Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bosch pressure washer spitting the hose off.

Hello all.

Just bought a Bosch pressure washer to replace the 20 year old Wickes one
that finally bit the dust.

The hose pipe has the "safety" connection that closes when there's nothing
connected. I switch the machine on and all well, until I release the
trigger, when the hose connector pops off the machine.

Anyone know if this is normal? Or should I take it back? Or just change the
hose fitting?

--

Paul.
https://paulc.es
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6/11/2016 1:11 PM, Paul wrote:
Hello all.

Just bought a Bosch pressure washer to replace the 20 year old Wickes one
that finally bit the dust.

The hose pipe has the "safety" connection that closes when there's nothing
connected. I switch the machine on and all well, until I release the
trigger, when the hose connector pops off the machine.

Anyone know if this is normal? Or should I take it back? Or just change the
hose fitting?

I'm a bit confused. Every pressure washer I have seen has had a threaded
connector between the pressure hose and the machine. What you are
describing sounds like a feature of some hozelock couplings which are
only rated for domestic water (about 3 bar).

Take it back.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Paul wrote:

The hose pipe has the "safety" connection that closes when there's nothing
connected. I switch the machine on and all well, until I release the
trigger, when the hose connector pops off the machine.

My Nilfisk specifically recommended not using the "waterstop" type hose
connector onto the pressure washer ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:

I'm a bit confused. Every pressure washer I have seen has had a threaded
connector between the pressure hose and the machine. What you are
describing sounds like a feature of some hozelock couplings which are
only rated for domestic water

I presumed he was talking about the mains inlet to the P/W ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Paul wrote:

The hose pipe has the "safety" connection that closes when there's nothing
connected. I switch the machine on and all well, until I release the
trigger, when the hose connector pops off the machine.

My Nilfisk specifically recommended not using the "waterstop" type hose
connector onto the pressure washer ...

I imagine that's just because of potential flow restriction, I can't see it
affecting the connector "grip".

To the OP, I'd just try a different hosepipe fitting, preferably without
the waterstop feature.

Tim

--
Trolls and troll feeders go in my killfile

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:

I imagine that's just because of potential flow restriction,

They don't have a particularly high flow rate.

I can't see it affecting the connector "grip".

I imagine it's the rapid shut off (solenoid valve?) of the P/W when
releasing the trigger that causes the inlet to blow off.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

newshound wrote:

I'm a bit confused. Every pressure washer I have seen has had a threaded
connector between the pressure hose and the machine. What you are
describing sounds like a feature of some hozelock couplings which are
only rated for domestic water

I presumed he was talking about the mains inlet to the P/W ...

Well, yes. Hence "hose pipe".

--

Paul.
https://paulc.es
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:
Paul wrote:

The hose pipe has the "safety" connection that closes when there's
nothing connected. I switch the machine on and all well, until I release
the trigger, when the hose connector pops off the machine.

My Nilfisk specifically recommended not using the "waterstop" type hose
connector onto the pressure washer ...

I imagine that's just because of potential flow restriction, I can't see
it affecting the connector "grip".

To the OP, I'd just try a different hosepipe fitting, preferably without
the waterstop feature.

Will try that, thanks. Can't find one right now, and shops all shut until
Monday.

--

Paul.
https://paulc.es
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Tim+ wrote:

I imagine that's just because of potential flow restriction,

They don't have a particularly high flow rate.

If your mains pressure isn't great an auto stop valve on the end may be
just the straw that breaks the camel's back.

I can't see it affecting the connector "grip".

I imagine it's the rapid shut off (solenoid valve?) of the P/W when
releasing the trigger that causes the inlet to blow off.

Well yes, but please share your theory as to why an auto-stop hose
connector blows off more easily than a standard one.

Tim

--
Trolls and troll feeders go in my killfile
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:

please share your theory as to why an auto-stop hose
connector blows off more easily than a standard one.

With a standard connector, the sudden back pressure when turning off can
be absorbed by the full length of the hose pipe.

With a waterstop connector the back-pressure is all between the valve
inside the pressure washer and the hose connector, probably on rigid
pipework, so is exerted directly onto the connector ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Tim+ wrote:

please share your theory as to why an auto-stop hose
connector blows off more easily than a standard one.

With a standard connector, the sudden back pressure when turning off can
be absorbed by the full length of the hose pipe.

As it can with an waterstop.

With a waterstop connector the back-pressure is all between the valve
inside the pressure washer and the hose connector, probably on rigid
pipework, so is exerted directly onto the connector ...

Wrong. A waterstop valve only occluded the pipe when it is physically
disconnected.

As long as it is connected, there is continuity.

Tim

--
Trolls and troll feeders go in my killfile
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:

A waterstop valve only occluded the pipe when it is physically
disconnected. As long as it is connected, there is continuity.

Fair enough, I thought it acted as a form of non-return valve too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 11 June 2016 13:43:18 UTC+1, newshound wrote:
On 6/11/2016 1:11 PM, Paul wrote:
Hello all.

Just bought a Bosch pressure washer to replace the 20 year old Wickes one
that finally bit the dust.

The hose pipe has the "safety" connection that closes when there's nothing
connected. I switch the machine on and all well, until I release the
trigger, when the hose connector pops off the machine.

Anyone know if this is normal? Or should I take it back? Or just change the
hose fitting?

I'm a bit confused. Every pressure washer I have seen has had a threaded
connector between the pressure hose and the machine. What you are
describing sounds like a feature of some hozelock couplings which are
only rated for domestic water (about 3 bar).

Take it back.

Mine has a hozelock connector. Male part)

Try changing the hozelock bit on your hosepipe before taking it back.
The female bit most commonly goes wrong.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/06/2016 14:24, Andy Burns wrote:
Tim+ wrote:

I imagine that's just because of potential flow restriction,

They don't have a particularly high flow rate.

I can't see it affecting the connector "grip".

I imagine it's the rapid shut off (solenoid valve?) of the P/W when
releasing the trigger that causes the inlet to blow off.

They use a pressure switch rather than a solenoid.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/06/2016 14:18, Tim+ wrote:
Andy Burns wrote:
Paul wrote:

The hose pipe has the "safety" connection that closes when there's nothing
connected. I switch the machine on and all well, until I release the
trigger, when the hose connector pops off the machine.

My Nilfisk specifically recommended not using the "waterstop" type hose
connector onto the pressure washer ...

I imagine that's just because of potential flow restriction, I can't see it
affecting the connector "grip".

To the OP, I'd just try a different hosepipe fitting, preferably without
the waterstop feature.

The problem with the waterstop is a spring loaded N/R valve. Since the
pump sucks it forces the valve shut & stops the flow.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/06/2016 14:51, Paul wrote:
Tim+ wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:
Paul wrote:

The hose pipe has the "safety" connection that closes when there's
nothing connected. I switch the machine on and all well, until I release
the trigger, when the hose connector pops off the machine.

My Nilfisk specifically recommended not using the "waterstop" type hose
connector onto the pressure washer ...

I imagine that's just because of potential flow restriction, I can't see
it affecting the connector "grip".

To the OP, I'd just try a different hosepipe fitting, preferably without
the waterstop feature.

Will try that, thanks. Can't find one right now, and shops all shut until
Monday.

Easy enough to convert it. Take it apart & remove the disc & spring.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I imagine that's just because of potential flow restriction, I can't
see it affecting the connector "grip".

To the OP, I'd just try a different hosepipe fitting, preferably
without the waterstop feature.

The problem with the waterstop is a spring loaded N/R valve. Since
the pump sucks it forces the valve shut & stops the flow.

I don't think so Dave, The Water Stop is held open by the male part pushing
it off the seal face.

The OP probably just has a worn out or imitation Hoselock fitting. I had
some Aldo ones once that were not very good when used with a proper
hoselock although okay with each other.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Lang wrote:
On 11/06/2016 14:18, Tim+ wrote:
Andy Burns wrote:
Paul wrote:

The hose pipe has the "safety" connection that closes when there's nothing
connected. I switch the machine on and all well, until I release the
trigger, when the hose connector pops off the machine.

My Nilfisk specifically recommended not using the "waterstop" type hose
connector onto the pressure washer ...

I imagine that's just because of potential flow restriction, I can't see it
affecting the connector "grip".

To the OP, I'd just try a different hosepipe fitting, preferably without
the waterstop feature.

The problem with the waterstop is a spring loaded N/R valve.

Sorry Dave, but as I've explained, this is exactly what a waterstop valve
*isn't*.

My waterstop valves are neither spring loaded or non-return.

In normal use water flow will try to close the valve but if the hose is
connected to a male connector the male part holds the valve open. It cannot
close in this circumstance, even if suction is applied. It will introduce
some flow restriction though compared to a non-waterstop valve which is I
think the main reason for not using one with a pressure washer.

Tim

--
Trolls and troll feeders go in my killfile
Posted to uk.d-i-y

But that sounds a bit counter intuitive as in effect its sucking at that
point so how can this produce the opposite effect one wonders unless its
faulty.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Paul" wrote in message
Andy Burns wrote:

newshound wrote:

I'm a bit confused. Every pressure washer I have seen has had a threaded
connector between the pressure hose and the machine. What you are
describing sounds like a feature of some hozelock couplings which are
only rated for domestic water

I presumed he was talking about the mains inlet to the P/W ...

Well, yes. Hence "hose pipe".

--

Paul.
https://paulc.es

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote:

The OP probably just has a worn out or imitation Hoselock fitting. I had
some Aldo ones once that were not very good when used with a proper
hoselock although okay with each other.

I swapped it for another which works just fine.

--

Paul.
https://paulc.es

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Lang wrote:

On 11/06/2016 14:51, Paul wrote:
Tim+ wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:
Paul wrote:

The hose pipe has the "safety" connection that closes when there's
nothing connected. I switch the machine on and all well, until I
release the trigger, when the hose connector pops off the machine.

My Nilfisk specifically recommended not using the "waterstop" type hose
connector onto the pressure washer ...

I imagine that's just because of potential flow restriction, I can't see
it affecting the connector "grip".

To the OP, I'd just try a different hosepipe fitting, preferably without
the waterstop feature.

Will try that, thanks. Can't find one right now, and shops all shut until
Monday.

Easy enough to convert it. Take it apart & remove the disc & spring.

No need. Fitted another with gismo and it works ok.

--

Paul.
https://paulc.es
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Paul wrote:
DerbyBorn wrote:

The OP probably just has a worn out or imitation Hoselock fitting. I
had some Aldo ones once that were not very good when used with a
proper hoselock although okay with each other.

I swapped it for another which works just fine.

Yes. I have a box of these things, some work fine, some drip and some just
fall of the fitting.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 12 Jun 2016 18:52:51 +0100, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

Paul wrote:
DerbyBorn wrote:

The OP probably just has a worn out or imitation Hoselock fitting. I
had some Aldo ones once that were not very good when used with a
proper hoselock although okay with each other.

I swapped it for another which works just fine.

Yes. I have a box of these things, some work fine, some drip and some just
fall of the fitting.

You have a dripping cock?

--
Why do I have to wear a shirt and tie to go in a bar to see a topless dancer?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/06/2016 09:28, Tim+ wrote:
David Lang wrote:
On 11/06/2016 14:18, Tim+ wrote:
Andy Burns wrote:
Paul wrote:

[...]

I had trouble with a Hozelock branded fitting.
The swivelling of the spray head had worn the moving bit down and then
it didn't stay open when you plugged it in. Cheap plastic inside an
alloy shell that I won't recommend.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 11 June 2016 13:11:36 UTC+1, Paul wrote:
Hello all.

Just bought a Bosch pressure washer to replace the 20 year old Wickes one
that finally bit the dust.

The hose pipe has the "safety" connection that closes when there's nothing
connected. I switch the machine on and all well, until I release the
trigger, when the hose connector pops off the machine.

Anyone know if this is normal? Or should I take it back? Or just change the
hose fitting?

--

Paul.
https://paulc.es

hi paul
got the same problem on my bosch works ok on standard connection but spits the valve type connection off does the same on titan pressure washer

used a male to male connector and a small extension hose using standard valves
No more problems
wanted to keep the valve connector on my garden hose reel
seems to me it is the design of the male connection on the newer pressure washers that is the problem ?? [retired engineer ]

Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMH TMH is offline

On 23/04/2019 22:36, wrote:
[...]

Inlet hose or outlet?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

TMH wrote:

The waterstop connector is causing the problem

I realise that, the P/W instructions do recommend against using one.

replace it or remove the disc & spring.

But I like having the waterstop end so I can switch from P/W to rinsing
with a hoze nozzle without going back to turn off at the tap, and with
care when connecting, it's rarely a problem.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, April 24, 2019 at 11:56:31 AM UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
TMH wrote:

The waterstop connector is causing the problem

I realise that, the P/W instructions do recommend against using one.

replace it or remove the disc & spring.

But I like having the waterstop end so I can switch from P/W to rinsing
with a hoze nozzle without going back to turn off at the tap, and with
care when connecting, it's rarely a problem.

I just fold my hose to stop the water if I want to change an attachment. I find the waterstop valves too restrictive.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 24 Apr 2019 11:56:27 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

But I like having the waterstop end so I can switch from P/W to rinsing
with a hoze nozzle without going back to turn off at the tap, and with
care when connecting, it's rarely a problem.

Just saying- there's quick-connect things without waterstop but a full-bore ball
valve instead.

Googling says it's a "Hose Connector with Control Valve".

Thomas Prufer