Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default TV problem

In article ,
Graham. wrote:
The most valuable asset in fixing that sort of fault isn't either of
those, it's an ESR meter.

First use your eyes and replace any elecrolytics that have acquired
domed tops, If that doesn't work use the ESR meter on all the caps in
the PSU in situ with the power off, and the big one after the bridge
rectifier carefully discharged.

Some will remember I had a similar problem with a much newer Samsung LED
set. Sadly bought from Curry - so only the nominal one year warranty.
The PS was very accessible after removing the back - and also easily
removable. I checked every single electrolytic with my ESR meter - and
every single diode too, and the opto isolator. No fault found.

Eventually bought a used board off Ebay which sorted it. Cost about 35
quid.

With an older set - and one which cooks like a Plasma - there's a much
bigger chance it is just a failed cap.

--
*I got a job at a bakery because I kneaded dough.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.