Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default stop & waste valves, globe-type valves, and pressure regulator valves

I'm considering installing a water-powered sump pump, and the
instructions include:

Pipeline restrictions
Pump should be teed-in before any devices that restrict water flow.
Examples of such devices a stop & waste valves, globe-type valves,
Pressure Regulator Valves (PRV), water conditioners, filters, etc. ...
Zone (RPZ) devices may reduce pumping rates significantly

What does it mean by stop & waste valves, globe-type valves, and
pressure regulator valves? Do I have them?

All I have between the street and where I plan to connect it are
1) an standard shut-off valve which is fully open.
2) a pressure-regulator, I think it is, but not afaik a pressure
regulator *valve*. I haven't seen this thing since I moved in 27
years ago and put a wardrobe in front of it, but it was small, only a
few inches from where the water pipe comes in the foundation wall, and
I think every home in the area has one, not to lower the pressure
below spec, but to keep it from going above spec.

The water flow is over 10 GPM, measured at a garden faucet. Doesn't
that imply that there aren't debilitating pipeline restrictions?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 24, 3:57*pm, mm wrote:
[...]

What are the minimum flow and pressure requirements for it? What is
your pressure at the garden faucet when it’s putting out 10GPM?
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 16:50:11 -0700 (PDT), Molly Brown
wrote:

On Jun 24, 3:57*pm, mm wrote:
[...]

The minimum flow requirement is 10 GPM. Their suggestion was to
fill a five gallon bucket and see if it did so in 30 seconds. It did,
or maybe a little less. I can repeat this test if for an exact number
if it will help.

The minimum pressure requirement is 40 PSI Some years ago, I called
the he water company or found on their webpage that their nominal
pressure was 40 PSI or more. I don't remember the number, but I can
check on that again too.

The neighborhood is 31 years old, and my house has copper pipes. They
don't approve of iron pipes because they rust, get narrower, and the
rust can come off and mess up their pump.

r 410-396-5352.
Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:
[...]

Stop and waste and globe valves are valves that restrict the flow of
product in the line. The pressure regulator is indeed a valve, but if
you have enough pressure after it, you should be ok. Your "standard
shut off valve" will be either a gate or a ball valve.

I believe the pressure regulator valves that your instructions are
warning against are a different type of valve (I use them often in
industrial applications). You would not want them because they also
restrict the flow in your line.

You should be just fine.