Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default PTFE pipe repair

Son (despair, despair) has put a fork through an underground water pipe.
He says the fountain was spectacular.

I remember the pipe in question - it is black and looks like ptfe, and
will have been installed in the '60's. When we had a previous leak at a
short exposed link, we found that the pipe was not a standard size and I
seem to remember finding a farming supplier in Wales who had some
fittings or adaptors, but I have no note of who or where they were.
Somewhere near Ruthin, I think.

For this reason we are loathe to cut and join the pipe. He was wondering
if there was some sort of adhesive that we could apply and then bind
with gaffer or other tape.

I found something online called Universal repair pack from Five Star
Adhesives in Runcorn, aka Starlok, but their site is out of date and
when I tried to make a Tinyurl, I got a refusal and warning of a spammed
site at

http://www.shop4glue.com/universal-g...r-pack-metal-a
ll-plastics-ptfe-polyethylene-polypropylene-silicone-81-p.asp

Has anyone any experience of this or similar product? Or trying to fix a
pipe in this way?
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill wrote:
[...]

You can't use tape over a water main, it won't last five minutes, and I'm
wary of any kind of sealant in an application like this.

Why not just get a couple of adapters and a small length of blue mdpe pipe
and join them together?

The adapters are about £3 each, you'll need two and a few feet of blue pipe:

http://www.drainagecentral.co.uk/MDP...FZAK0wod-24DUQ

Cheaper than the sealant that won't work.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Phil L" wrote in message

Cheaper than the sealant that won't work.

+1

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill wrote:

I found something online called Universal repair pack from Five Star
Adhesives in Runcorn, aka Starlok, but their site is out of date and
when I tried to make a Tinyurl, I got a refusal and warning of a spammed
site at

http://www.shop4glue.com

No experience of that product, but have bought polyweld/mekweld from
them in the past, their webshop has been offline for years while they
"move factory" they're they only company I've known to use pay after
delivery ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bill
writes
[...]

No just use a Philmac coupler with the appropriate inserts.

Black alkathene used *Johnson fittings* (I think) when it was first
introduced.

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Lamb
writes
Black alkathene used *Johnson fittings* (I think) when it was first
introduced.

Thanks to all. I have passed the various bits of info on.

I am not sure whether this outdoor pipe was a standard obsolete type.
Certainly, I remember trotting round a lot of plumbing suppliers with a
pipe end and a lot of shaking heads.

I know his plumber said the house plumbing used some peculiar
non-standard marine pipework.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7/30/2016 6:54 PM, ARW wrote:
"Phil L" wrote in message

Cheaper than the sealant that won't work.

+1

+2

(It won't be PTFE)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 30 Jul 2016 18:39:43 +0100, Bill wrote:

Son (despair, despair) has put a fork through an underground water pipe.
He says the fountain was spectacular.

I remember the pipe in question - it is black and looks like ptfe, and
will have been installed in the '60's.

Alkathene was we called it when Dad dug another well and got it
connected circa 1966,

When we had a previous leak at a
short exposed link, we found that the pipe was not a standard size and I
seem to remember finding a farming supplier in Wales who had some
fittings or adaptors, but I have no note of who or where they were.
Somewhere near Ruthin, I think.

Could it have been these people .
http://www.pipekit.co.uk/
Though the term somewhere near can be subjective depending if you live
in the burbs or in the middle of Exmoor.

For this reason we are loathe to cut and join the pipe. He was wondering
if there was some sort of adhesive that we could apply and then bind
with gaffer or other tape.

Has anyone any experience of this or similar product? Or trying to fix a
pipe in this way?

yes , for a short term emergency while the proper bits were obtained
but on a pipe that could be shut off after use.

A repair that could be fitted and forgotten would take more effort
and cost more than using the right parts.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

You need to identify the material. The stuff based on polyurethane had some
wonderful glue called urethane bond made I think by Dow Corning, but not
seen it lately. I assume this is feeding something of yours and not somebody
elses?
If its bodged the people it feeds will not be best pleased.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Bill" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/07/16 09:54, Brian Gaff wrote:
You need to identify the material. The stuff based on polyurethane had some
wonderful glue called urethane bond made I think by Dow Corning, but not
seen it lately. I assume this is feeding something of yours and not somebody
elses?
If its bodged the people it feeds will not be best pleased.
Brian

What you need is modern blue pipe to effect the repair and two couplers
to the old pipe which is as you say of a different diameter

https://www.pipestock.com/mdpe/mdpe-...ersal-coupling

windows of my apartment. (I live on the twenty-first floor.) "

Alan Sokal

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Bill
escribió:

Has anyone any experience of this or similar product? Or trying to fix a
pipe in this way?

Bit of tyre rubber over the hole and one or two jubilee clips? Space
the screw thread parts apart so that you have the bands sited next to
each other covering the hole.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) systemd: the Linux version of Windows 10
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 31 Jul 2016 11:20:55 +0100, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

En el artÃ*culo , Bill
escribió:

Has anyone any experience of this or similar product? Or trying to fix a
pipe in this way?

Bit of tyre rubber over the hole and one or two jubilee clips? Space
the screw thread parts apart so that you have the bands sited next to
each other covering the hole.

Two Johnson couplings and a bit of pipe of a *similar* size.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 30 July 2016 18:39:56 UTC+1, Bill wrote:
[...]

It's polythene not PTFE.
It has a very thick wall compared to the HDPE (blue stuf) we use today.
An ordinary 22mm compression fitting will usually do the fix.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill wrote:

I found something online called Universal repair pack from Five Star
Adhesives in Runcorn, aka Starlok, but their site is out of date and
when I tried to make a Tinyurl, I got a refusal and warning of a spammed
site at

http://www.shop4glue.com/universal-g...r-pack-metal-a
ll-plastics-ptfe-polyethylene-polypropylene-silicone-81-p.asp

I have bought from them in the past, they're OK, but they've been using
excuses like moving factory for way too long for not having a working
web shop ... phone them maybe?

Gas and non-gas PTFE polygonum UK diy 18 March 2nd 15 06:20 PM
To PTFE, or not to PTFE? Michael Kilpatrick[_2_] UK diy 5 April 9th 12 10:53 PM
PTFE covered wire - how to strip off the PTFE? N_Cook Electronics Repair 7 February 25th 11 01:59 PM
PTFE Gas Tape The Medway Handyman UK diy 29 December 8th 06 09:24 PM
ptfe tape for gas t60 UK diy 5 May 13th 05 04:58 PM