Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Talk about selfish old people..

It looks as though nearly all the youngsters, that is the people that
will be most affected by the referendum, voted to stay in.

So loads of old codgers have voted on a major issue that has no effect
on them at all and left a mess for the next generation or two.

So it would be likely that all that has happened is that the UK will
reapply in a few years time when the old codgers have gone and rejoin at
but with worse terms.

That is assuming there is a UK and not a little England.

I can just imagine Scotland going independent and then joining the EU
and vetoing England's application.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/06/16 10:39, dennis@home wrote:

It looks as though nearly all the youngsters, that is the people that
will be most affected by the referendum, voted to stay in.

Only through a bigots eyes

So loads of old codgers have voted on a major issue that has no effect
on them at all and left a mess for the next generation or two.

No,

So it would be likely that all that has happened is that the UK will
reapply in a few years time when the old codgers have gone and rejoin at
but with worse terms.

No.

That is assuming there is a UK and not a little England.

I can just imagine Scotland going independent and then joining the EU
and vetoing England's application.

Yes, Scotland is full of ****s like you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 25 Jun 2016 10:39:40 +0100, dennis@home
wrote:

It looks as though nearly all the youngsters, that is the people that
will be most affected by the referendum, voted to stay in.

So loads of old codgers have voted on a major issue that has no effect
on them at all and left a mess for the next generation or two.

So it would be likely that all that has happened is that the UK will
reapply in a few years time when the old codgers have gone and rejoin at
but with worse terms.

That is assuming there is a UK and not a little England.

I can just imagine Scotland going independent and then joining the EU
and vetoing England's application.

I must admit as an "old codger", I did get miffed about EU
interference in trivia, although seing some stupid moron being
interviewed on the BBC this morning, I realise that there was no
thought behind the actions of a lot of the exit mob. The particular
cretin involved was a fisherman who was aware that the fish stocks had
improved and saw it as his duty to bring all the fish caught home to
feed Britain cheaply using the stuff that wasn't allowed to be landed.

Obviously he had conservation at heart, he didn't want to throw back
the overcatch and have it wasted.

Now he hopes he'll be fishing for "overcatch"!

There wasn't a very good educational system fifty years back. Further
education was a rarity but the gap could be filled with blind
patriotism and the knowledge that everywhere outside Britain was
populated by Gunga Din's eager and willing to serve.

Good luck to the Scot's. I'm sure many will be only too happy for a
second bite at the cherry.

It'll make for a novel experience, The M6 was always fairly good past
Carlisle. The queues of HGV's at customs will be a pain. just like
Drogheda used to be [and will be again if NI don't get their act
together].

I didn't vote, I didn't feel too strongly either way, but the more I
think about it the more horrific the situation seems.

The EU did some truly amazing things, and oddly enough I suspect we
may be the "sacrificial lamb". Brussels may perhaps start to sit up &
take notice of the opinions of those left in. Simply connecting more
with the EU population might be a good idea.

all I can say is the best of luck and thank God I have an EU botlhole
if there are any Irish passports left.

At least the Irish will stay the course, their educational system was
run by the Christian Brothers. Complete phsycopaths, but they did seem
to manage to pass on the ability to recognise which side of the bread
was buttered!

AB

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp
wrote:

[...]

It's only been extended past Carlisle in very recnt years. (2008)

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Funny how roads seem to get ingrained into the "system". Afteer a few
trips they seem like they have always existed.

I could have sworn that I was calling at Asda for the last 11 years or
so, although the prcise road details further on are not clear. I do
rember roadwork past those two "services" at the north end and they
went on for years

Still anyone investing in a chip shop, off licence and currency
exchange counter will not go too far wrong :-)
AB

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 25 Jun 2016 12:09:28 +0100, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp
wrote:

It'll make for a novel experience, The M6 was always fairly good past
Carlisle.

Once they plugged the "Cumberland Gap" but even now it's only the M6
for about 11 miles from J43 (7 from J44, Carlisle North).

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Archibald
Tarquin Blenkinsopp writes
I must admit as an "old codger", I did get miffed about EU interference
in trivia, although seing some stupid moron being interviewed on the
BBC this morning, I realise that there was no thought behind the
actions of a lot of the exit mob. The particular cretin involved was a
fisherman who was aware that the fish stocks had improved and saw it as
his duty to bring all the fish caught home to feed Britain cheaply
using the stuff that wasn't allowed to be landed.

I don't know about your moron, but the fairly small boat fishermen round
here have one major complaint.
They traditionally and effectively managed the stocks themselves until
the CFP started to affect them. Since then they complain about huge
French trawlers just off the estuary (Dee and Mersey) "scooping up all
the fish" and destroying their fishing grounds.

As far as I can tell, the number of these small, up to about 40 foot,
boats has been in terminal decline and I wouldn't expect any of the men
involved would have voted to stay.

And I was trying not to get sucked into any of this OT discussion.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
There wasn't a very good educational system fifty years back.

Complete ********. Willing to bet the basics were far better taught than
today. And that's not the fault of the schools.

--
*Learn from your parents' mistakes - use birth control

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
There wasn't a very good educational system fifty years back.

Complete ********. Willing to bet the basics were far better taught than
today. And that's not the fault of the schools.

It was my generation.

The quality of teaching was o/k but the opportunities were very
limited.

I remember being told how fortunate I was in secondary school, the
number of pupils taking "o" levels were in single figures out of over
a hundred. A "o" level is't exactly mensa admission material BTW.

Last time I went back to the same school the entrance was filled with
recent graduates photos.

The pupills were from the same area/ gene pool, there was nothing
wrong with the teaching staff. There was absolutely no opportunity for
advancement for most though.

I'm afraid it was the system, nothing else! Even if we could rattle
off multiplication tables and a few French nouns, the knowledge
accumulated wasn't that relevant.

Methinks there is something sadly amis when local shops have to use
discrete quantities or pounds & ounces this far down the line.

Even then sauntering off to Ireland did expose me to characters with
an ability to switch from Irish to English and latin. It probably
wasn't directly useful, but I know a lot ended up in England after
graduation.

Likewise while people half my age are kicking up a rumpus because they
can't buy their frozen pizzas in pounds and ounces in England, over in
Ireland I'll clamber into my hire car [km/ hour] and everything is
metric. So much easier.

[Copper pipe fittings excepted] I still dont understand why 22mm and
15 mm is the norm here, yet imperial is still used in the republic.

There, a DIY angle after all :-)

AB

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 25 Jun 2016 17:23:25 +0100, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp
wrote:

Last time I went back to the same school the entrance was filled with
recent graduates photos.

Graduates in what and where from? Remember these days any tin pot
college calls itself a "university", they have "graduates" but quite
likely not at degree level.

Also you *have* to be in employment, further education, or training
from "school leaving age" of 16. Real employment is a bit tricky at
16/17 as you aren't an "adult", so there are restrictions and all
manner of obligations employing a "minor" brings along. So as a 16
year old you don't have much choice but to be an apprentice, go to
6th Form and A levels or into "training" at what would have been the
local poly or technical college but is now a "university".

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Last time I went back to the same school the entrance was filled with
recent graduates photos.

Graduates in what and where from? Remember these days any tin pot
college calls itself a "university", they have "graduates" but quite
likely not at degree level.

Also you *have* to be in employment, further education, or training
from "school leaving age" of 16. Real employment is a bit tricky at
16/17 as you aren't an "adult", so there are restrictions and all
manner of obligations employing a "minor" brings along. So as a 16
year old you don't have much choice but to be an apprentice, go to
6th Form and A levels or into "training" at what would have been the
local poly or technical college but is now a "university".

Dunno but it's gone a long way from the establishment I used to
attend.

The school does up to "A" level now, so the graduates would actually
have been "processed" elsewhere.

Photos of ex pupils wearing mortar boards are very distant from the
somewhat dubious sports trophies I remember from my stint there.

AB

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In ,
Archibald Tarquin
wrote:

There wasn't a very good educational system fifty years back.

Complete ********. Willing to bet the basics were far better taught than
today. And that's not the fault of the schools.

Whose fault is it then?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 25 Jun 2016 18:57:21 +0100, Capitol wrote:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In ,
Archibald Tarquin
wrote:

There wasn't a very good educational system fifty years back.

Complete ********. Willing to bet the basics were far better taught than
today. And that's not the fault of the schools.

Whose fault is it then?

I suspect things were not that good years back actually.

I clearly recollect being threatened with a pair of scissors in
primary school. These were to be used to cut off the offending
digit[s] if I continued to use my left hand.

This would have been in 1959, St Josephs primary school, Hall St
Burslem S-O-T. The Teacher was Mrs Mc Corry, who lived in a villiage
outside the city [I think Rode Heath]

Now something must have made an impression if that lot stayed in the
memory banks.

We just don't get the same level of motivation these days.

And I still write with my left hand!!!

You can keep your freudian theories on motivation, your computers, B
ed's etc, and replace them with a pair of scissors.

AB

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp wrote
Capitol wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote
Archibald Tarquin
wrote

There wasn't a very good educational system fifty years back.

Complete ********. Willing to bet the
basics were far better taught than today.

You've just lost that bet on the basics of being able to read and write
alone.

And that's not the fault of the schools.

Even sillier than you usually manage.

Whose fault is it then?

I suspect things were not that good years back actually.

I know they weren't based on the number that
left school without being able to read or write alone.

I clearly recollect being threatened with a pair of scissors
in primary school. These were to be used to cut off the
offending digit[s] if I continued to use my left hand.

This would have been in 1959, St Josephs primary school,
Hall St Burslem S-O-T. The Teacher was Mrs Mc Corry,
who lived in a villiage outside the city [I think Rode Heath]

Certainly explains how you are today }-(

Now something must have made an impression
if that lot stayed in the memory banks.

True. My only similar recollection is being ****ed
off at being told that I could say 'we jumped on
the train' in one of my first essays in primary school.

But I have always been right handed.

We just don't get the same level of motivation these days.

And I still write with my left hand!!!

You can keep your freudian theories on motivation, your
computers, B ed's etc, and replace them with a pair of scissors.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/06/16 18:57, Capitol wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In ,
Archibald Tarquin

Lefty****s.

--
"What do you think about Gay Marriage?"
"I don't."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 26 Jun 2016 10:02:46 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 25/06/16 18:57, Capitol wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In ,
Archibald Tarquin
wrote:
There wasn't a very good educational system fifty years back.
Complete ********. Willing to bet the basics were far better taught than
today. And that's not the fault of the schools.

Whose fault is it then?

Lefty****s.

Absolutely spot on!

If the county didn't waste time with socialist pratts, we would have
satellite branches of Eton and Harrow on every street corner.

At least the broadminded conservatives are back at the helm of
education.

Do they scub their genitalia at Eton before prayers yet?

Onward & upward!!

and Hold off on the bacon butties!!

AB

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I must admit as an "old codger", I did get miffed about EU
interference in trivia, although seing some stupid moron being
interviewed on the BBC this morning, I realise that there was no
thought behind the actions of a lot of the exit mob. The particular
cretin involved was a fisherman who was aware that the fish stocks had
improved and saw it as his duty to bring all the fish caught home to
feed Britain cheaply using the stuff that wasn't allowed to be landed.

Obviously he had conservation at heart, he didn't want to throw back
the overcatch and have it wasted.

Now he hopes he'll be fishing for "overcatch"!

Not quite sure what point you're making there, but for information and
in case you didn't realise it, overcatch is dead. Once the fish are
subject to the traumas of being caught, hauled out of the water and
sorted into 'permitted' and 'not permitted', and the latter thrown
back, they're dead and only serve as food for the gulls or else they
just rot on the sea floor. They don't happily swim away to continue
their lives and have lots of babies!

At least if the overcatch were brought ashore, it could usefully be
sold, even if it were at a knock-down price into the fishmeal
fertiliser business.

Oh dear!

The keyword is "sold". If overcatch has a monetary value then it will
be a target, or even if it isn't seen as a direct target whats to stop
a boat pulling up tons of undersized or protected fish in the hope of
catching one or two of something saleable.

It isn't ideal, but if the overcatch is dumped then the skipper will
do his best to avoid wasting rescources will he not?

If he can't do that and goes out of buisiness, it isn't a problem. The
fish will grow, mature and be harvested responsibly and fairly for
someone with a more responsible approach.

As stated, it isn't ideal but if you want to go back to the way things
happened before I have little doubt what the result will be.
Fishmongers counters filled with farmed salmon and splodges of
processed protein scraped off shellfish.

AB.

AB

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 25 Jun 2016 10:39:40 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

I can just imagine Scotland going independent and then joining the EU
and vetoing England's application.

Wouldn't matter even if they did. Art. 50 doesn't require *all* member
states to assent to it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/06/16 10:39, dennis@home wrote:

It looks as though nearly all the youngsters, that is the people that
will be most affected by the referendum, voted to stay in.

So loads of old codgers have voted on a major issue that has no effect
on them at all and left a mess for the next generation or two.

So it would be likely that all that has happened is that the UK will
reapply in a few years time when the old codgers have gone and rejoin at
but with worse terms.

That is assuming there is a UK and not a little England.

I can just imagine Scotland going independent and then joining the EU
and vetoing England's application.

Personally, I think having voted, we just need to get on with it and
start rebuilding the country:

https://www.change.org/p/david-camer...ty-immediately

Cameron said back on 22nd Feb 2016:

"If the British people vote to leave, there is only one way to bring
that about, namely to trigger article 50 of the treaties and begin the
process of exit, and the British people would rightly expect that to
start straight away."

So once again, a lie from the mouth of a politician...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message

Cameron said back on 22nd Feb 2016:

"If the British people vote to leave, there is only one way to bring that about, namely
to trigger article 50 of the treaties and begin the process of exit, and the British
people would rightly expect that to start straight away."

So once again, a lie from the mouth of a politician...

Its not a lie at all. What the British people would rightly expect,
and what on reflection David Cameron is prepared to do,
aren't necessarily the same thing at all.

Now if he had said

"If the British people vote to leave, there is only one way to bring that about, namely
to trigger article 50 of the treaties and begin the process of exit, and I will
initiate that process straight away

Then that would be a lie.

In any case, when he made that statement he fully expected remain to
win and to emerge triumphant. Rather than losing and committing
political suicide.

Under such circumstances people, and not only politicians, may
make statements they later come to regret. So if its a choice
as it is in Cameron's opinion, between destroying the UK
economy or sacrificing some credibility among those like yourself,
then IMO Cameron has adopted the honourable course.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 25 June 2016 10:39:44 UTC+1, dennis@home wrote:
It looks as though nearly all the youngsters, that is the people that
will be most affected by the referendum, voted to stay in.

So loads of old codgers have voted on a major issue that has no effect
on them at all and left a mess for the next generation or two.

So it would be likely that all that has happened is that the UK will
reapply in a few years time when the old codgers have gone and rejoin at
but with worse terms.

That is assuming there is a UK and not a little England.

I can just imagine Scotland going independent and then joining the EU
and vetoing England's application.

Hey Den. I just found your problem.
It has been identified a while ago.
The Dunning-Kruger Effect.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunnin...3Kruger_effect
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Talk about gullible youngsters

On 25/06/2016 10:39, dennis@home wrote:

It looks as though nearly all the youngsters, that is the people that
will be most affected by the referendum, voted to stay in.

So loads of old codgers have voted on a major issue that has no effect
on them at all and left a mess for the next generation or two.

You mean the experienced older people saw through the remain bollox and
voted out - because the EU was like a tumor growing bigger every day and
the young inexperienced gullible voted remain because they fell for the
bull****.

So it would be likely that all that has happened is that the UK will
reapply in a few years time when the old codgers have gone and rejoin at
but with worse terms.

There won't be an EU to rejoin in a few years. RIP EU.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/06/2016 10:39, dennis@home wrote:

It looks as though nearly all the youngsters, that is the people that
will be most affected by the referendum, voted to stay in.

So loads of old codgers have voted on a major issue that has no effect
on them at all and left a mess for the next generation or two.

Or, many older people have voted to leave, knowing that in the short
term they may suffer due to any financial upsets, but believing it worth
it in the long term for the benefit of their children and grandchildren.
While many younger people have known nothing different and fear the
unkown of a different way of doing things.

So it would be likely that all that has happened is that the UK will
reapply in a few years time when the old codgers have gone and rejoin at
but with worse terms.

Or, when things have had time to settle down, the younger generation amy
realise that they are happier with independence.

That is assuming there is a UK and not a little England.

I can just imagine Scotland going independent and then joining the EU
and vetoing England's application.

The people of Scotland have a right to their own opinion, but they are a
small fraction of the population of the UK (or even of the size of
England). England cannot be held hostage to worries about pressure for
another Scottish referend from small section of the UK population.

In fact, we are lucky, if the decision had been to remain (by a small
majority), there would have been huge problems, as then you would have
had a majority in the much larger England and Wales voting to leave, but
held in by the more pro-EU Scots and Nothern Irish.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/06/2016 10:39, dennis@home wrote:

It looks as though nearly all the youngsters, that is the people that
will be most affected by the referendum, voted to stay in.

So loads of old codgers have voted on a major issue that has no effect
on them at all and left a mess for the next generation or two.

How does anyone know? Isn't it supposed to be a secret ballot? Since
each ballot box will - in general - contain the votes both of old and
young people, how does anyone know which is which? [Yes, I know, each
one is numbered and *can* be matched to the voter - but that's only
supposed to happen in cases of suspected fraud.]

Anyway, even if it's true, how do you know that older people voted to
leave out of selfish motives? I voted to leave because I truly believe
that restoring our sovereignty and some semblance of democracy will
genuinely benefit my children's and grand-children's generations long
after I've gone.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Mills" wrote in message

How does anyone know? Isn't it supposed to be a secret ballot?

Exit polls. In theory, selecting a representative sample of polling
stations and asking everyone who emerges one or two questions.
For instance in this case it might either be left down to
the pollster to guess the voter's age, or more likely given
the fairly specific categories actually ask them.
At the time they were asked people won't have known the
result, so there's no possibility of regret either way.
Similarly there's no reason to suspect any particular
bias in the answers they gave. i.e. those who regarded
is as a protest vote as much as anything had no reason
to lie. Same with all the other categories AFAICS.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/06/2016 10:39, dennis@home wrote:

It looks as though nearly all the youngsters, that is the people that
will be most affected by the referendum, voted to stay in.

Says the pollsters who often get it very wrong. Unless we no longer
have a 'secret' vote these days all it can be established is the number
who voted for remain or leave. The voting hasn't been broken down into
age groups.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 25 Jun 2016 19:19:57 +0100, alan_m wrote:

On 25/06/2016 10:39, dennis@home wrote:

It looks as though nearly all the youngsters, that is the people that
will be most affected by the referendum, voted to stay in.

Says the pollsters who often get it very wrong. Unless we no longer have
a 'secret' vote these days all it can be established is the number who
voted for remain or leave. The voting hasn't been broken down into age
groups.

"Talk about selfish old people." So let's see....this was a referendum in
which *everyone* who is able to vote can vote for what *they* want. Yes?
Or are these ******* saying that in *any* voting situation, like a general
election, you should vote for what you think *other* people want?
IMHO those that did *not* vote or register to vote, cannot complain, they
*had* the opportunity to do so.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote
dennis@home wrote

It looks as though nearly all the youngsters, that is the people
that will be most affected by the referendum, voted to stay in.

Says the pollsters who often get it very wrong.

When the result is quite close and a lot are undecided until polling day.

Unless we no longer have a 'secret' vote these days all it can
be established is the number who voted for remain or leave.

That's not right. You can get real radical and ask people
how they voted. And plenty say so quite unambiguously
and make it clear that they either like or dislike the result.

The voting hasn't been broken down into age groups.

That is just one way of working that out.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
It looks as though nearly all the youngsters, that is the people that
will be most affected by the referendum, voted to stay in.

Si its going to personally afect you then? Good!

So loads of old codgers have voted on a major issue that has no effect
on them at all and left a mess for the next generation or two.

My wife and I are both very "old codgers) and we both voted to stay!

Using your theory, then it must be that far more "young codgers" voted for
out!

So it would be likely that all that has happened is that the UK will
reapply in a few years time when the old codgers have gone and rejoin
at but with worse terms.

Remember, it was us old codgers that voted for IN the first place - and from
your attitude, that was probably before you were even born!

And what makes you think that the EU will want the "little Englanders" to
return?

That is assuming there is a UK and not a little England.

There is, and always has been, a "little England" and that will never
change.

I can just imagine Scotland going independent and then joining the EU
and vetoing England's application.

Let them go, as long as the rest of the UK stops paying them the millions
they are getting under the Barnet formula!

In a funny way, it's nice to see that the incumbent 'spin doctor' PM has
dropped a monumental bollock with the referendum - and to hear that Farriges
£300,000,000 that was to be given to the NHS upon Exit was a pack of lies
(sorry, he apparently said it was a mistake)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote

It looks as though nearly all the youngsters, that is the people that will
be most affected by the referendum, voted to stay in.

Even if that is true, it is far from clear if they have any real basis
for that preference. Yes, quite a few of them prefer the situation
where they are free to move anywhere they like in the EU for
work or just for a few year for the change of scene etc, but it is
far from clear that that is a very viable basis on which to make
such an important decision.

And plenty of them do that to all over the world, not just the EU anyway.

Same with the farts that want to be able to retire to Spain if they choose
to etc.

So loads of old codgers have voted on a major issue that has no effect on
them at all

That's a lie with those like Tomlinson who want to move out of Britain.

and left a mess for the next generation or two.

That assumes its a worse mess than with Britain remaining in the EU.

So it would be likely that all that has happened is that the UK will
reapply in a few years time when the old codgers have gone

That wont happen because the old codgers
will have been replaced by new old codgers.

and rejoin at but with worse terms.

Very likely. But maybe the eurozone will have imploded
by then, so mandating being part of that may have gone.

And it is even possible that the entire EU has imploded
and has returned to something much closer to the EEC,
and that that suits Britain much better than the EU too.

That is assuming there is a UK and not a little England.

Its still the most economically important part of Britain,
particularly now that the North Sea oil and gas is gone.

I can just imagine Scotland going independent

Its far from clear that it will get a referendum on that
now that it is likely to succeed. You dont often see a
polly like Cameron prepared to have referendums on
leaving. None of the other EU countrys which have
chunks than want to leave have ever had one.

and then joining the EU and vetoing England's application.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 25 June 2016 10:39:44 UTC+1, dennis@home wrote:
It looks as though nearly all the youngsters, that is the people that
will be most affected by the referendum, voted to stay in.

Although there doesn't seem to be that many of them does there.

So loads of old codgers have voted on a major issue that has no effect
on them at all and left a mess for the next generation or two.

Maybe my brothers an old codger he told me why the voted to leave.
After being toild because he had worked for 32+ years he had aquired enough saving that because he left work to look after mum after she had a stroke
and is now looking for work again he can't recieved JSA.

And after watcing the program (who knows if it was true) that a Romanian who came he couldn't find work or a place to live for himself goes back home brings his family of wife and 3 kids and gets a 4 bed house within 48 hours.

He also here's of the troubles in France where the French are complaining working longer than a 35 hour week, while Jamie oliver is complin that brits or thos ewe import don;t like working 80-100 hours weeks.

So it would be likely that all that has happened is that the UK will
reapply in a few years time when the old codgers have gone and rejoin at
but with worse terms.

Worse terms for who.

Do you think the Romanian will work for 30 odd years paying in and be happy when we open our boarders to perhaps those from another planet that haven't paid into the earth palanetry fedaration fund.

That is assuming there is a UK and not a little England.

I can just imagine Scotland going independent and then joining the EU
and vetoing England's application.

Imagination is a wonderful thing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 25 Jun 2016 11:24:02 +0100, Tim Streater wrote:

So loads of old codgers have voted on a major issue that has no

effect
on them at all and left a mess for the next generation or two.

Only a **** would talk in these terms, Den. Perhaps you now think you
should have organised all the young people to go round the country last
week bumping off old people. Then they wouldn't have been able to vote,
eh?

The figures show that "the young" overwhelming voted to Remain, "the
old" to Leave.

"The old" harking back to the Great Britain of the 50's and 60's when
we had a strong industrial base, lead the world in research and
technolgy and had the skills base to build those things. All of which
are now a mere shadow of what they were.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sat, 25 Jun 2016 11:24:02 +0100, Tim Streater wrote:

So loads of old codgers have voted on a major issue that has no

effect

on them at all and left a mess for the next generation or two.

Only a **** would talk in these terms, Den. Perhaps you now think you
should have organised all the young people to go round the country last
week bumping off old people. Then they wouldn't have been able to vote,
eh?

The figures show that "the young" overwhelming voted to Remain, "the
old" to Leave.

"The old" harking back to the Great Britain of the 50's and 60's when
we had a strong industrial base, lead the world in research and
technolgy and had the skills base to build those things. All of which
are now a mere shadow of what they were.

Much of the skills base now is in the media industries, which are
global. This is where the growth is coming from. Leaving the EU will
have no effect on this whatsoever. It's rather like the F1 car business,
the UK dominates this because the skills base exist. I don't see the EU
producing many F1 cars. AIUI even Ferrari have their designers from the UK.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo ,
Capitol escribió:

Much of the skills base now is in the media industries

Ah yes, "meeja studies", the default fallback for those too thick or
poorly educated to take a real degree.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) systemd: the Linux version of Windows 10
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el ,
escribió:

Much of the skills base now is in the media industries

Ah yes, "meeja studies", the default fallback for those too thick or
poorly educated to take a real degree.

Don't knock it, its generating massive export sales. I agree it's
not engineering or science, but it is very profitable and unequalled
world wide. It's very similar to the sucess of the Essex currency
dealers in the city, definitely cowboys, but money makers for the banks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo ,
Capitol escribió:

Don't knock it, its generating massive export sales. I agree it's
not engineering or science, but it is very profitable and unequalled
world wide.

I don't doubt it, and I love some of the imaginative stuff the media (in
its various forms) comes out with, but surely there's a limit to the
number of meeja graduates the world can cope with?

If they'd strangle all salesmen, marketers, and spammers at birth the
world would be a better place.

Private Eye's Ad Nauseam is a good place to start.

It's very similar to the sucess of the Essex currency
dealers in the city, definitely cowboys, but money makers for the banks.

Not really a flattering comparison, is it?

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) systemd: the Linux version of Windows 10
(")_(")
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Capitol" wrote in message
o.uk...
Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el ,
escribió:

Much of the skills base now is in the media industries

Ah yes, "meeja studies", the default fallback for those too thick or
poorly educated to take a real degree.

Don't knock it, its generating massive export sales.

It is actually quite a small part of Britain's exports, not even in the top
10 exports.

I agree it's not engineering or science, but it is very profitable

That is very arguable.

and unequalled world wide.

That is a lie compared with the US.

It's very similar to the sucess of the Essex currency dealers in the city,
definitely cowboys, but money makers for the banks.

Not in money terms it isn't.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/06/16 18:53, Capitol wrote:
Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el ,
escribió:

Much of the skills base now is in the media industries

Ah yes, "meeja studies", the default fallback for those too thick or
poorly educated to take a real degree.

Don't knock it, its generating massive export sales.

Meeja studdies isnt generating any exports.

Its training people to go on demonstrations and whine, and live off
their parents, or flip burgers.

I agree it's
not engineering or science, but it is very profitable and unequalled
world wide. It's very similar to the sucess of the Essex currency
dealers in the city, definitely cowboys, but money makers for the banks.

Not sure what you are in fact talking about.

The 'media industry' is subsidised by the EU....

twenty-first centurys developed world went into hysterical panic over a
globally average temperature increase of a few tenths of a degree, and,
on the basis of gross exaggerations of highly uncertain computer
projections combined into implausible chains of inference, proceeded to
contemplate a rollback of the industrial age.

Richard Lindzen
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/06/2016 11:44, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sat, 25 Jun 2016 11:24:02 +0100, Tim Streater wrote:

So loads of old codgers have voted on a major issue that has no

effect
on them at all and left a mess for the next generation or two.

Only a **** would talk in these terms, Den. Perhaps you now think you
should have organised all the young people to go round the country last
week bumping off old people. Then they wouldn't have been able to vote,
eh?

The figures show that "the young" overwhelming voted to Remain, "the
old" to Leave.

"The old" harking back to the Great Britain of the 50's and 60's when
we had a strong industrial base, lead the world in research and
technolgy and had the skills base to build those things. All of which
are now a mere shadow of what they were.

I've yet to see mention of power-cuts this coming winter, says cynical
oldster.
EDF must be rubbing their hands in glee knowing they can now charge what
they like for feeding the sub-manche link with "nuclear" lecky, tenfold
increase over the previous stop-gap premium anyone?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.davidsedgwick.co.uk/blog/...-old-narrative

--
New Socialism consists essentially in being seen to have your heart in
the right place whilst your head is in the clouds and your hand is in