Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

Default Where can I obtain a new washer for garden pressure sprayer?

Have a look at this garden pressure sprayer for plants:

http://www.littletyke.myzen.co.uk/sprayer_pump.jpg

and the washer or seal in the bottom of the pump tube:

http://www.littletyke.myzen.co.uk/washer1.jpg
http://www.littletyke.myzen.co.uk/washer2.jpg

The washer shown is in good condition, but I have a larger sprayer to
eactly the same design (one sprayer is from Aldi, the other from
Wilko) which I stupidly left the whole winter half-full with white
vinegar, and as a result its washer is completely deformed.

But that is the ONLY part that stops the large sprayer from
functioning. I need a new washer, cost estimated at 2 pence!

Has anyone ~any~ idea where I might obtain such a washer?

There is the Matabi 5/ 7 Kima/ Style Repair Kit , and probably similar
kits, but these are more expensive than the sprayer was new.

The washer diameter is approx 21 mm.

By the way, I've called it a washer, but it's really a one-way valve
seal that allows the pump to pressurise the bottle.

Thanks.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

MM wrote:
[...]

Is it anything like this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_fr...220&_sacat =0

£3.89

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Tue, 26 Jul 2016 16:57:43 +0100, "Dan S. MacAbre"
wrote:

MM wrote:
[...]

Yes, the solid washer/seal in that pic looks the same, although one
cannot tell if it's the correct diameter.

However, because one is buying a kit, the price is again more than the
price of a new sprayer.

So frustrating when you know that there's a bin of parts somewhere in
China with 10,000 of the little buggers in. And for want of a 2p
washer, I have to throw away an otherwise perfectly good sprayer.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

MM wrote:
[...]

It reminds me of an aquarium air pump check valve. If you live near a
pet shop, you might try asking to see some?

There are also a few homemade garden sprayer projects on t'internet. If
you have the time and the inclination :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

wrote:

MM wrote:
[...]

Latest idea: Fix a bicycle inner tube valve in the side of the bottle
and pump it up from my bike-specific stirrup pump. It pumps up bike
tyres in a few seconds. The bottle is already fitted with a safety
valve so it's not going to explode.

Seal off the tube and piston (e.g. hot glue gun) so that the pressure
can't escape that way.

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

MM wrote:
[...]

It might be worth a try, at that. Is it meant to be pressurised once,
or continually pumped? I expect bicycle tyre valves are a weird thread,
though (if you need to buy nuts), and you'd need a very good seal.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7/26/2016 4:45 PM, MM wrote:
[...]

Possibly not applicable in this case, but you can sometimes cast a seal
"in situ" using two part silicone rubber (which does *not* adhere to
most things), or the DIY type with a layer of cling film or aluminium
foil against one or both faces, to prevent adhesion. Or glue the "lid"
on permanently with silicone, and drill a hole in the side of the bottle
for filling, sealed with a rubber bung.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

wrote:

MM wrote:
[...]

If the washer is in good condition, as when the sprayer was new, you
pump the plunger for about 30 seconds and that will produce a fine
spray for at least a dozen house plants. If you need it longer, just
pump some more.

I expect bicycle tyre valves are a weird thread,
though (if you need to buy nuts), and you'd need a very good seal.

I was thinking of something like this:
http://conexindia.com/conex/admin/pr...yre-valves.jpg

Or maybe take an old inner tube and cut out the valve, leaving a
portion of rubber around the base. Drill a tight hole in the bottle,
insert the valve from inside, using long tweezers or long-nose pliers,
then use a hot glue gun liberally from the outside to really "melt"
that baby in place.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Wed, 27 Jul 2016 20:03:29 +0100, newshound
wrote:

On 7/26/2016 4:45 PM, MM wrote:
[...]

Good ideas! I'll look into it later. Thanks.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7/28/2016 9:36 AM, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Thu, 28 Jul 2016 08:37:12 +0100, MM wrote:

Possibly not applicable in this case, but you can sometimes cast a seal
"in situ" using two part silicone rubber (which does *not* adhere to
most things), or the DIY type with a layer of cling film or aluminium
foil against one or both faces, to prevent adhesion. Or glue the "lid"
on permanently with silicone, and drill a hole in the side of the bottle
for filling, sealed with a rubber bung.

Good ideas! I'll look into it later. Thanks.

MM

Considering that you think you can get a new sprayer for less than
£3.89 (your reply to Danse Macabre's first post in this thread), you
do seem to be making very heavy weather of all this. If they're that
cheap, just go and buy a new sprayer FFS!

But not really in the DIY spirit! And to be fair, a bit of mastic, drill
a hole and add a rubber bung (recycled) should leave change from a quid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

wrote:

On 7/26/2016 4:45 PM, MM wrote:
[...]

No need to swear. Dunno why you're being so abusive. If you haven't
got anything useful to add, don't respond. Simples.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Fri, 29 Jul 2016 10:41:12 +0100, newshound
wrote:

[...]

Of course, but people like Chris Hogg get angry for no reason, just
because they can. They're basically bullies, seeking out new victims.

MM