Bernie Hunt

Default Need Wood Recommendation

SWMBO wants be to turn her a salt container for the kitchen. It will hold
lose salt crystals used in cooking. Are there any woods that are better than
others for keeping moisture out? The piece will be mostly utilitarian, but
that doesn't mean that it has to be ugly. Any good suggestions would be
appreciated.

Thanks,
Bernie

George

"Bernie Hunt" wrote in message
SWMBO wants be to turn her a salt container for the kitchen. It will hold
lose salt crystals used in cooking. Are there any woods that are better
than others for keeping moisture out? The piece will be mostly
utilitarian, but that doesn't mean that it has to be ugly. Any good
suggestions would be appreciated.

Most salt cellars have holes in them, so all woods will be equal, I should
think. What she likes or you have, or both.

WillR

Bernie Hunt wrote:
SWMBO wants be to turn her a salt container for the kitchen. It will hold
lose salt crystals used in cooking. Are there any woods that are better than
others for keeping moisture out? The piece will be mostly utilitarian, but
that doesn't mean that it has to be ugly. Any good suggestions would be
appreciated.

Thanks,
Bernie

Have a look at these inserts.

A bit of rice in the salt keeps it flowing...

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...16&cat=3,48759

The any wood you like should be usable...

----

Will
http://woodwork.pmccl.com

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek
Chuck

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 02:58:33 -0400, "Bernie Hunt"
wrote:

SWMBO wants be to turn her a salt container for the kitchen. It will hold
lose salt crystals used in cooking. Are there any woods that are better than
others for keeping moisture out? The piece will be mostly utilitarian, but
that doesn't mean that it has to be ugly. Any good suggestions would be
appreciated.

Bernie,

Not sure of the wisdom of putting it in a wooden container. I keep
mine in a small glass bowl with an airtight, plastic lid and even at
that it starts to get cakey in humid weather. I would bet that loose
salt kept in a container of pretty much any wood might be prone to
solidify in humid weather.

--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

September 11, 2001 - Never Forget

Bjarte Runderheim

"Bernie Hunt" wrote in message
SWMBO wants be to turn her a salt container for the kitchen. It will hold
lose salt crystals used in cooking. Are there any woods that are better
than others for keeping moisture out? The piece will be mostly
utilitarian, but that doesn't mean that it has to be ugly. Any good
suggestions would be appreciated.

I would stick to hard woods, like maple, ash, beech or maybe one or
other variety of wood that carry leaves.
These woods do not normally set too much taste on the foodcontents
(does salt take flavor from wood?).
In any case, stay away from soft woods like fir, pine or other kinds of
wood that carry needles. These are normally full of resins and all kinds
of oils that will flavor most kinds of foodstuffs in an unwanted way.

Birch is my best tip for nonflavoring wood.

Bjarte

Leo Van Der Loo

Hi Chuck

I'm with you on that Chuck, we had a set of pepper and salt shakers,
they where made from beech wood and lacquered, turned and carved in a
piggy shape, looked good but lasted less than a year before the lacquer
from the salt shaker disintegrated and the wood began to show black
stain on the outside, also the shaker kept plugging up as the salt would
get damp en so the salt and rice had to be replaced often, we kept them
that long for their looks, they where cute.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Chuck wrote:

Bernie,

Not sure of the wisdom of putting it in a wooden container. I keep
mine in a small glass bowl with an airtight, plastic lid and even at
that it starts to get cakey in humid weather. I would bet that loose
salt kept in a container of pretty much any wood might be prone to
solidify in humid weather.

john

I would agree that salt absorbs moisture, its in its nature to do so.
I'm amazed that here on the west coast, or wet coast as many call it,
salt does not seem to cake even at high humidity levels. Even so, I
would think that salt would cause some instabilty in whatever wood you
choose. I'd go for an insert of some description to keep the salt from
being in direct contact with the wood. Or, you could seal the inside
with epoxy, use a water-thin variety and make sure that it is well
sealed then you effectively have a plastic insert in the shaker.

John

nulli null

I would be sure to use a food safe wood. The best that comes to mind for
'treen' (turnings for the kitchen) is rock maple (aka hard or eastern maple)
, how about a nice bit of fiddleback or quilted rock maple?.........(beech
is a good choice as well)

on a more serious note, I would avoid woods iwth a lot of extractives, such
as black walnut, cocobolo etc.

radio_ranch
"it's a scientific lifestyle"

"Bernie Hunt" wrote in message
SWMBO wants be to turn her a salt container for the kitchen. It will hold
lose salt crystals used in cooking. Are there any woods that are better
than others for keeping moisture out? The piece will be mostly
utilitarian, but that doesn't mean that it has to be ugly. Any good
suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bernie

George

"john" wrote in message
oups.com...
I would agree that salt absorbs moisture, its in its nature to do so.
I'm amazed that here on the west coast, or wet coast as many call it,
salt does not seem to cake even at high humidity levels. Even so, I
would think that salt would cause some instabilty in whatever wood you
choose. I'd go for an insert of some description to keep the salt from
being in direct contact with the wood. Or, you could seal the inside
with epoxy, use a water-thin variety and make sure that it is well
sealed then you effectively have a plastic insert in the shaker.

Salt in Europe is often kept in wooden containers on the table rather than
in "shakers," and is dispensed with a spoon, usually of wood. Impurities in
the form of calcium chloride used to make some salt highly hygroscopic, but
the modern table stuff has little or none, and some silicate added so that
"when it rains, it pours."

Wood is hygroscopic, as is sugar, and for the same reason. Hygroscopicity
of NaCl would not figure prominently in my choice of container. Comes in
wood, after all, though both are highly processed.

Leo Van Der Loo

Hi George

When was the last time you were in Europe, and where ??

I only was borne and raised there, (Still make yearly or more frequent
visits) and traveled and visited in the NW of Europe, like France ,
Belgium, Holland, Germany, Austria, Hungary and Italy, I don't remember
wooden salt containers on tables.

Over here in Canada they spread salt on some parts of the gravel roads,
to keep the dust down, seems to keeps the road damp.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

George wrote:
"john" wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

Dave Balderstone

In article , Leo Van Der Loo
wrote:

Over here in Canada they spread salt on some parts of the gravel roads,
to keep the dust down, seems to keeps the road damp.

Live in southern Ontario, eh?

Leo Van Der Loo

Hi Dave

Yes, in London Ontario, thats the deep south of Canada, Ha !!

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Dave Balderstone wrote:

In article , Leo Van Der Loo
wrote:

Over here in Canada they spread salt on some parts of the gravel roads,
to keep the dust down, seems to keeps the road damp.

Live in southern Ontario, eh?

WillR

Leo Van Der Loo wrote:
Hi George
=20
When was the last time you were in Europe, and where ??
=20
I only was borne and raised there, (Still make yearly or more frequent =

visits) and traveled and visited in the NW of Europe, like France ,=20
Belgium, Holland, Germany, Austria, Hungary and Italy, I don't remember=

=20
wooden salt containers on tables.
=20
Over here in Canada they spread salt on some parts of the gravel roads,=

=20
to keep the dust down, seems to keeps the road damp.
=20
Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

It certainly is a custom in some parts of Mexico...

A bowl of salt on the table -- good for dipping the jalepenos...

George wrote:
=20

Salt in Europe is often kept in wooden containers on the table rather =

than in "shakers," and is dispensed with a spoon, usually of wood. =20
Impurities in the form of calcium chloride used to make some salt=20
highly hygroscopic, but the modern table stuff has little or none, and=

=20
some silicate added so that "when it rains, it pours."

=20

--=20
Will R.
Jewel Boxes and Wood Art
http://woodwork.pmccl.com
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those=20
who have not got it.=94 George Bernard Shaw
Peter Hyde

In article ,
Leo Van Der Loo wrote:

Hi Dave

Yes, in London Ontario, thats the deep south of Canada, Ha !!

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Dave Balderstone wrote:

In article , Leo Van Der Loo
wrote:

Over here in Canada they spread salt on some parts of the gravel roads,
to keep the dust down, seems to keeps the road damp.

Live in southern Ontario, eh?

Leo it is not salt they use to keep the dust down it is I think
calcamite? or calcite? no doubt a chemist in the group will correct me.
They do use salt in the winter to melt ice and generally destroy the
roads and bridges and rust out our vehicles. Also to keep the dust down
it used to be common to spray old transformer oil (pcbs) on rural roads.
But I'm told in this environmental age that doesn't happen anymore!

--
Remove no & spam to email

meet me at:
http://peterhyde.bravehost.com/
Leo Van Der Loo

Hi Peter

You mean calcium chloride ?
I stand corrected, yes apparently, that is what is used,
and not sodium chloride as I was told, it is also used in winter now
apparently, prevents the problems that the rock salt use had on the
Hi-way infrastructure, also still works at lower temperatures, it's used
in liquid form.

Peter Hyde wrote:

Leo it is not salt they use to keep the dust down it is I think
calcamite? or calcite? no doubt a chemist in the group will correct me.
They do use salt in the winter to melt ice and generally destroy the
roads and bridges and rust out our vehicles. Also to keep the dust down
it used to be common to spray old transformer oil (pcbs) on rural roads.
But I'm told in this environmental age that doesn't happen anymore!

Peter Hyde

In article ,
Leo Van Der Loo wrote:

Hi Peter

You mean calcium chloride ?
I stand corrected, yes apparently, that is what is used,
and not sodium chloride as I was told, it is also used in winter now
apparently, prevents the problems that the rock salt use had on the
Hi-way infrastructure, also still works at lower temperatures, it's used
in liquid form.

Hi Leo
Yes calcium chloride is the real name, i was trying to remember what it
was and came up with an approximation. Thanks. Around here (Welland) I'm
afraid it is still very much salt and only salt that gets used as an ice
melter. Something to do with bean counting I guess. I don't understand
why us canadians can't learn to drive safely on snow covered roads. I
drove across the St.Bernard pass in the Alps with no salt on the road
and as far as i know most European countries only plough and then use a
coarse sand/grit for traction. Yes you have to watch your speed but it
sure seems to be far more environment friendly.
Anyway we are now severely OT so enough of my ranting!

--
Remove no & spam to email

meet me at:
http://peterhyde.bravehost.com/
George

"Leo Van Der Loo" wrote in message
Hi George

When was the last time you were in Europe, and where ??

What an insult. I don't challenge your bona fides.

Nonetheless, Scandinavia, Baltic and Russia.

George

"Leo Van Der Loo" wrote in message
Hi Peter

You mean calcium chloride ?
I stand corrected, yes apparently, that is what is used,
and not sodium chloride as I was told, it is also used in winter now
apparently, prevents the problems that the rock salt use had on the Hi-way
infrastructure, also still works at lower temperatures, it's used in
liquid form.

Of course, if you were not formulating an ad hominem, but reading my post
which you quoted, you'd have noticed that it's CaCl that attracts water.

Leo Van Der Loo

Hi George

That's NOT an insult, I named the countries that I visited, as you can
see there are a lot of countries I did not visit or stay in Europe, so
that's why I asked, as someone else said it is common in Mexico to have
salt in a wooden bowl on the table, also habits do change over time, so
something that was done in the 40th or 50th might very well be out now,
specially in the eastern part of Europe that have seen a big change in
living conditionings and habits.
No challenge, just like to know.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

George wrote:
"Leo Van Der Loo" wrote in message

Hi George

When was the last time you were in Europe, and where ??

What an insult. I don't challenge your bona fides.

Nonetheless, Scandinavia, Baltic and Russia.

Leo Van Der Loo

Hi George

The $1.-- words must have done it to me, yes you did put it in there,
you know some of us that have a mother tong that is not English don't
always pick up the hoyty toiyty words, and what is an ad hominem ?? even
my spell checker doesn't know, G.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

George wrote:

"Leo Van Der Loo" wrote in message

Hi Peter

You mean calcium chloride ?
I stand corrected, yes apparently, that is what is used,
and not sodium chloride as I was told, it is also used in winter now
apparently, prevents the problems that the rock salt use had on the Hi-way
infrastructure, also still works at lower temperatures, it's used in
liquid form.

Of course, if you were not formulating an ad hominem, but reading my post
which you quoted, you'd have noticed that it's CaCl that attracts water.

W Canaday

On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 21:25:38 -0400, Leo Van Der Loo wrote:

Hi Peter

You mean calcium chloride ?

Calcium Chloride IS a salt just as Sodium Chloride is a salt. Both are a
combination of a metal with chlorine.

Not a chemist, but I bumped into this info somewhere along the way.

Merriam-Webster agrees with me, calling it "a diliquescent salt CaCl(2)
used in its anhydrous state as a white porous solid as a drying and
dehumidifying agent and in a hydrated state to lay dust." (7th New
Collegiate Edition)

I will leave it to the reader to determine what is meant by 'diliquescent'.

Bill
Andrew Barss

George George@least wrote:

: Salt in Europe is often kept in wooden containers on the table rather than
: in "shakers," and is dispensed with a spoon, usually of wood.

My grandparents did the same thing, although it was a metal bowl,
and a very small metal spoon. Grandfather was first-generation (Irish), and
grandmother was from a wealthy family in either Pittsberg or Baltimore.

-- Andy Barss
George

"Andrew Barss" wrote in message
George George@least wrote:

: Salt in Europe is often kept in wooden containers on the table rather
than
: in "shakers," and is dispensed with a spoon, usually of wood.

My grandparents did the same thing, although it was a metal bowl,
and a very small metal spoon. Grandfather was first-generation (Irish),
and
grandmother was from a wealthy family in either Pittsberg or Baltimore.

Probably some deadly alloy to resist the salt. Pewter, perhaps?

Mike

Andrew Barss wrote:
George George@least wrote:

: Salt in Europe is often kept in wooden containers on the table rather than
: in "shakers," and is dispensed with a spoon, usually of wood.

My grandparents did the same thing, although it was a metal bowl,
and a very small metal spoon. Grandfather was first-generation (Irish), and
grandmother was from a wealthy family in either Pittsberg or Baltimore.

My In-Laws did the same, but in a smass glass bowl - approx 1"diax1/2"h. They
were both from Europe, Denmark and Ireland.

mike