1-AC264...-/221611843324

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 13 Sep 2016 10:58:42 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

"T i m" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 12 Sep 2016 21:57:37 -0000 (UTC),
(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

In article ,
rick writes:
On one cct I would like to record the power over time .... kwh would be
simplest measurement.
I know you can get small kwh modules such as ....
http://tinyurl.com/zwyx2uo

Though these are instantaneous ... need something that can record
cumulative .. or at least until reset or similar ....

The one you point to above measures kWh, according to the posting
and the 5th photo.

The terminals don't look like they're rated anywhere near the 20A
or 30A claimed max current though. In one place it implies it uses
an external current transformer, but the wiring diagram doesn't
show one.

But the picture does doesn't it?

That is a different product. Tricked me initially too.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-in-1-AC264...-/221611843324

Ah, yes.

Then I agree with Andrew and that I'm not sure those terminals would
be good for 20A (Max 30A)?

I was considering a good 'capacity' meter for my electric outboard
motor / battery combo but I think because the capacity varies with
load it might be a difficult ask.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote:
Some of the energy monitors "given away" by the utility companies had
memories to store usage over a week/month. Some had USB interfaces where
you could plug them into a computer and as long as the computer was on
would log the power usage.

These types uses a remote current transformer/sender which normally
clips on to the household incoming mains cable and a seperate receiver
which displays usage etc.

The OP didn't tell us what kind of range they need, so it's difficult to
tell how accurate they need to be. I suspect those aren't very accurate for
measuring things in the tens of watts or below.

I recently looked for a plug-in monitor with remote data capability and the
best I could find was this:
https://energenie4u.co.uk/catalogue/product/MIHO004-RT
(available elsewhere for less)

adding a 4 pound Raspberry Pi Zero if needs be.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/09/2016 01:58, Rod Speed wrote:

news
(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

That is a different product. Tricked me initially too.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-in-1-AC264...-/221611843324

Good spot .... if I used that one, with current transformer .. might
give what I want.
Description says ..."save cumulative power" implies it does record
what I need.
I have pinged a question to them .... see what they come back with.

Never used a current pick up transformer before, would extending the
leads be much of an issue ... would need around 2m.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/09/2016 22:58, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

You can get 13amp plug in units, which can measure various things -
volts, power factor, current, Kw, KwH. Might one of those do?

unfortunately no

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/09/2016 12:05, Theo wrote:
alan_m wrote:
Some of the energy monitors "given away" by the utility companies had
memories to store usage over a week/month. Some had USB interfaces where
you could plug them into a computer and as long as the computer was on
would log the power usage.

These types uses a remote current transformer/sender which normally
clips on to the household incoming mains cable and a seperate receiver
which displays usage etc.

The OP didn't tell us what kind of range they need.

OK ... should have explained.
I have a PV array on my roof and it dumps any spare generated power into
my immersion heater.
Just thought adding a kwh recording device would be useful for me to see
how much I am 'storing'

So measuring between 0 to 3kw power supplied.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/09/16 13:15, rick wrote:
On 13/09/2016 12:05, Theo wrote:
alan_m wrote:
Some of the energy monitors "given away" by the utility companies had
memories to store usage over a week/month. Some had USB interfaces where
you could plug them into a computer and as long as the computer was on
would log the power usage.

These types uses a remote current transformer/sender which normally
clips on to the household incoming mains cable and a seperate receiver
which displays usage etc.

The OP didn't tell us what kind of range they need.

OK ... should have explained.
I have a PV array on my roof and it dumps any spare generated power into
my immersion heater.
Just thought adding a kwh recording device would be useful for me to see
how much I am 'storing'

So measuring between 0 to 3kw power supplied.

The cost of such a device will almost certainly exceed the value of the
electricity stored in a year.

kind word alone.

Al Capone

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 13 September 2016 08:54:13 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
On Tue, 13 Sep 2016 10:58:42 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

"T i m" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 12 Sep 2016 21:57:37 -0000 (UTC),
(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

In article ,
rick writes:
[...]

The meter indicated is AC. It won't work on your DC battery.

If you have an AC motor with electronic inverter speed control, it could be fitted between the motor and the speed controller.
Unless the speed control output is three phase. Which is quite likely.
In which case you'd need three of them.

The easiest way to determine how much power remains in your battery is a voltmeter.
It will give indication but only under load, ie, when the motor is actually running.
You may find the inverter (if that's what you have) will shut down below a certain battery voltage.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 13 September 2016 13:39:41 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 13/09/16 13:15, rick wrote:
On 13/09/2016 12:05, Theo wrote:
alan_m wrote:
[...]

Probably so.
Unless you have twenty people in the house bathing daily.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/09/2016 16:34, harry wrote:

Cheers, T i m

The meter indicated is AC. It won't work on your DC battery.

There is no DC there is no battery ... this is an AC feed to my 3kw
immersion fed from my Solar diverter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The cost of such a device will almost certainly exceed the value of the
electricity stored in a year.

It has been providing all my hot water 'for free' for past 3 months ....
so it will soon be paying for itself.

I want to measure the power 'dumped' so I can get accurate record.

I have generated 3.95MWh so far this year .... so plenty to store.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/09/16 13:15, rick wrote:
On 13/09/2016 12:05, Theo wrote:
alan_m wrote:
[...]

What is it with all these left brainers and everything being down to
'cost'. Why couldn't someone just be interested in seeing what is
going on and not mind spending some money [1] to see / measure that?

Cheers, T i m

[1] Especially in the case of PV and the FIT as it's mostly 'our'
money they are spending! ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"rick" wrote in message

The cost of such a device will almost certainly exceed the value of the
electricity stored in a year.

It has been providing all my hot water 'for free' for past 3 months ....
so it will soon be paying for itself.

I want to measure the power 'dumped' so I can get accurate record.

I have generated 3.95MWh so far this year .... so plenty to store.

It sounds as if your PV array is connected only to your immersion heater and
feeds it DC. If so, a suitable kWh meter would be expensive.
--
Dave W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/09/2016 16:37, harry wrote:

Probably so.
Unless you have twenty people in the house bathing daily.

I have a thermal store - so the stored energy is available for heating
as well as DHW.
Dish washer, Washing machine use the HW as well as also use the free leccy.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/09/2016 18:01, T i m wrote:

What is it with all these left brainers and everything being down to
'cost'. Why couldn't someone just be interested in seeing what is
going on and not mind spending some money [1] to see / measure that?

Cheers, T i m

[1] Especially in the case of PV and the FIT as it's mostly 'our'
money they are spending! ;-)

The cost of power meter is only £7 .... and as you say it is my interest
to see what is actually going on, rather than just assume.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/09/2016 21:52, Dave W wrote:

I have generated 3.95MWh so far this year .... so plenty to store.

It sounds as if your PV array is connected only to your immersion heater and
feeds it DC. If so, a suitable kWh meter would be expensive.

No, never mentioned DC.
To clarify the PV is connected to a normal DC-AC inverter ... connected
to my consumer unit. I use the output of that to power anything in the
house .... the excess is detected by a Solar diverter switch and dumped
into the immersion in my thermal store.
This avoids exporting anything out to the grid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In uk.d-i-y message , Tue, 13 Sep 2016
13:15:57, rick posted:

I have a PV array on my roof and it dumps any spare generated power
into my immersion heater.
Just thought adding a kwh recording device would be useful for me to
see how much I am 'storing'

So measuring between 0 to 3kw power supplied.

The immersion heater is a purely resistive load, and its resistance can
easily be measured. Therefore you do not need a power meter; you only
need to log the root mean square voltage applied to the load by the PV
array, and then do a little arithmetic.

If it happens that, when the PV can supply the heater, it always does so
at a particular voltage, you only need to measure the amount of time for
which it supplies.

--
(c) John Stockton, Surrey, UK. Turnpike v6.05 MIME.
Merlyn Web Site - FAQish topics, acronyms, & links.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/09/16 11:10, rick wrote:
On 13/09/2016 21:52, Dave W wrote:

I have generated 3.95MWh so far this year .... so plenty to store.

It sounds as if your PV array is connected only to your immersion
heater and
feeds it DC. If so, a suitable kWh meter would be expensive.

No, never mentioned DC.
To clarify the PV is connected to a normal DC-AC inverter ... connected
to my consumer unit. I use the output of that to power anything in the
house .... the excess is detected by a Solar diverter switch and dumped
into the immersion in my thermal store.
This avoids exporting anything out to the grid.

until you have all the hot water you can use....

all women"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 14 Sep 2016 11:10:41 +0100, rick
wrote:

On 13/09/2016 21:52, Dave W wrote:

I have generated 3.95MWh so far this year .... so plenty to store.

It sounds as if your PV array is connected only to your immersion heater and
feeds it DC. If so, a suitable kWh meter would be expensive.

No, never mentioned DC.
To clarify the PV is connected to a normal DC-AC inverter ... connected
to my consumer unit. I use the output of that to power anything in the
house .... the excess is detected by a Solar diverter switch and dumped
into the immersion in my thermal store.
This avoids exporting anything out to the grid.

So this 'Diverter switch' 'diverts' as much as our money as possible
into your bank account via the FIT scheme? [1] ;-) ducks

Cheers, T i m

[1] "given to or involved in making secret and underhand plans.
"they had mean, scheming little minds"
synonyms: cunning, crafty, calculating, devious, designing,
conniving, wily, sly, tricky, artful, guileful, slippery, slick;"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/09/2016 13:11, rick wrote:
On 13/09/2016 01:58, Rod Speed wrote:

Good spot .... if I used that one, with current transformer .. might
give what I want.
Description says ..."save cumulative power" implies it does record
what I need.
I have pinged a question to them .... see what they come back with.

Had confirmation from manufacturer - it does not store cumulative kwh
...... opposite to what description says.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/09/16 11:10, rick wrote:
On 13/09/2016 21:52, Dave W wrote:

I have generated 3.95MWh so far this year .... so plenty to store.

It sounds as if your PV array is connected only to your immersion
heater and
feeds it DC. If so, a suitable kWh meter would be expensive.

No, never mentioned DC.
To clarify the PV is connected to a normal DC-AC inverter ... connected
to my consumer unit. I use the output of that to power anything in the
house .... the excess is detected by a Solar diverter switch and dumped
into the immersion in my thermal store.
This avoids exporting anything out to the grid.

until you have all the hot water you can use....

Correct ... but due to size of my thermal store very rarely reach
maximum temp.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/09/2016 12:01, T i m wrote:

So this 'Diverter switch' 'diverts' as much as our money as possible
into your bank account via the FIT scheme? [1] ;-) ducks

Cheers, T i m

Exactly.

I get paid whether I use it or export it, so wife has now got into hang
of using high power draw items during generation periods.
I store anything she can't use.

You guys are funding it, so want to be as efficient with your money as
possible.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

rick wrote:
OK ... should have explained.
I have a PV array on my roof and it dumps any spare generated power into
my immersion heater.
Just thought adding a kwh recording device would be useful for me to see
how much I am 'storing'

So measuring between 0 to 3kw power supplied.

In which case one of the home energy monitors given away by utilities should
do fine - there are plenty on ebay, with and without USB ability. You just
have to break out live and neutral and fit their current sensor around only
one of them.

That will probably be easier/neater that measuring voltage or time - they
already come with a control panel gadget where you can see your 'usage' over
time. Many of them have wireless current sensors so you don't need to
locate the control panel near the sensor.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 14 Sep 2016 13:12:36 +0100, rick
wrote:

On 14/09/2016 12:01, T i m wrote:

So this 'Diverter switch' 'diverts' as much as our money as possible
into your bank account via the FIT scheme? [1] ;-) ducks

Cheers, T i m

Exactly.

I get paid whether I use it or export it, so wife has now got into hang
of using high power draw items during generation periods.
I store anything she can't use.

You guys are funding it, so want to be as efficient with your money as
possible.

Well that's very considerate of you. ;-)

Are we all invited round for Xmas?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 13 September 2016 16:50:45 UTC+1, rick wrote:

The cost of such a device will almost certainly exceed the value of the
electricity stored in a year.

It has been providing all my hot water 'for free' for past 3 months ....
so it will soon be paying for itself.

I want to measure the power 'dumped' so I can get accurate record.

I have generated 3.95MWh so far this year .... so plenty to store.

There is absolutely no prospect of storing a significant amount of energy.
Unless you have a swimming pool sized store.
And then most would leak away before you could use it.

This is why it's uneconomical to even bother trying to measure it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 14 September 2016 11:10:44 UTC+1, rick wrote:
On 13/09/2016 21:52, Dave W wrote:

I have generated 3.95MWh so far this year .... so plenty to store.

It sounds as if your PV array is connected only to your immersion heater and
feeds it DC. If so, a suitable kWh meter would be expensive.

No, never mentioned DC.
To clarify the PV is connected to a normal DC-AC inverter ... connected
to my consumer unit. I use the output of that to power anything in the
house .... the excess is detected by a Solar diverter switch and dumped
into the immersion in my thermal store.
This avoids exporting anything out to the grid.

No it does not.

When you water is up to temperature, the immersion heater shuts down and the power is exported.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 14 September 2016 23:45:33 UTC+1, Dr J R Stockton wrote:
In uk.d-i-y message , Tue, 13 Sep 2016
13:15:57, rick posted:

I have a PV array on my roof and it dumps any spare generated power
into my immersion heater.
Just thought adding a kwh recording device would be useful for me to
see how much I am 'storing'

So measuring between 0 to 3kw power supplied.

The immersion heater is a purely resistive load, and its resistance can
easily be measured. Therefore you do not need a power meter; you only
need to log the root mean square voltage applied to the load by the PV
array, and then do a little arithmetic.

If it happens that, when the PV can supply the heater, it always does so
at a particular voltage, you only need to measure the amount of time for
which it supplies.

--
(c) John Stockton, Surrey, UK. 拯merlyn.demon.co.uk Turnpike v6.05 MIME.
Merlyn Web Site - FAQish topics, acronyms, & links.

For a "Doctor" you're pretty thick.
His "Solar switch" varies the voltage to the immersion heater to match the power it consumes to the power generated by the PV panels.
The object is to avoid importing electricity when the PV is generating less than the (normally 3Kw) immersion heater.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/09/2016 07:10, harry wrote:

When you water is up to temperature, the immersion heater shuts down and the power is exported.

Obviously.

My point is my store can take a huge amount of energy which I would
otherwise be exporting ........... as I get paid either way the more I
use & store the better.
Yesterday I used (or stored) 11.6kWh and today (so far) 8.65kWh

I do not think I have yet got to the point that the store has reached
max temp and switched off immersion .......
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/09/2016 07:08, harry wrote:

There is absolutely no prospect of storing a significant amount of energy.
Unless you have a swimming pool sized store.
And then most would leak away before you could use it.

This is why it's uneconomical to even bother trying to measure it.

Rubbish .... you are way wrong on this

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/09/2016 11:25, Dr J R Stockton wrote:
In uk.d-i-y message , Tue, 13 Sep 2016
13:15:57, rick posted:

I have a PV array on my roof and it dumps any spare generated power
into my immersion heater.
Just thought adding a kwh recording device would be useful for me to
see how much I am 'storing'

So measuring between 0 to 3kw power supplied.

The immersion heater is a purely resistive load, and its resistance can
easily be measured. Therefore you do not need a power meter; you only
need to log the root mean square voltage applied to the load by the PV
array, and then do a little arithmetic.

If it happens that, when the PV can supply the heater, it always does so
at a particular voltage, you only need to measure the amount of time for
which it supplies.

Fair point.
Do you know of any suitable device, or do you mean just use an electric
clock ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/09/2016 07:15, harry wrote:
On Wednesday, 14 September 2016 23:45:33 UTC+1, Dr J R Stockton wrote:

For a "Doctor" you're pretty thick.
His "Solar switch" varies the voltage to the immersion heater to match the power it consumes to the power generated by the PV panels.
The object is to avoid importing electricity when the PV is generating less than the (normally 3Kw) immersion heater.

Harry ... sorry you are way wrong again ..... 3 posts in a row , good
even for you.

The solar switch I have ... switches full mains AC in time slices ....
it's either on or its off .... so its is always 220V
Posted to uk.d-i-y

rick wrote:

Dr J R Stockton wrote:

If it happens that, when the PV can supply the heater, it always does so
at a particular voltage, you only need to measure the amount of time for
which it supplies.

Fair point.
Do you know of any suitable device, or do you mean just use an electric
clock ?

An hours meter ...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181608482213

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 16 September 2016 16:08:48 UTC+1, rick wrote:
On 16/09/2016 07:15, harry wrote:
On Wednesday, 14 September 2016 23:45:33 UTC+1, Dr J R Stockton wrote:

For a "Doctor" you're pretty thick.
His "Solar switch" varies the voltage to the immersion heater to match the power it consumes to the power generated by the PV panels.
The object is to avoid importing electricity when the PV is generating less than the (normally 3Kw) immersion heater.

Harry ... sorry you are way wrong again ..... 3 posts in a row , good
even for you.

The solar switch I have ... switches full mains AC in time slices ....
it's either on or its off .... so its is always 220V

Doubtful.
But if so it's an inferior device.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/09/2016 16:28, harry wrote:
On Friday, 16 September 2016 16:08:48 UTC+1, rick wrote:
On 16/09/2016 07:15, harry wrote:
On Wednesday, 14 September 2016 23:45:33 UTC+1, Dr J R Stockton wrote:

For a "Doctor" you're pretty thick.
His "Solar switch" varies the voltage to the immersion heater to match the power it consumes to the power generated by the PV panels.
The object is to avoid importing electricity when the PV is generating less than the (normally 3Kw) immersion heater.

Harry ... sorry you are way wrong again ..... 3 posts in a row , good
even for you.

The solar switch I have ... switches full mains AC in time slices ....
it's either on or its off .... so its is always 220V

Doubtful.
But if so it's an inferior device.

Fact not doubtful

It works and the unit is used by a great many people .... the design
negates the need for changing the immersion to a lower voltage unit
(which some systems require)

As test I just put my multimeter across it ..... voltage is same as
mains voltage ......... and is either full on or full off.

Sampling is at 20Hz with a zero export threshold, you might be getting
loads of small time units of 'on' .... but that makes no difference to
an immersion.

Power meter? David UK diy 24 March 2nd 16 12:16 PM
Deteriorated Power Line Coming into House from Power Meter [email protected] Home Repair 6 October 24th 07 12:05 PM
Power Meter John Plant UK diy 5 September 22nd 07 12:33 AM
FS - anyone want this nice meter for their power generator? william_b_noble Metalworking 3 October 21st 05 02:08 AM
Power meter, Instr. wanted, please. [email protected] UK diy 7 July 30th 05 07:00 PM