Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Stump removal

On 11/08/16 12:33, rick wrote:
On 8/11/2016 9:11 AM, harry wrote:

The other way is to light a fire round the stump and "fan" it with
leaf blower.

As per previous response setting fire to 100+ stumps id not an option.
Last time I tried burning out a stump it took days, and still left all
the serious sized roots behind - just too green to burn.

leylandii is full of natural turpentine.

They go up like rockets

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8/11/2016 12:40 PM, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

leylandii is full of natural turpentine.

They go up like rockets

Trying to burn the trimmings when I lopped 3m of the height was a no-go
...... loads of smoke, so much so had to put fire out. Didn't want to
burn green & damp wood that is for sure.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
rick wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

rick wrote:

Just reached out to a firm

shudder

£450 a day ... and estimates 3-4 days that is with stump grinder.

I was shuddering at the phrase, but I think I would at the price too.

IME stump grinders are very slow unless attached to a JCB size
machine..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/08/2016 12:21, rick wrote:
Have 45m run of double staggered Leylandii .... (no I didn't plant them)

Want to remove and plant something better ... I can obvioulsy use s
chain saw and cut down to a stump, there seems to be 2 main options to
removal of the remainder.

1. Pull out stump with a trefoil such as in this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZjqEC_FWqo
.... but how well will that work on 20 yr old Leylandii .... typical
diameter between 6 and 8 " .... assume roots will be extensive

2. Hire a stump grinder .... HSS have a 6HP model :
http://www.hss.com/hire/p/portable-stump-chipper

or do I need something beefier such as
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjEh...ature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N01tLiN60-o

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/08/2016 16:27, rick wrote:
On 8/10/2016 2:31 PM, mike wrote:
don't know what the reach of a backhoe is but if it's possible to
knock them out this way, I would spend the money on that rather than the
aggravation of hiring/using a stump grinder.

In fact, I'd look at hiring a long reach excavator if that's what's
necessary to teach the *******s who's boss. I hate Leylandii.

As per OP .. there is no option to get in a machine .... have a nice new
stone patio my side of wall ... so not putting machine on it .... and
other side of bank is a 25' drop to a filed ..... too steep to put a
machine on. (even if I did have access) ... it is also heavily wooded

Heavy lift helicopter? ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
On 10/08/2016 16:27, rick wrote:
On 8/10/2016 2:31 PM, mike wrote:
don't know what the reach of a backhoe is but if it's possible to
knock them out this way, I would spend the money on that rather than the
aggravation of hiring/using a stump grinder.

In fact, I'd look at hiring a long reach excavator if that's what's
necessary to teach the *******s who's boss. I hate Leylandii.

As per OP .. there is no option to get in a machine .... have a nice new
stone patio my side of wall ... so not putting machine on it .... and
other side of bank is a 25' drop to a filed ..... too steep to put a
machine on. (even if I did have access) ... it is also heavily wooded

Heavy lift helicopter? ;-)

a nearby house hired a crane to get conservatory parts over the roof top.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/08/2016 16:27, rick wrote:

As per OP .. there is no option to get in a machine .... have a nice
new stone patio my side of wall ... so not putting machine on it ....
and other side of bank is a 25' drop to a filed ..... too steep to put
a machine on. (even if I did have access) ... it is also heavily
wooded

So between you and the field is a heavily wooded area and a 25' drop.....

Why the heck do you need to replant with anything? Just drop the
leylandii by taking them off at/near ground level and forget about the
stumps.

If you find it necessary to have a demarked boundary put in a post and
rail fence. You could even leave a reasonable stump height and nail the
rails to them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/08/16 22:40, alan_m wrote:

or do I need something beefier such as
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjEh...ature=youtu.be

"Remove tree stump with hi-lift jack"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N01tLiN60-o

I like that.

--
Adrian C

Stump removal Mike Barnes[_2_] UK diy 29 May 8th 14 12:29 AM
HELP: stump removal Zz Yzx Home Repair 28 January 31st 12 01:11 AM
Can this really work? - Stump Removal Bill Stock Home Repair 17 May 1st 07 02:13 PM
Stump Removal Bob Simon Home Repair 2 April 11th 05 12:09 AM
Tree stump removal Brian UK diy 46 April 6th 04 12:57 PM