Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default uPVC French Doors - stripped screw holes

Doing a routine clean and lube on my french doors and found the bottom
locking mechanism strip a little loose. Tried to tighten the screws and a
couple turned without gripping.

Any ideas on how to close up the hole to give the screws another chance or
am I looking and drilling some fresh holes in the locking bar?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 24 Aug 2016 14:32:37 GMT, DerbyBorn wrote:

Doing a routine clean and lube on my french doors and found the bottom
locking mechanism strip a little loose. Tried to tighten the screws and a
couple turned without gripping.

Any ideas on how to close up the hole to give the screws another chance or
am I looking and drilling some fresh holes in the locking bar?

Had this on some windows, so used some stainless steel self-tappers from TS.
They were a bit bigger and 'bit' well in the same holes.
IIRC, oversize screws with the 'correct' thread are availabble.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/08/2016 15:32, DerbyBorn wrote:
Doing a routine clean and lube on my french doors and found the bottom
locking mechanism strip a little loose. Tried to tighten the screws and a
couple turned without gripping.

Any ideas on how to close up the hole to give the screws another chance or
am I looking and drilling some fresh holes in the locking bar?

Use fatter screws. You may need to increase the size of the holes in the
locking bar and/or the depth of the countersink slightly, if appropriate.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

PeterC wrote:

oversize screws with the 'correct' thread are availabble.

http://upvcspares4repairs.co.uk/upvc-window-door-fixing-screw-hardware-parts-repair.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote in
:

http://upvcspares4repairs.co.uk/upvc...crew-hardware-
parts-repair.html

Thanks for the link - I also saw the cavity plugs which look good.

I have a bit of a niggle about modern screws - the root diameter is not
tapered ligh and ond "No8" type screw - so you lose the wedging effect as
the screw drives deeper
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 25 August 2016 09:46:44 UTC+1, DerbyBorn wrote:

I have a bit of a niggle about modern screws - the root diameter is not
tapered ligh and ond "No8" type screw - so you lose the wedging effect as
the screw drives deeper

*CRACK* 'Oh sht, not again.'

NT