Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Insulation "problems"??

Hi,
I am going to ask here because I do not want truck with "sales calls".

I keep getting a call from some company or other ( can never hear the name) about loft insulation I have allegedly go in my roof that could be "irritant".

I keep being asked questions (this is when I put the phone down)about how long my insulation has been in the loft, and whether I paid for it or whether it came as part of a scheme....

So what is this about? Trying to sell me more insulation or trying to rip out the existing insulation or what?

By the way, they have wrong information because I have loft insulation going back around 20 years ago topped up by hubby around five years back.

I applied for new insulation under a grant scheme a few years back but we didnt take it because they wanted to fill the walls with cavity insulation and put a blanket of insulation across the roof and we would have lost our boarded out loft storage space- so hubby put in some extra insulation himself just around the outsides of the boarded area instead. Since they wanted to dictate what insulation and cavity wall insulation as well and it came as a package, we didnt get the offer one.

Anyone had anything like this who can tell me what it is about? I am curious and the calls are a bit of a annoyance now. I really do not want to engage a person on a cold call on the phone. I dont like being questioned about my home and my finances by strangers on the phone.....I did ask " What are you trying to sell me?" and she said " Nothing".....which I cant believe.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 10 August 2016 07:04:21 UTC+1, sweetheart wrote:
[...]

In days of yore, roof insulation was glass fibres, notoriously itchy.
There is a theory afoot that this stuff is as bad as asbestos, (ie can cause cancer).
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...es-cancer.aspx
Modern fibres (allegedly) are OK.

You need cavity wall insulation.
And roof insulation.
There are systems available to put floors on top of the roof insulation. (Like little stilts).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Hogg wrote:
On Tue, 9 Aug 2016 23:04:18 -0700 (PDT), sweetheart
wrote:

[...]

Nothing to do with insulation, but it sounds as though you could do
with blocking nuisance calls. Sign up with the telephone preference
service: http://tinyurl.com/btb4fz8

Which will have virtually no effect.

BT8500 phone (or newer variants) with Truecall is what you want.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BT8500-Enha...words=truecall

Tim

--
Trolls AND TROLL FEEDERS all go in my kill file

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/08/2016 08:40, Tim+ wrote:
Chris Hogg wrote:

Nothing to do with insulation, but it sounds as though you could do
with blocking nuisance calls. Sign up with the telephone preference
service: http://tinyurl.com/btb4fz8

Which will have virtually no effect.

I would tend to disagree. Having done it myself, I found that it does
block a reasonable proportion. Many of the remainder can also be sent
scurrying at the mention of the TPS.

It s won't stop the international ones and some of the less scrupulous
ones, but I found it worth doing (especially since its easy and costs
nothing)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
On 10/08/2016 08:40, Tim+ wrote:
Chris Hogg wrote:

Nothing to do with insulation, but it sounds as though you could do
with blocking nuisance calls. Sign up with the telephone preference
service: http://tinyurl.com/btb4fz8

Which will have virtually no effect.

I would tend to disagree. Having done it myself, I found that it does
block a reasonable proportion. Many of the remainder can also be sent
scurrying at the mention of the TPS.

It s won't stop the international ones and some of the less scrupulous
ones, but I found it worth doing (especially since its easy and costs
nothing)

Been registered for years but we receive one or two international calls
every day in addition to calls purporting to be from UK numbers.

It's worth registering as it costs nothing but there does seem to be a lot
of variation on how often some numbers are targeted by cold callers.

Tim

--
Trolls AND TROLL FEEDERS all go in my kill file
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Or an answering machine set to a minimum of 3 rings.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 10 Aug 2016 08:59:45 +0100
Chris Hogg wrote:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BT8500-Enha...words=truecall

"Block up to 100% of nuisance calls". Sounds like a broadband speed
advert!

It's when it boasts of blocking more than 100% you begin to wonder.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8/10/2016 9:31 AM, wrote:
[...]

Well they *may* be part of a legitimate scheme, ISTR that councils and
electricity suppliers used to get brownie points for getting insulation
installed. But they are UNDOUBTEDLY lying ******* scum, the type of
people who made my mother's final years with Alzheimers' even more of a
misery than they needed to be.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Get a true call device and live in relative peace from dingbats trying to
sell you rubbish.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"sweetheart" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/08/2016 08:40, Tim+ wrote:

BT8500 phone (or newer variants) with Truecall is what you want.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BT8500-Enha...words=truecall

+1

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/08/2016 08:40, Tim+ wrote:

Which will have virtually no effect.

+1

BT8500 phone (or newer variants) with Truecall is what you want.

I purchased one around 6/9 months ago and not one nuisance call has come
through or has gone to the answerphone. I recommend the latest versions
of Truecall phones.

I just used the basic call blocking where International callers or
number withheld are presented with the phone generated message and they
have to press a hash key to get through to the phone or answer machine.
Automatic diallers don't take any notice of the message and don't press
the hash key at their end. Other cold callers usually hang up
immediately on getting a pre recorded message.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/08/2016 10:28, John Rumm wrote:
On 10/08/2016 08:40, Tim+ wrote:
Chris Hogg wrote:

Nothing to do with insulation, but it sounds as though you could do
with blocking nuisance calls. Sign up with the telephone preference
service: http://tinyurl.com/btb4fz8

Which will have virtually no effect.

I would tend to disagree. Having done it myself, I found that it does
block a reasonable proportion. Many of the remainder can also be sent
scurrying at the mention of the TPS.

It s won't stop the international ones and some of the less scrupulous
ones, but I found it worth doing (especially since its easy and costs
nothing)

Despite being with the TPS I was starting to get around 20 calls per
week with the majority presenting number withheld or International.
A large percentage were automated and when the answerphone cut in a
message was recorded. Most were about PPI, having illegal gas boilers
(it's illegal to have a boiler more than 10 years old) and claiming
damages for accidents that I haven't had. Presumably all calls were on
behalf of UK companies.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/08/2016 7:04 AM, sweetheart wrote:

I keep being asked questions (this is when I put the phone down)about
how long my insulation has been in the loft, and whether I paid for
it or whether it came as part of a scheme....

Dependent upon mood;

I will let them chat away about a product before saying I'm in a
council house.

I will ask their name, and using their name, ask them to kindly remove
me from the list, adding, I am in a council house.

And, if I want the caller to quickly terminate the call without a
fuss, I tell them I'm in a council house.

However, this does not deter automated calls or, more importantly,
Charlie from India who knows you have a problem with your Windows
operating system.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
RayL12 wrote:
On 10/08/2016 7:04 AM, sweetheart wrote:

I keep being asked questions (this is when I put the phone down)about
how long my insulation has been in the loft, and whether I paid for
it or whether it came as part of a scheme....

Dependent upon mood;

I will let them chat away about a product before saying I'm in a
council house.

I will ask their name, and using their name, ask them to kindly remove
me from the list, adding, I am in a council house.

And, if I want the caller to quickly terminate the call without a
fuss, I tell them I'm in a council house.

However, this does not deter automated calls or, more importantly,
Charlie from India who knows you have a problem with your Windows
operating system.

I had a csll yesterday from someone with a very English name - but sounding
as though he was from a long way away. I let him witter on and then he
asked me how old I was, I told him and he said he'd take my name off the
list and hung up. I wonder how many lists I'll get removed from.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/08/2016 09:00, charles wrote:
I had a csll yesterday from someone with a very English name - but sounding
as though he was from a long way away. I let him witter on and then he
asked me how old I was, I told him and he said he'd take my name off the
list and hung up. I wonder how many lists I'll get removed from.

Our best one was the guy who spent ages trying to sell my wife solar
roof panels despite all her protestations that the council wouldn't
allow it. Finally she managed to tell him we're thatched and listed...
haven't been called again!

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for the replies. I have been out and about in the garden but I have still managed to accrue another three of this same call ( the caller is English - or at least sounds it) . I am already on the TPS,uselessas it is.

I am just putting the phone down now.

I dont want additional insulation frankly as I am still battling the condensation issues I have from double glazing. I certainly do not need to fill my walls with nasty bits of something or other.I get the feeling the house needs to breathe.

I am concentrating this year on new soffits facias and gutterings - but can I get anyone decent to give me a quote? Asked three firms already and still waiting for quotes three weeks later. I wouldnt mind its a bungalow,not even a high ladder job. All I can get are Anglian and Everest trying to scam me with massive prices. No Thanks.

Anyway, sorry about the rant. I will not be taking up offers of anyone re insulating my loft and walls any time soon. I am tired of unsolicited phone calls.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/08/2016 08:18, sweetheart wrote:
I dont want additional insulation frankly as I am still battling the condensation issues I have from double glazing.

Have you tried a dehumidifier?

The other thing to look at is heat recovery ventilation.

Andy