Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default mAh level for batteries

Looking to buy some rechargeable batteries for digital camera is there a
limit on the mAh level or should I just go for something like 4300 mAh
for better/longer lasting power.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote:

Looking to buy some rechargeable batteries for digital camera

What size? AA?

LSD NiMH are quite good if you want to leave them in the camera for
months and be sure they'll still be ready when you turn it on for that
critical shot.

is there a
limit on the mAh level or should I just go for something like 4300 mAh
for better/longer lasting power.

Above a certain capacity, the numbers turn to fiction, for AAs that
number's probably about 2900 now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 04/09/2016 20:35, Andy Burns wrote:
ss wrote:

Looking to buy some rechargeable batteries for digital camera

What size? AA?

LSD NiMH are quite good if you want to leave them in the camera for
months and be sure they'll still be ready when you turn it on for that
critical shot.

is there a
limit on the mAh level or should I just go for something like 4300 mAh
for better/longer lasting power.

Above a certain capacity, the numbers turn to fiction, for AAs that
number's probably about 2900 now.

Thanks for reply, yes it is AA. I previously had 2800s and they lasted
around 8 years but their life is pretty short now after a recharge,
although still useable.
I saw various from 800s to 4300s and hence asking the question. So
probably just get something around the 2900s
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/09/2016 20:24, ss wrote:
Looking to buy some rechargeable batteries for digital camera is there a
limit on the mAh level or should I just go for something like 4300 mAh
for better/longer lasting power.

Some of the capacity ratings printed on some of the batteries on Ebay
are a work of fiction. Check the web sites of reputable manufacturers
for batteries and check what their best offerings are for the size of
battery.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/09/16 20:24, ss wrote:
Looking to buy some rechargeable batteries for digital camera is there a
limit on the mAh level or should I just go for something like 4300 mAh
for better/longer lasting power.

I wonder if the self-discharge rate of the high mAh batteries (over
2500) is above that of the lower eneloop type. You might be better of
getting two packs of those rather than one of higher mAh, as they will
last a lot longer in storage. There's little point in having a 2900mAh
set only to find it is unusable when you need it as it is no longer charged.

--

Jeff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

As a general rule, if you are using them a lot in a short time, the big
capacity ones are very good, but if as has been mentioned you want to keep
them charged and hope they stay that way for a good time the big capacity
ones are not so good as they self discharge faster over time. At least this
has been my findings over the years. I don't know the reason for it, but
suspect that the construction in large capacity ones is less robust and more
prone to growth of those nasty little bits that bridge the electrodes over
time.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
ss wrote:

Looking to buy some rechargeable batteries for digital camera

What size? AA?

LSD NiMH are quite good if you want to leave them in the camera for
months and be sure they'll still be ready when you turn it on for that
critical shot.

is there a
limit on the mAh level or should I just go for something like 4300 mAh
for better/longer lasting power.

Above a certain capacity, the numbers turn to fiction, for AAs that
number's probably about 2900 now.

Thanks for reply, yes it is AA. I previously had 2800s and they lasted
around 8 years but their life is pretty short now after a recharge,
although still useable.
I saw various from 800s to 4300s and hence asking the question. So
probably just get something around the 2900s

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 4 September 2016 20:24:10 UTC+1, ss wrote:
Looking to buy some rechargeable batteries for digital camera is there a
limit on the mAh level or should I just go for something like 4300 mAh
for better/longer lasting power.

Make sure your camera can take rechargables.