Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Surestop valves and PRVs

Anyone used them and rate them?

http://www.surestop.co.uk/owners/

My parents have a holiday apartment and it's a requirement of the insurance
co that the water is turned off when the place is unoccupied. Looks easier
than shifting all the ****e in the kitchen cupboards to get to the stop tap
everytime someone visits the place.

There is also a PRV needed as the water presure is at 12 Bar. Any reason I
cannot fit this before the water meter? It would make the job a lot easier
if I fitted it before the meter.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/06/2016 19:25, ARW wrote:
Anyone used them and rate them?

http://www.surestop.co.uk/owners/

My parents have a holiday apartment and it's a requirement of the
insurance co that the water is turned off when the place is unoccupied.
Looks easier than shifting all the ****e in the kitchen cupboards to get
to the stop tap everytime someone visits the place.

There is also a PRV needed as the water presure is at 12 Bar. Any reason
I cannot fit this before the water meter? It would make the job a lot
easier if I fitted it before the meter.

The sure stop valves work well, I fitted one for my dad a few years ago.

There is no technical reason a PVR can't go before the meter however
there may be legal reasons but I doubt if anyone will care.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/06/2016 20:25, dennis@home wrote:

There is no technical reason a PVR can't go before the meter however
there may be legal reasons but I doubt if anyone will care.

I can't see a problem if the meter is inside the property line and the
PRV will be too. Ownership of the supply pipe there goes with the
property.

OTOH digging up the pavement to fit the PRV before the meter in the
water company's communication pipe might well be problematical -
especially if there's no apprentice to take the blame

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Robin" wrote in message
On 13/06/2016 20:25, dennis@home wrote:

There is no technical reason a PVR can't go before the meter however
there may be legal reasons but I doubt if anyone will care.

I can't see a problem if the meter is inside the property line and the PRV
will be too. Ownership of the supply pipe there goes with the property.

OTOH digging up the pavement to fit the PRV before the meter in the water
company's communication pipe might well be problematical - especially if
there's no apprentice to take the blame

They have - for some unknown reason - two water meters, One "in the street"
and one in the kitchen cupboard.

There is only one water supply! Every now and again they get an odd bill for
several thound pounds worth of water used when the wrong meter has been
read.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:
"Robin" wrote in message
On 13/06/2016 20:25, dennis@home wrote:

There is no technical reason a PVR can't go before the meter however
there may be legal reasons but I doubt if anyone will care.

I can't see a problem if the meter is inside the property line and the
PRV will be too. Ownership of the supply pipe there goes with the
property.

OTOH digging up the pavement to fit the PRV before the meter in the
water company's communication pipe might well be problematical -
especially if there's no apprentice to take the blame

They have - for some unknown reason - two water meters, One "in the
street" and one in the kitchen cupboard.

There is only one water supply! Every now and again they get an odd bill
for several thound pounds worth of water used when the wrong meter has
been read.

Whenever our water meter is read (in our bathroom), the drone never
inspects anything, just reads the meter, compares it with the prediction
from his hand held thingumyjig and if the deviation is too great he just
enters the same number again. He is not even a waterboard employee but
sports a Siemens logo.
I dont think they would know what a prv is let alone recognise one.
The only possible problem would be if the upstream prv caused a fault.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 13 June 2016 21:17:29 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
They have - for some unknown reason - two water meters, One "in the street"
and one in the kitchen cupboard.
There is only one water supply! Every now and again they get an odd bill for
several thound pounds worth of water used when the wrong meter has been
read.

So take the one in the kitchen cupboard out, ebay it, and put the money towards the now-correct water bills.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/06/16 19:25, ARW wrote:
Anyone used them and rate them?

http://www.surestop.co.uk/owners/

My parents have a holiday apartment and it's a requirement of the
insurance co that the water is turned off when the place is unoccupied.
Looks easier than shifting all the ****e in the kitchen cupboards to get
to the stop tap everytime someone visits the place.

There is also a PRV needed as the water presure is at 12 Bar. Any reason
I cannot fit this before the water meter? It would make the job a lot
easier if I fitted it before the meter.

12 bar? Jeebus... Mine was 7.5 and that was excessive.

Caleffi PRVs are extremely reliable IME (I have one):

http://www.jtmplumbing.co.uk/heating...h-gauge-pp9578

No reason not to fit the PRV before the meter.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 13 June 2016 19:25:28 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
Anyone used them and rate them?

http://www.surestop.co.uk/owners/

My parents have a holiday apartment and it's a requirement of the insurance
co that the water is turned off when the place is unoccupied. Looks easier
than shifting all the ****e in the kitchen cupboards to get to the stop tap
everytime someone visits the place.

There is also a PRV needed as the water presure is at 12 Bar. Any reason I
cannot fit this before the water meter? It would make the job a lot easier
if I fitted it before the meter.

--
Adam

The pipe within the property boundary is yours. Outside is theirs.
Quite often the meter/stopcock is the joining point.
You're not supposed to mess with their pipe.
If the pressure is too high, complain, they might fix it for you for free.
You could lie and say a flood has been caused by the high pressure.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"harry" wrote in message
[...]

I am sure that they would not fall for that!

Main concerns are the combi and electric shower.
--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

wrote in message
On Monday, 13 June 2016 21:17:29 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
They have - for some unknown reason - two water meters, One "in the
street"
and one in the kitchen cupboard.
There is only one water supply! Every now and again they get an odd bill
for
several thound pounds worth of water used when the wrong meter has been
read.

So take the one in the kitchen cupboard out, ebay it, and put the money
towards the now-correct water bills.

The one in the kitchen IS the correct meter!

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/06/2016 19:03, ARW wrote:
wrote in message
On Monday, 13 June 2016 21:17:29 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
They have - for some unknown reason - two water meters, One "in the
street"
and one in the kitchen cupboard.
There is only one water supply! Every now and again they get an odd
bill for
several thound pounds worth of water used when the wrong meter has been
read.

So take the one in the kitchen cupboard out, ebay it, and put the
money towards the now-correct water bills.

The one in the kitchen IS the correct meter!

Paint/tape the wrong one?

stop & waste valves, globe-type valves, and pressure regulator valves mm Home Repair 3 June 25th 10 03:40 AM
Surestop Water Stop Valve John UK diy 4 November 12th 08 11:40 PM
surestop water switch Fred UK diy 3 July 13th 08 10:00 AM
Surestop The Medway Handyman UK diy 15 May 30th 08 10:38 PM
Surestop water switches - your verdict? [email protected] UK diy 9 April 14th 06 03:20 PM