Tim Fischer

Default Pressure Washer Hose Repair

I have a relatively cheap ($150) Karcher electric pressure washer. Last
time I used it, somehow the threads on teh plastic nut that holds the
high-pressure hose onto the machine itself got stripped out (insert curses
to Karcher for using a plastic nut on such a high-impact part...)

Anyway, it seems that a replacement hose is $55, which seems like a bit too
much to invest in a 5-year old washer of its price range.

On the other hand, it's only the nut that's bad, not the hose. It actually
seems like a huge waste to replace the entire hose just for the nut. If
this were a garden hose, you'd cut it and put a new end on it.

So finally my question: Is it practical to have a high-pressure hose
repaired? I'd need to have someone cut the hose, replace the nut (which
seems to be a standard size), and put a new end on it (not sure if its
standard, but it probably is). What type of place would do this kind of
work? Would places that make custom hydrolic hoses be of any help?

Just hoping to see how reasonable this is before I go calling around and
make a fool of myself, lol.

-Tim

twfsa

Alot of forklift dealers make there own hoses, check in the yellow pages for
a company that sells hydraulic fittings, here where I live there's a company
Precision Industries there nation wide, if there in your area they may be
able to help. What your looking for is what they call a re-useable fitting.

Tom

"Tim Fischer" wrote in message
[...]

el Diablo

Tim Fischer wrote:
[...]

Hydraulic hose and high pressure hose used on pressure washers can have the
same ID but will have a different OD. The fittings for a hydraulic hose
won't crimp correctly on the pressure washer hose.

Brian

Pop

But check what they're using for parts! The idiots in town here
were trying to sell me air hose parts, and even "guaranteed" me
they'd work "perfectly". Even when I told him this is for a
3,000 psi pressure washer and then pointed out the "300 psi max"
on the package, the idiot still said "sure, it'll work just
fine".
I asked to see the manager. He WAS the manager! So much for
going to the NAPA store again. There's a good competitor 2
blocks away.

HTH,
PopS

""__ Bøb __"" wrote in message
: Check around and look for a full-service auto parts store that
makes
: custom hydraulic lines. They will cut back a few inches, and
install a
: new fitting for a few bucks.
:
:
: Tim Fischer wrote:
[...]

Pop

Unless you can find a place familiar with DeVillbuis(sp?) and
such I don't think you'll be able to get a legit repair. Make
certain it's a place that services pressure washers. Make sure
the place knows what they're doing and how to handle any repair
or you could get a surprise while you're using your washer. A
broken hose tends to flail around with great gusto.

HTH,
PopS

[...]

Colbyt

"Tim Fischer" wrote in message
:I have a relatively cheap ($150) Karcher electric pressure
washer. Last
: time I used it, somehow the threads on teh plastic nut that
holds the
: high-pressure hose onto the machine itself got stripped out
(insert curses
: to Karcher for using a plastic nut on such a high-impact
part...)
:
: Anyway, it seems that a replacement hose is $55, which seems
like a bit too
: much to invest in a 5-year old washer of its price range.

A new hose or hose/wand combo can be purchased on EBAY for a lot less than
$55. Several dealers sell them. One of the better sellers has Midwest in
their name. I can look up the actual name if you are really interested as I
bought from them.

--
Colbyt
One picture can be worth a 1000 words.

Your particular hose I have seen go for as low as $10 and $7 shipping. I
can't recall the

Pop

Yes they do, but I used the 3,000 because that's what the present
hoses are rated for: The machine claims 2,600 psi at full
factory throttle. The hoses aren't regular hoses though; they're
rubber of some kind, but also have steel bands & strands in side
them. One of the extension hoses I bought has a braided steel
outer cover, sort of a chinese finger-trap looking weave. I've
never cut one so I'm not sure exactly how they're made. The
hoses are pretty stiff and hard to coil for storage; and take
awhile to get the "coil" out of them when you start using them.
2,250, 2,450 and 2,600 seem to be the most common ratings I've
noticed in this area. VeVilbis is somehow always in the picture
too as having made some part of other.
There are more powerful ones but they're a lot more expensive,
and take more expertise to use. They can be dangerous, so it's
well worth reading the manuals before purchasing one.

PopS

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in
message
: Pop wrote:
: But check what they're using for parts! The idiots in town
here
: were trying to sell me air hose parts, and even "guaranteed"
me
: they'd work "perfectly". Even when I told him this is for a
: 3,000 psi pressure washer and then pointed out the "300 psi
max"
: on the package, the idiot still said "sure, it'll work just
: fine".
: I asked to see the manager. He WAS the manager! So much
for
: going to the NAPA store again. There's a good competitor 2
: blocks away.
:
: HTH,
: PopS
:
: ""__ Bøb __"" wrote in message
: ...
: : Check around and look for a full-service auto parts store
that
: makes
: : custom hydraulic lines. They will cut back a few inches,
and
: install a
: : new fitting for a few bucks.
: :
: :
: : Tim Fischer wrote:
[...]

Tim Fischer

"Colbyt" wrote in message
A new hose or hose/wand combo can be purchased on EBAY for a lot less than
$55. Several dealers sell them. One of the better sellers has Midwest in
their name. I can look up the actual name if you are really interested as
bought from them.

Unfortunately, it doesn't take a standard hose -- you have to take the gun
apart to get the other end of the hose apart, and it has a non-standard
fitting.. There's a dealer on eBay from the UK that can sell me one, but it
was going to be almost as expensive, not including the shipping from the UK
which made it worse.

Every once in awhile, a used part will appear on eBay, but they seem to go
for almost as high and are rare enough to be hard to attain...

But if you think you know of a dealer that can sell me a part cheaper, I'd
be interested.

-Tim