Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default TV problem

Panasonic plasma, just under five years old, sounds to me like power
supply tripping out when switched on. Blown capacitors?

Amazon (quick response) say speak to Panasonic first.

Panasonic (slow response) say sounds like motherboard, needs to be
inspected and they give me the number of a service guy (but not been
able to get hold of them yet).

A fair amount of stuff on the web about how to diagnose boards, but
arguably obsolete technology so not worth spending much money.

On balance better to whip the back off and poke around, rather than
getting a man in? I have some electronics experience, plus DVMs (and an
oscilloscope, for that matter).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 1 Sep 2016 17:30:20 +0100, newshound
wrote:

Panasonic plasma, just under five years old, sounds to me like power
supply tripping out when switched on. Blown capacitors?

Amazon (quick response) say speak to Panasonic first.

Panasonic (slow response) say sounds like motherboard, needs to be
inspected and they give me the number of a service guy (but not been
able to get hold of them yet).

A fair amount of stuff on the web about how to diagnose boards, but
arguably obsolete technology so not worth spending much money.

On balance better to whip the back off and poke around, rather than
getting a man in? I have some electronics experience, plus DVMs (and an
oscilloscope, for that matter).

The most valuable asset in fixing that sort of fault isn't either of
those, it's an ESR meter.

First use your eyes and replace any elecrolytics that have acquired
domed tops, If that doesn't work use the ESR meter on all the caps in
the PSU in situ with the power off, and the big one after the bridge
rectifier carefully discharged.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 01 Sep 2016 20:00:30 +0100, pamela wrote:

On 17:30 1 Sep 2016, newshound wrote:

Panasonic plasma, just under five years old, sounds to me like power
supply tripping out when switched on. Blown capacitors?

Amazon (quick response) say speak to Panasonic first.

Panasonic (slow response) say sounds like motherboard, needs to be
inspected and they give me the number of a service guy (but not been
able to get hold of them yet).

A fair amount of stuff on the web about how to diagnose boards,
but arguably obsolete technology so not worth spending much money.

On balance better to whip the back off and poke around, rather than
getting a man in? I have some electronics experience, plus DVMs (and an
oscilloscope, for that matter).

Why muck about with it if it's still under warranty? If they see you had
a go then you're on your own.

Not many TVs have a five year (or even four year) warranty.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/09/2016 17:30, newshound wrote:
Panasonic plasma, just under five years old, sounds to me like power
supply tripping out when switched on. Blown capacitors?

Amazon (quick response) say speak to Panasonic first.

Panasonic (slow response) say sounds like motherboard, needs to be
inspected and they give me the number of a service guy (but not been
able to get hold of them yet).

A fair amount of stuff on the web about how to diagnose boards, but
arguably obsolete technology so not worth spending much money.

Have a look on the youtube channel norcal715, he has done diagnostics on
lots of similar sets.

On balance better to whip the back off and poke around, rather than
getting a man in? I have some electronics experience, plus DVMs (and an
oscilloscope, for that matter).

Yup, checking on the outputs from voltage regulators and buck converters
is a good starting place. An ESR meter can also be handy for testing caps.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
Panasonic plasma, just under five years old, sounds to me like power
supply tripping out when switched on. Blown capacitors?

Amazon (quick response) say speak to Panasonic first.

Panasonic (slow response) say sounds like motherboard, needs to be
inspected and they give me the number of a service guy (but not been able
to get hold of them yet).

A fair amount of stuff on the web about how to diagnose boards, but
arguably obsolete technology so not worth spending much money.

On balance better to whip the back off and poke around, rather than
getting a man in?

Yes, with something of that age and being a
plasma which is getting to the useby date now.

I have some electronics experience, plus DVMs (and an oscilloscope, for
that matter).

A visual inspection of the caps after checking what others
have found with that model using google may well be enough.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/09/2016 20:26, Bob Eager wrote:
[...]

I'm surprised that anyone would buy a TV without a 5 year warranty. It's
an indication of quality - the vendor (manufacturer or retailer)) knows
that it is very unlikely that you will need to claim.

Biggles

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Biggles" wrote in message
[...]

I'm not given how few of them there are around.

It's an indication of quality - the vendor (manufacturer or retailer))
knows that it is very unlikely that you will need to claim.

But given that they are so rare, you end up paying a lot for that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
newshound wrote:
Panasonic plasma, just under five years old, sounds to me like power
supply tripping out when switched on. Blown capacitors?

Have a look on Ebay. You can usually buy used but good boards quite
cheaply - unless it is a very common fault.
Should be worth the punt if you are otherwise happy with the set.

--
*I don't believe in astrology. I am a Sagittarius and we're very skeptical.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 2 Sep 2016 08:01:24 +1000
"Rod Speed" wrote:

Not many TVs have a five year (or even four year) warranty.

I'm surprised that anyone would buy a TV without a 5 year
warranty.

I'm not given how few of them there are around.

None of the sets I have looked at have had a 5-year warranty, except
those supplied by John Lewis and Richer Sounds.

--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/09/2016 00:56, Davey wrote:
On Fri, 2 Sep 2016 08:01:24 +1000
"Rod Speed" wrote:

Not many TVs have a five year (or even four year) warranty.

I'm surprised that anyone would buy a TV without a 5 year
warranty.

I'm not given how few of them there are around.

None of the sets I have looked at have had a 5-year warranty, except
those supplied by John Lewis and Richer Sounds.

That's where to buy them from - John Lewis have dozens of different
models of all sizes and prices. I'm surprised that anyone would buy from
elsewhere without a 5 year warranty.

Biggles
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote:

Not many TVs have a five year (or even four year) warranty.

I'm surprised that anyone would buy a TV without a 5 year
warranty.

I'm not given how few of them there are around.

None of the sets I have looked at have had a 5-year warranty, except
those supplied by John Lewis and Richer Sounds.

That's where to buy them from - John Lewis have dozens of different models
of all sizes and prices. I'm surprised that anyone would buy from
elsewhere without a 5 year warranty.

We had/have a 42" Panny Viera from Apollo 2000 ~10 years back. They wanted
£1000 with 5 year warranty, Richer Sounds wanted £750. Apollo matched it
which really ****ed me off, just shows how much profit they make.
It's on all day every day from ~8am until ~2am, 47060 hrs so far. It's still
a perfect picture unless you watch the winter olympics (or a very white
advert) where white becomes light blue
I don't have the heart to dump it and at ~300 Watts it's good in the winter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"Biggles" wrote in message
[...]

Ohhh look, it's ****** Wodney with a more usual nick.
LMFAO.
It must be time you died, shirley?
I won't be far behind you.
Maybe we could organise a deal with the undertakers.
You giv'em a few hundred bread and jam makers (from yard sales [in spades])
plus 14 tons of jam, I'll supply the 13A plug tops (UK approved).
Bargain.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/09/2016 02:01, bm wrote:

We had/have a 42" Panny Viera from Apollo 2000 ~10 years back. They wanted
£1000 with 5 year warranty, Richer Sounds wanted £750. Apollo matched it
which really ****ed me off, just shows how much profit they make.
It's on all day every day from ~8am until ~2am, 47060 hrs so far. It's still
a perfect picture unless you watch the winter olympics (or a very white
advert) where white becomes light blue
I don't have the heart to dump it and at ~300 Watts it's good in the winter

1400 quid in electricity to run so far :-)

Is it in a reception building or something?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Clive George" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 02/09/2016 02:01, bm wrote:

We had/have a 42" Panny Viera from Apollo 2000 ~10 years back. They
wanted
£1000 with 5 year warranty, Richer Sounds wanted £750. Apollo matched it
which really ****ed me off, just shows how much profit they make.
It's on all day every day from ~8am until ~2am, 47060 hrs so far. It's
still
a perfect picture unless you watch the winter olympics (or a very white
advert) where white becomes light blue
I don't have the heart to dump it and at ~300 Watts it's good in the
winter

1400 quid in electricity to run so far :-)

Is it in a reception building or something?

Nope, a bog standard bungalow.
£3 a week, that's fine
That's less than fish'n'chips.
Crikey, a packet of fags is £10
It'll prolly pack up tomorrow, been really good tho
I'm loathe to part with it, the missus wants the next one on the wall, PITA.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
bm wrote:
We had/have a 42" Panny Viera from Apollo 2000 ~10 years back. They
wanted £1000 with 5 year warranty, Richer Sounds wanted £750. Apollo
matched it which really ****ed me off, just shows how much profit they
make.

But the difference is that if you do not claim on the Richer Sounds
waranty you get the money back as long you claim within 1 month of the
expiry date - been there, done that - no problems.

See: http://www.richersounds.com/information/warranties

Alan

--

Using an ARMX6
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
bm wrote:
We had/have a 42" Panny Viera from Apollo 2000 ~10 years back. They
wanted £1000 with 5 year warranty, Richer Sounds wanted £750.

So you paid £7500 for a telly as Richer Sounds charge 10% of the purchase
price for a 6 year warranty - see my other post.

Alan

--

Using an ARMX6
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9/1/2016 10:34 PM, Biggles wrote:
[...]

It's way out of warrenty, my "protection" is via SOGA which in England
seems to be taken as 6 years for TVs. Plus the fact that Panasonic has a
top reputation for reliability, although there do seem to be board
problems with the Plasmas.

The question is, whether it is worth faffing around getting a service
guy to call, which might cost £70 or more, then paying for a replacement
board, then chasing Amazon to get this refunded under SOGA for a machine
where another board might die next year. Rather than write off the last
year of life (worth about £100), and buy a new one. That's assuming I
can't find a quick fix if I have a poke around.

So on balance I think I will probably do that. I have already wasted
half an hour on the phone getting this far.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 02 Sep 2016 10:55:11 +0100
Alan Dawes wrote:

In article . com,
bm wrote:
We had/have a 42" Panny Viera from Apollo 2000 ~10 years back. They
wanted £1000 with 5 year warranty, Richer Sounds wanted £750. Apollo
matched it which really ****ed me off, just shows how much profit
they make.

But the difference is that if you do not claim on the Richer Sounds
waranty you get the money back as long you claim within 1 month of the
expiry date - been there, done that - no problems.

See: http://www.richersounds.com/information/warranties

Alan

"Not available on TVs, portables, Tablet PCs, accessories or
projectors".

and later:

For Tvs:"After 45 days, providing no claim has been made, you can also
terminate the agreement and receive a pro-rata refund at any time."

From that page.

I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with Richer Sounds, just
that the warranty options are a little bit less than what you're saying.

--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/09/16 12:07, newshound wrote:
[...]

IN these things you have to decide what your time is worth. AND what the
cost of running it is.

PLasma looks great but its power hungry, and that puts a strain on the
electronics as well as costing money.

By and large electrolytics are the first place to look, and power
transistors and diodes the second.

If you cant fix it on 4-6 hours, buy a new one is my inclination, but
that's how I value my time

]

"Saki"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9/2/2016 12:22 PM, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
[...]

Totally agree. Its residual life is worth ~£100, no more than a couple
of hours of my time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9/1/2016 5:30 PM, newshound wrote:
Panasonic plasma, just under five years old, sounds to me like power
supply tripping out when switched on. Blown capacitors?

Amazon (quick response) say speak to Panasonic first.

Panasonic (slow response) say sounds like motherboard, needs to be
inspected and they give me the number of a service guy (but not been
able to get hold of them yet).

A fair amount of stuff on the web about how to diagnose boards, but
arguably obsolete technology so not worth spending much money.

On balance better to whip the back off and poke around, rather than
getting a man in? I have some electronics experience, plus DVMs (and an
oscilloscope, for that matter).

Thanks to all for the advice which pretty much supports my feeling that
it's worth a quick look. Will report the results.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/09/2016 02:01, bm wrote:

We had/have a 42" Panny Viera from Apollo 2000 ~10 years back. They
wanted
£1000 with 5 year warranty, Richer Sounds wanted £750. Apollo matched it
which really ****ed me off, just shows how much profit they make.
It's on all day every day from ~8am until ~2am, 47060 hrs so far. It's
still
a perfect picture unless you watch the winter olympics (or a very white
advert) where white becomes light blue
I don't have the heart to dump it and at ~300 Watts it's good in the
winter

1400 quid in electricity to run so far :-)

Is it in a reception building or something?

Nope, a bog standard bungalow.

You mean you actually have the TV on for domestic use all the time? Corks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Graham. wrote:
The most valuable asset in fixing that sort of fault isn't either of
those, it's an ESR meter.

First use your eyes and replace any elecrolytics that have acquired
domed tops, If that doesn't work use the ESR meter on all the caps in
the PSU in situ with the power off, and the big one after the bridge
rectifier carefully discharged.

Some will remember I had a similar problem with a much newer Samsung LED
set. Sadly bought from Curry - so only the nominal one year warranty.
The PS was very accessible after removing the back - and also easily
removable. I checked every single electrolytic with my ESR meter - and
every single diode too, and the opto isolator. No fault found.

Eventually bought a used board off Ebay which sorted it. Cost about 35
quid.

With an older set - and one which cooks like a Plasma - there's a much
bigger chance it is just a failed cap.

--
*I got a job at a bakery because I kneaded dough.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/09/2016 02:01, bm wrote:

We had/have a 42" Panny Viera from Apollo 2000 ~10 years back. They
wanted
£1000 with 5 year warranty, Richer Sounds wanted £750. Apollo matched
it
which really ****ed me off, just shows how much profit they make.
It's on all day every day from ~8am until ~2am, 47060 hrs so far. It's
still
a perfect picture unless you watch the winter olympics (or a very white
advert) where white becomes light blue
I don't have the heart to dump it and at ~300 Watts it's good in the
winter

1400 quid in electricity to run so far :-)

Is it in a reception building or something?

Nope, a bog standard bungalow.

You mean you actually have the TV on for domestic use all the time? Corks.

LOL, we don't actually sit there watching it for 18 hrs a day. C'mon, out of
18 hrs there might be 1hr worth watching
Plus, we have to keep up to speed on brexit and that silly sod Corbyn

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/09/2016 02:01, bm wrote:

We had/have a 42" Panny Viera from Apollo 2000 ~10 years back. They
wanted
£1000 with 5 year warranty, Richer Sounds wanted £750. Apollo
matched it
which really ****ed me off, just shows how much profit they make.
It's on all day every day from ~8am until ~2am, 47060 hrs so far. It's
still
a perfect picture unless you watch the winter olympics (or a very white
advert) where white becomes light blue
I don't have the heart to dump it and at ~300 Watts it's good in the
winter

1400 quid in electricity to run so far :-)

Is it in a reception building or something?

Nope, a bog standard bungalow.

You mean you actually have the TV on for domestic use all the time? Corks.

If someone is partially disabled, that's about all you can do Watch TV
or read ...or listen to the radio.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Davey wrote:
On Fri, 02 Sep 2016 10:55:11 +0100
Alan Dawes wrote:

In article . com,
bm wrote:
We had/have a 42" Panny Viera from Apollo 2000 ~10 years back. They
wanted £1000 with 5 year warranty, Richer Sounds wanted £750. Apollo
matched it which really ****ed me off, just shows how much profit
they make.

But the difference is that if you do not claim on the Richer Sounds
waranty you get the money back as long you claim within 1 month of the
expiry date - been there, done that - no problems.

See: http://www.richersounds.com/information/warranties

Alan

"Not available on TVs, portables, Tablet PCs, accessories or
projectors".

and later:

For Tvs:"After 45 days, providing no claim has been made, you can also
terminate the agreement and receive a pro-rata refund at any time."

From that page.

I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with Richer Sounds, just
that the warranty options are a little bit less than what you're saying.

Thank you for pointing out that the've stopped including TVs in their
purchasable extended warranties. I just spoke to the manager of the local
Richer Sounds. A 6 year warranty is now included in the price of the TVs
that his store stocks so they no longer include them in the payable
warranties section.

Alan

--

Using an ARMX6
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo ,
newshound escribió:

. Plus the fact that Panasonic has a
top reputation for reliability

Recent reports of Panasonic TVs being unable to decode ITV HD after a
change in the way it's broadcast. Panansonic blaming Freesat, Freesat
blaming Panasonic, customer caught in the middle. Panasonic advising
users to use the SD channel as a fix (!)

May give you some indication of Panasonic's attitude if you have trouble
down the line.

http://www.joinfreesat.co.uk/panason...-up-issues-on-
panasonic-tvs-and-pvrs/

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) systemd: the Linux version of Windows 10
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/09/16 09:27, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artÃ*culo ,
newshound escribió:

. Plus the fact that Panasonic has a
top reputation for reliability

Recent reports of Panasonic TVs being unable to decode ITV HD after a
change in the way it's broadcast. Panansonic blaming Freesat, Freesat
blaming Panasonic, customer caught in the middle. Panasonic advising
users to use the SD channel as a fix (!)

May give you some indication of Panasonic's attitude if you have trouble
down the line.

http://www.joinfreesat.co.uk/panason...-up-issues-on-
panasonic-tvs-and-pvrs/

Its a reasonable thing to say on both sides.

I have a pana TV and it has irritating faults.

1/. When looking at the program guide, it mutes the sound and removes
the picture of the current channel. My Samsung is much better in that it
shows a thumbnail and keeps the sound

2/. In the same program guide, The speed of retrieval of information
about any given program is slow. About a second, which suggests the set
hasn't downloaded it and cached it like any other set does.

3/. The set is unable to keep up with BBC I_player content streamed over
the internet. It does the jerk and freeze thing. To be fair I haven't
tried i_player since it (the TV) downloaded the latest firmware update.

OTOH the picture and sound quality are excellent.

I am having issues with HD its true, but I put that down to a not very
good antenna.

As they affect the samsung as well.

Lucas Bergkamp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have a pana TV and it has irritating faults.

1/. When looking at the program guide, it mutes the sound and removes
the picture of the current channel. My Samsung is much better in that it
shows a thumbnail and keeps the sound

I subscribe to a group where this was discussed with regards third party
software/firmware for a PVR. The split was around 50:50 for muting and
not muting audio/video. The adopted solution was to provided both modes
of operation by way of a menu option.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan_m wrote:

I have a pana TV and it has irritating faults.

1/. When looking at the program guide, it mutes the sound and removes
the picture of the current channel. My Samsung is much better in that
it shows a thumbnail and keeps the sound

I subscribe to a group where this was discussed with regards third party
software/firmware for a PVR. The split was around 50:50 for muting and
not muting audio/video. The adopted solution was to provided both modes
of operation by way of a menu option.

My Panasonic - under two years old - shows a thumbnail of the channel and
keeps the sound on too when you select the EPG. There is a brief
interruption in the sound when selecting the EPG - and cancelling it too -
though which annoys.

The actual picture quality of the Panny is far better than the previous
Samsung as regards fleshtones and details therein. The Samsung seemed to
do a Photoshop job on faces. It also was by far the most difficult set
I've ever had to set the picture close to what I'd expect from a broadcast
monitor. It appeared to be designed for those who only watch cartoons in
bright sunlight. The Panny wasn't a million miles out straight from the
box, and easy to adjust.

Panasonic have always been an odd company to deal with - based on
Panasonic Broadcast many years ago. Didn't like any design faults pointed
out.

Other thing which really annoyed with the Samsung was different picture
levels between its own tuner and my Humax HD one - fed HDMI. With no way
of correcting this.

The same PVR into the Panny is just fine.

--
*Keep honking...I'm reloading.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-09-04, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artÃ*culo ,
newshound escribió:

. Plus the fact that Panasonic has a top reputation for reliability

Recent reports of Panasonic TVs being unable to decode ITV HD after a
change in the way it's broadcast. Panansonic blaming Freesat, Freesat
blaming Panasonic, customer caught in the middle. Panasonic advising
users to use the SD channel as a fix (!)

May give you some indication of Panasonic's attitude if you have
trouble down the line.

http://www.joinfreesat.co.uk/panason...-up-issues-on-
panasonic-tvs-and-pvrs/

Following our foolish (*) purchase of a Panasonic DVR, I will never be
buying another Panasonic product ever again, and I recommend everyone
else to do likewise, especially after the above.

(* I'm never buying a complex technological product on the basis of
on-line reviews ever again. The damn thing is a total piece of ****. I
should have manned up and taken it back.)

I'm very happy with the Humax HDR Fox T2 off eBay, with hacked firmware.
Pulled my first reciording off it yesterday to make a DVD!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-09-04, Mike wrote:

En el artículo8qadnfGRrNQVwFTKnZ2dnUU78XfNnZ2d@brightvi ew.co.uk,
escribió:

[...]

Panasonic used to make nice loudspeaking phones. The latest
offering has half the volume level. It's just a rebrand exercise.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, September 2, 2016 at 12:26:13 AM UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
newshound wrote:
Panasonic plasma, just under five years old, sounds to me like power
supply tripping out when switched on. Blown capacitors?

Have a look on Ebay. You can usually buy used but good boards quite
cheaply - unless it is a very common fault.
Should be worth the punt if you are otherwise happy with the set.

1st step: identify the power supply board, it will be where the mains cable goes to.
2nd step: read off the board's part number.
3rd step: put the number into Google. Similar TV's might share the same board, but different screen sizes will have different boards.
4th step: see if a UK supplier exists. There used to be a guy in Glascow that stocked everything like this.