Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wood stove recommendation

On 08/09/16 21:30, jim wrote:
The Natural Philosopher Wrote in message:
On 08/09/16 21:13, jim wrote:
Davey Wrote in message:
On Thu, 8 Sep 2016 11:26:31 -0700 (PDT)
harry wrote:

On Tuesday, 6 September 2016 17:13:44 UTC+1, R D S wrote:
We are looking at woodburning stoves, around max 5kw would suffice.

The guy who is going to fit it likes Esse and I quite like this,
https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=esse+525+stove

Cheapest I can see it for is £670 quid.

I don't want to save money buying something cheap and naff but
don't want to spend more than necessary.

So general opinions would be appreciated on stoves and prices.

You may well find the chimney/flue arrangements costs more then the
stove.

Agreed. The cost of upgrading our chimney was so much that we didn't
install the woodburner.

What did they suggest you needed?!

normally double skinned insulated stainless steel Easily a grand,
installed.

Stoves are less.

Ah the mythical insulated stainless flue liner again
...;-)

Nothing mythical about it. That's what I installed. BCO insisted.

In an existing flue?

yes.

How did you install that into an existing flue?
(You didn't is the correct answer in case you've forgotten)

Dropped it down from the chimney. Was a right bugger as there was a dogleg.

You dropped a sectional flue from the top?

Most of it. It was non trivial. The last bit we managed to connect by
over-lowering the top bit into the space just above the fireplace.

You are only allowed flexible flues for chimneys constructed IIRC before
1978.

Not read that, gorra link?

MM. That seems to have gone from the current (2010) regulations, I was
working to 2000 regulations. However the requirement for insulation on
non-condensing appliance flues exists.

http://www.topstak.co.uk/uploads/Reg...s/ADJ_2010.pdf

http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/existing-chimneys.html

"Lining existing chimneys

Flexible chimney liner may only be used to reline existing
chimneys, not for new chimneys. The chimney liner must be
suitable for the application and the manufacturer's fitting
instructions must be followed.
Chimney liner must be installed in one continuous length with no
joints within the chimney."

Your earlier link was to rigid sectional insulated flue pipe.

You sure you've not cooked your link (etc) up? Has been known ;-)

How can I cook a link up?

Someone said the double insulated flues were a myth,. They are not and
the link showed as much

Whether you need them is, however a bit harder to establish.

Te requirement these days seems to be for insulation alone, and arguably
a flexi surrounded by vermiculite is OK there. And there is no
requirement to install doubles in any existing flue. That was not the
case in my 2000 regulations. Only pre 1978 flues could be relined with
flexible.

I suspect that what has happened is some lobbying, and better quality
flexibles.

Lucas Bergkamp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 9 September 2016 14:03:38 UTC+1, jim wrote:
DICEGEORGE Wrote in message:
The chimney will be more expensive than the stove,
selkirk 6" is about £100 a meter

Way ott IME.

6" what? Specifically (please)

--
Jim K

Don't you know anything?

http://www.selkirkchimney.co.uk/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:

[...]

How cantlytin I cook a link up?

You cock it up and auto correct makes it cook....

Someone said the double insulated flues were a myth,. They are not and
the link showed as much

You can't fit those to existing flues though... Physically or
legally...

I can assure you can, and they are.

Whether you need them is, however a bit harder to establish.

Te requirement these days seems to be for insulation alone, and arguably
a flexi surrounded by vermiculite is OK there. And there is no
requirement to install doubles in any existing flue. That was not the
case in my 2000 regulations. Only pre 1978 flues could be relined with
flexible.

You saying the applicable bldg regs have been relaxed? That must
be a one off....

No, happens all the time.

Fortunately the EU doesn't control building regs, and they are by and
large not political hot potatoes, so sensible stuff happens.

I suspect that what has happened is some lobbying, and better quality
flexibles.

Or something else entirely...

Yawn, YOu are Rod Speed and I claim my life back

twenty-first centurys developed world went into hysterical panic over a
globally average temperature increase of a few tenths of a degree, and,
on the basis of gross exaggerations of highly uncertain computer
projections combined into implausible chains of inference, proceeded to
contemplate a rollback of the industrial age.

Richard Lindzen
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/09/16 16:55, jim wrote:
Oh deary me :-)

You make it up to suit as you go along, it's your life after all....

You make it up to suit as you go along, it's your life after all....

its shoes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

harry wrote:

[...]

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

harry Wrote in message:
On Friday, 9 September 2016 14:03:38 UTC+1, jim wrote:
DICEGEORGE Wrote in message:
The chimney will be more expensive than the stove,
selkirk 6" is about £100 a meter

Way ott IME.

6" what? Specifically (please)

--
Jim K

Don't you know anything?

http://www.selkirkchimney.co.uk/

Pft! Says you :-D
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

On 09/09/16 16:55, jim wrote:
Oh deary me :-)

You make it up to suit as you go along, it's your life after all....

You make it up to suit as you go along, it's your life after all....

Whatever
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:

[...]

You are confusing double skinned flexible flue with rigid flue pipe sections.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

harry wrote:

[...]

Someone is....
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Sep 2016 20:02:25 GMT

On 2016-09-10, jim k wrote:

[140 lines snipped]

Someone is....

Don't you ****s have delete keys?

Or even just highlight the relevant sentence, and then Reply.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/09/2016 21:02, Huge wrote:
Don't you ****s have delete keys?

Any post that doesn't show real stuff on the first page gets ignored here.

Andy