Posted to sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

Default need to convert from MIC level to LINE-INPUT level

Most portable cassette tape recorders have a MIC jack where you can
plug in a simple microphone.

Hpwever, some recording devices only have a LINE-INPUT jack (a.k.a.
AUXILLARY INPUT jack).

What I need is a little gizmo (essentially a pre-amplifier, I guess)
that I can plug the microphone into and which in turn plugs into the
LINE-INPUT jack.

I'm not in a position right now to build one from scratch, so I need
to either (a) buy one ready made or (b) buy one in kit form that I can
assemble myself.

Any recommendations on mail-order places that sell this?

Posted to sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

On May 18, 3:47 am, wylbur37 wrote:
Most portable cassette tape recorders have a MIC jack where you can
plug in a simple microphone.

Hpwever, some recording devices only have a LINE-INPUT jack (a.k.a.
AUXILLARY INPUT jack).

What I need is a little gizmo (essentially a pre-amplifier, I guess)
that I can plug the microphone into and which in turn plugs into the
LINE-INPUT jack.

I'm not in a position right now to build one from scratch, so I need
to either (a) buy one ready made or (b) buy one in kit form that I can
assemble myself.

Any recommendations on mail-order places that sell this?

Hi, Wylbur. A preamp is exactly what you need. If you just want a
good bare bones preamp circuit board kit, and you have a regulated
10-30VDC voltage source available, you could do worse than the
Velleman K1803 preamp kit available from Jameco for $8.95.

http://www.vellemanusa.com/us/enu/pr...iew/?id=350480
http://www.jameco.com

If you're looking for something with an enclosure, you could try the
Elenco K-46 Stereo Preamp for $19.95. You can find a distributor at
their website:

http://www.elenco.com/

Remember to avoid using a low quality power supply with preamps. Get
a regulated linear supply.

Good luck
Chris

Posted to sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

On May 18, 4:23 am, Chris wrote:
Hi, Wylbur. A preamp is exactly what you need. If you just want a
good bare bones preamp circuit board kit, and you have a regulated
10-30VDC voltage source available, you could do worse than the
Velleman K1803 preamp kit available from Jameco for $8.95.

My apologies for forgetting to mention that the unit I'm looking for
should also be compact (i.e., fits in a shirt pocket), and runs on
either penlight or 9-volt batteries so you can take it on the road.

Posted to sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

"wylbur37" wrote in message
ups.com...
On May 18, 4:23 am, Chris wrote:
Hi, Wylbur. A preamp is exactly what you need. If you just want a
good bare bones preamp circuit board kit, and you have a regulated
10-30VDC voltage source available, you could do worse than the
Velleman K1803 preamp kit available from Jameco for $8.95.

My apologies for forgetting to mention that the unit I'm looking for
should also be compact (i.e., fits in a shirt pocket), and runs on
either penlight or 9-volt batteries so you can take it on the road.

The ONLY compact portable mic pre-amp to buy.
http://www.sonicstudios.com/access.htm#micamp

Posted to sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

"Rev. 11D Meow!" wrote in message

"wylbur37" wrote in message
ups.com...
On May 18, 4:23 am, Chris wrote:
Hi, Wylbur. A preamp is exactly what you need. If you just want a
good bare bones preamp circuit board kit, and you have a regulated
10-30VDC voltage source available, you could do worse than the
Velleman K1803 preamp kit available from Jameco for $8.95.

My apologies for forgetting to mention that the unit I'm looking for
should also be compact (i.e., fits in a shirt pocket), and runs on
either penlight or 9-volt batteries so you can take it on the road.

The ONLY compact portable mic pre-amp to buy.
http://www.sonicstudios.com/access.htm#micamp

You have got to be kidding? 1000$ for about 20$ in electronic parts and
maybe another 20-30 in manufacturing?

That site is about the biggest scam site I have seen in a while. MAybe they
meant yen instead of USD?

Posted to sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

wylbur37 wrote:

Most portable cassette tape recorders have a MIC jack where you can
plug in a simple microphone.

Hpwever, some recording devices only have a LINE-INPUT jack (a.k.a.
AUXILLARY INPUT jack).

What I need is a little gizmo (essentially a pre-amplifier, I guess)
that I can plug the microphone into and which in turn plugs into the
LINE-INPUT jack.

I'm not in a position right now to build one from scratch, so I need
to either (a) buy one ready made or (b) buy one in kit form that I can
assemble myself.

Any recommendations on mail-order places that sell this?

Over a hundred to choose from at:

http://www.markertek.com/SearchProdL...ort=prod&off=0

I like:

http://www.markertek.com/SearchProdu...f=33&sort=prod

--
GO BMW ORACLE! Bring "The Cup" back to the USA!
Posted to sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

Sounds like the sort of thing Maplin would sell.

www.ckp-railways.talktalk.net/pcbcad21.htm

Posted to sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

Marra wrote:

Sounds like the sort of thing Maplin would sell.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?...=2921&doy=19m5

Replacing the 741 with something superior would be an idea. It's pricey for a
noisy op-amp and a few Rs and Cs but you do get a pcb.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

wylbur37 wrote:

Most portable cassette tape recorders have a MIC jack where you can
plug in a simple microphone.

Hpwever, some recording devices only have a LINE-INPUT jack (a.k.a.
AUXILLARY INPUT jack).

What I need is a little gizmo (essentially a pre-amplifier, I guess)
that I can plug the microphone into and which in turn plugs into the
LINE-INPUT jack.

I'm not in a position right now to build one from scratch, so I need
to either (a) buy one ready made or (b) buy one in kit form that I can
assemble myself.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3-5mm-3-5-mm-I...QQcmdZViewItem

Posted to sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

In article ,
Eeyore wrote:

Marra wrote:

Sounds like the sort of thing Maplin would sell.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?...=2921&doy=19m5

Replacing the 741 with something superior would be an idea.

That would matter for a portable cassette recorder? ;-)

It's pricey for a
noisy op-amp and a few Rs and Cs but you do get a pcb.

--
*Half the people in the world are below average.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
Marra wrote:

Sounds like the sort of thing Maplin would sell.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?...=2921&doy=19m5

Replacing the 741 with something superior would be an idea.

That would matter for a portable cassette recorder? ;-)

Actually he didn't mention the recording device itself.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

In article ,
Eeyore wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
Marra wrote:

Sounds like the sort of thing Maplin would sell.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?...=2921&doy=19m5

Replacing the 741 with something superior would be an idea.

That would matter for a portable cassette recorder? ;-)

Actually he didn't mention the recording device itself.

True - but the implication is it's for this sort of use. If you were
aiming for a high quality recording from a mic you'd use an external mixer
to provide phantom power etc as well. Very few high quality self contained
recorders that have a mic input exist on the domestic market as there's
little demand for them, and making that mic amp side to a high standard
for practical use isn't as easy as it might seem.

--
* What do they call a coffee break at the Lipton Tea Company? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

"wylbur37" wrote in message
ups.com...
What I need is a little gizmo (essentially a pre-amplifier, I guess)

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...e+preamp&meta=

Posted to sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

"Jon Slaughter" wrote in message
et...

"Rev. 11D Meow!" wrote in message

"wylbur37" wrote in message
ups.com...
On May 18, 4:23 am, Chris wrote:
Hi, Wylbur. A preamp is exactly what you need. If you just want a
good bare bones preamp circuit board kit, and you have a regulated
10-30VDC voltage source available, you could do worse than the
Velleman K1803 preamp kit available from Jameco for $8.95.

My apologies for forgetting to mention that the unit I'm looking for
should also be compact (i.e., fits in a shirt pocket), and runs on
either penlight or 9-volt batteries so you can take it on the road.

The ONLY compact portable mic pre-amp to buy.
http://www.sonicstudios.com/access.htm#micamp

You have got to be kidding? 1000$ for about 20$ in electronic parts and
maybe another 20-30 in manufacturing?

That site is about the biggest scam site I have seen in a while. MAybe
they meant yen instead of USD?

Alec Baldwin You Ain't!

Posted to sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

"UCLAN" wrote in message

http://www.markertek.com/SearchProdu...f=33&sort=prod

--

We're sorry, your browser must be set up to accept cookies.
If cookies are already enabled then you may begin shopping.

Posted to sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

Rev. 11D Meow! wrote:
We're sorry, your browser must be set up to accept cookies.
If cookies are already enabled then you may begin shopping.

This complaint, from someone whose recommendation required the Javascript
virus installer?

--
We can't possibly imprison 300 million Americans for not paying their taxes,
so let's grant all of them amnesty NOW!