Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Buying strip brass

Bit of an odd question, but I would like to buy some thin brass strips,
but no idea how 'thin' when looking at quoted measurements.

What I would like is brass strip as used on old 4.5v batteries. Firm
yet springy. Does that make sense? What sort of thickness should I be
looking for? I know how long and wide I need.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/09/2016 09:20, News wrote:

Bit of an odd question, but I would like to buy some thin brass strips,
but no idea how 'thin' when looking at quoted measurements.

What I would like is brass strip as used on old 4.5v batteries. Firm
yet springy. Does that make sense? What sort of thickness should I be
looking for? I know how long and wide I need.

A springy battery contact is possibly phosphor bronze.

Cheers
--
Syd
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06-Sep-16 9:20 AM, News wrote:

Bit of an odd question, but I would like to buy some thin brass strips,
but no idea how 'thin' when looking at quoted measurements.

What I would like is brass strip as used on old 4.5v batteries. Firm
yet springy. Does that make sense? What sort of thickness should I be
looking for? I know how long and wide I need.

I suspect you want phosphor bronze, rather than brass, if you want it
springy. Thickness is difficult to say without being able to know how
springy you want it.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/09/2016 09:20, News wrote:

Bit of an odd question, but I would like to buy some thin brass strips,
but no idea how 'thin' when looking at quoted measurements.

What I would like is brass strip as used on old 4.5v batteries. Firm
yet springy. Does that make sense? What sort of thickness should I be
looking for? I know how long and wide I need.

You can still buy the old 4.5v batteries although I think it is a
phosphor bronze rather than brass (try Wilkos or Amazon). You may be
able to get offcuts of brass strip from your local model engineering
club if you don't mind what shape they are. Won't be as springy as the
right stuff but it will probably work ok for long enough to be useful.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

News wrote:

Bit of an odd question, but I would like to buy some thin brass strips,
but no idea how 'thin' when looking at quoted measurements.

What I would like is brass strip as used on old 4.5v batteries. Firm
yet springy. Does that make sense? What sort of thickness should I be
looking for? I know how long and wide I need.

I disagree about it being phosphor bronze on throwaway batteries - too
expensive and you could easily make permanent bends in those strips for
some torch applications. Plus they were the wrong colour for PB which is
a bit more coppery than plain brass.

Springy enough to keep an electrical contact yes but not really a spring
in the sense of operating in a mechanism, where phosphor bronze is the
correct material to use.

I suspect the gauge on the "flat" torch battery would have been about 24
SWG.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/09/16 09:20, News wrote:

Bit of an odd question, but I would like to buy some thin brass strips,
but no idea how 'thin' when looking at quoted measurements.

What I would like is brass strip as used on old 4.5v batteries. Firm
yet springy. Does that make sense? What sort of thickness should I be
looking for? I know how long and wide I need.

I think that would be around 10-15 thou.

is that 0.4mm?

This is what you should find in a decent traditional model shop.

For springy you may need a phosphor bronze.

http://www.technobotsonline.com/strip-and-sheet.html

is probably a good bet if no model shop nearby.

too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
News wrote:
Bit of an odd question, but I would like to buy some thin brass strips,
but no idea how 'thin' when looking at quoted measurements.

What I would like is brass strip as used on old 4.5v batteries. Firm
yet springy. Does that make sense? What sort of thickness should I be
looking for? I know how long and wide I need.

For small amounts of materials Ebay can be quite good. For those who don't
have a fabricator nearby who might sell offcuts.

--
*Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Nightjar
writes
On 06-Sep-16 9:20 AM, News wrote:

Bit of an odd question, but I would like to buy some thin brass strips,
but no idea how 'thin' when looking at quoted measurements.

I suspect you want phosphor bronze, rather than brass, if you want it
springy.

Thanks for all the comments. I think the phosphor bronze suggestion is
key. Or possibly nickel silver.

--
Graeme