Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Query re upvc french doors

Hi,

My understanding is that these units have the glass fitted so it can
only be taken out from the inside (i.e. to stop baddies prising it out
from the outside). Is the rubber beading thicker on the side you can
take it out?

TIA
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ZeitGeist wrote:
Hi,

My understanding is that these units have the glass fitted so it can
only be taken out from the inside (i.e. to stop baddies prising it out
from the outside). Is the rubber beading thicker on the side you can
take it out?

TIA

About the same I think, but the rubber seal is part of the pvc beading
on the inside
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 14:32:50 +0100, stuart noble
wrote:

ZeitGeist wrote:
Hi,

My understanding is that these units have the glass fitted so it can
only be taken out from the inside (i.e. to stop baddies prising it out
from the outside). Is the rubber beading thicker on the side you can
take it out?

TIA

About the same I think, but the rubber seal is part of the pvc beading
on the inside

So what should I look for to differentiate between inner and outer
side? (I suspect things have been fitted the wrong way round.)

TIA
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ZeitGeist wrote:
My understanding is that these units have the glass fitted so it can
only be taken out from the inside (i.e. to stop baddies prising it out
from the outside). Is the rubber beading thicker on the side you can
take it out?

About the same I think, but the rubber seal is part of the pvc beading
on the inside

So what should I look for to differentiate between inner and outer
side? (I suspect things have been fitted the wrong way round.)

I dont think it would make any difference, it is very hard to get the
glass out with the rubber beading inside as there is no space to force
out the plastic edge strips, and it is also very dificult if the bead is
outside, as the edge strips do need some force to get them out, which
can only be done from the inside.
Any burglar will just force his/her way in, they wouldnt bother with
taking out a window when it can be (fairly) quietly broken. There was a
discussion earlier this year about locks, and whether it would be worth
buying good quality expensive locks - undoubtedly not worth it, IMO, as
every break-in I have attended has either had a window broken, or the
door has been forced open, or had a panel kicked out of it.
The patio doors I fitted last week look to be welded in when the glass
was fitted, they were just the same both sides, and the doors could be
fitted either way - inward or outward opening, so the makers are not
worried at all about security or weather protection, they think both
sides are equally good.
Alan.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ZeitGeist wrote:
Hi,

My understanding is that these units have the glass fitted so it can
only be taken out from the inside (i.e. to stop baddies prising it out
from the outside). Is the rubber beading thicker on the side you can
take it out?

TIA

on ours there is a 15mm quadrant that's removed to take the glass out

--
Kevin R
Reply address works

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 14:16:02 +0100, ZeitGeist wrote:

My understanding is that these units have the glass fitted so it can
only be taken out from the inside (i.e. to stop baddies prising it out
from the outside).

Look closely at the frame moulding. One side will be one complete bit of
plastic from the glass seal to where the frame disappers next to the wall.
The other will have a clip in quadrant of some sort from the glass seal to
the face of the frame. The glass is fitted from the side with the
quadrant.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ZeitGeist wrote:

My understanding is that these units have the glass fitted so it can
only be taken out from the inside (i.e. to stop baddies prising it out
from the outside). Is the rubber beading thicker on the side you can
take it out?

AFAIK uPVC windows of any size and shape can be obtained with the sealed
glass units designed to be fitted from the inside or the outside -
nothing to do with whether it's a French window or not.

These days externally fitted units are usually held in place with
glazing tape on the inner faces; this adhesive on this stuff is
incredibly strong and makes it pretty well impossible to demount a
fitted unit. When I was humming and ha'ing over which sort to choose,
the window farbricators (who supplied both types) reckoned that it's the
*internally* glazed units which are the less thief-resistant, since
after administration of a half-brick the broken unit can easily be
removed to give a 'clean' point of access (especially important these
days due to the undesirability of leaving and blood/DNA at the scene),
which is not possible with externally glazed units.

Externally-glazed uPVC windows usually have a narrower, less
unattractive frames too.

So if you're worried that your own windows may have been fitted 'wrong',
then it's certainly not necessarily the case.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
ZeitGeist wrote:

[...]

Burglary seems to have gone out of fashion round here. The only things
worth pinching are mobile phones, laptops, and credit cards, which are
unlikely to be left on the premises.