Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Now what to do with radiator pipes?

We're redecorating the front room, and it's now pretty much gutted.
It's time to think about what to do with the radiator pipes; try to hide
them, or just buy new trunking and tack them to the skirting boards
again. I know the professionals manage to hide them in the wall
somehow, but I can't see how just plastering over them is going to work
when they expand. The horizontal bits, I can hide behind the new
skirtng board; but what about the bits that come down the wall in the
corner? Can they be covered over with expanding foam and then smoothed
over with filler, or (more likely) is there some really clever way that
I haven't thought of yet?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/06/2016 15:05, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
We're redecorating the front room, and it's now pretty much gutted. It's
time to think about what to do with the radiator pipes; try to hide
them, or just buy new trunking and tack them to the skirting boards
again. I know the professionals manage to hide them in the wall
somehow, but I can't see how just plastering over them is going to work
when they expand. The horizontal bits, I can hide behind the new
skirtng board; but what about the bits that come down the wall in the
corner? Can they be covered over with expanding foam and then smoothed
over with filler, or (more likely) is there some really clever way that
I haven't thought of yet?

Use bendy plastic 10mm pipe routed behind the skirting board, and join
to the rad using a push fit elbow. Done it on 4 rads now, and seems to
work very well.

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
We're redecorating the front room, and it's now pretty much gutted.
It's time to think about what to do with the radiator pipes; try to
hide them, or just buy new trunking and tack them to the skirting
boards again. I know the professionals manage to hide them in the
wall somehow, but I can't see how just plastering over them is going
to work when they expand. The horizontal bits, I can hide behind the
new skirtng board; but what about the bits that come down the wall in
the corner? Can they be covered over with expanding foam and then
smoothed over with filler, or (more likely) is there some really
clever way that I haven't thought of yet?

Cut the plaster out behind the pipes and hack out a channel of brick/block
to form a recess for them all the way down, cover with duct tape, several
layers preferably, then use drylining adhesive and plasterboard, skim and
paint.

The pipes can expand and contract in the gap under the tape, the tape is
also to protect them from alkalis

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 10 June 2016 17:03:50 UTC+1, Phil L wrote:
I know the professionals manage to hide them in the
wall somehow, but I can't see how just plastering over them is going
to work when they expand.

They often cover them in felt insulation, then plaster. This insulates
a bit and allows some movement.

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 10 June 2016 15:05:15 UTC+1, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
We're redecorating the front room, and it's now pretty much gutted.
It's time to think about what to do with the radiator pipes; try to hide
them, or just buy new trunking and tack them to the skirting boards
again. I know the professionals manage to hide them in the wall
somehow, but I can't see how just plastering over them is going to work
when they expand. The horizontal bits, I can hide behind the new
skirtng board; but what about the bits that come down the wall in the
corner? Can they be covered over with expanding foam and then smoothed
over with filler, or (more likely) is there some really clever way that
I haven't thought of yet?

How about buying scrap copper and making decorative plates from it by beating it into something more artistic than tubing and using it to both cover the pipe and add to its radiance?

What the nitwits on here have suggested so far reminds me of them buying a dog and kicking its teeth out to stop it barking. But don't let them put you off.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Weatherlawyer wrote:

How about buying scrap copper and making decorative plates from it by
beating it into something more artistic than tubing and using it to
both cover the pipe and add to its radiance?

Yeah, a piece of smashed up copper plate running down the living room wall
will look fantastic, I suppose that's why it's so popular

What the nitwits on here have suggested so far reminds me of them
buying a dog and kicking its teeth out to stop it barking. But don't
let them put you off.

Typical bull**** from someone who has never had a clue about anything, as
proven above

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 11 June 2016 12:10:55 UTC+1, Phil L wrote:
Weatherlawyer wrote:

How about buying scrap copper and making decorative plates from it by
beating it into something more artistic than tubing and using it to
both cover the pipe and add to its radiance?

Yeah, a piece of smashed up copper plate running down the living room wall
will look fantastic, I suppose that's why it's so popular

What the nitwits on here have suggested so far reminds me of them
buying a dog and kicking its teeth out to stop it barking. But don't
let them put you off.

Typical bull**** from someone who has never had a clue about anything, as
proven above

Is there something about being a nitwit that you particularly enjoy or is the whole ethos appealing?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Weatherlawyer wrote:

How about buying scrap copper and making decorative plates from it
by beating it into something more artistic than tubing and using it
to both cover the pipe and add to its radiance?

Yeah, a piece of smashed up copper plate running down the living
room wall will look fantastic, I suppose that's why it's so popular

What the nitwits on here have suggested so far reminds me of them
buying a dog and kicking its teeth out to stop it barking. But don't
let them put you off.

Typical bull**** from someone who has never had a clue about
anything, as proven above

Is there something about being a nitwit that you particularly enjoy
or is the whole ethos appealing?

He wants to hide the pipes so that it's a clean, flat wall, your suggestion
of nailing lumps of scrap metal to it bears all the hallmarks of someone who
is losing their marbles. If he's not happy to have pipes on view, why would
he possibly be happy having jagged scrap metal sticking out all over the
place?

Do answer, so many people are waiting to see what brilliant idea you come up
with next, how about simply wallpapering over the pipes, that's quite
popular with people of your limited intelligence.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

RJH wrote:
[...]

That's an interesting idea. What sort of connectors do you use at the
radiator end? I know you said push-fit, but I don't think I've ever
seen push-fit radiator taps. Or do you join to a stub of copper?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:
Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
[...]

Okay, thanks. So just find a way of keeping the plaster from directly
contacting the plaster.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Weatherlawyer wrote:
[...]

Have you tried this yourself? It sounds interesting, and I'm sure there
are lots of other interesting ways of covering it. It probably needs
someone a bit more artistic (and a bit less OCD) than myself, though. I
generally shy away from making features of walls and fitments,
preferring to go for a matt white box.

What the nitwits on here have suggested so far reminds me of them buying a dog and kicking its teeth out to stop it barking. But don't let them put you off.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/06/2016 11:02, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
RJH wrote:
[...]

http://www.grahamplumbersmerchant.co...m-chrome-pk-2/

Altech Angled Push-Fit Waste Elbow 15x10mm Chrome

Then, join the 10mm speedfit pipe (use the super bendy stuff) to the
existing plumbing with 15mm-10mm pushfit connectors.

It does cost about £10 per rad, so there's that.

Making the hole behind the skirting was my first problem, and I faffed
about for a couple of hours before just using an SDS and bloody great
masonry bit. Just avoid the joists.

And routing the pipe takes a bit of thinking about, but the mess such as
it is is obscured by the radiator - so there's no need to make good
plaster perfect.

It all looked quite unlikely - the 10mm pipe doesn't look up to it and I
wasn't sure if the narrowed bore would put more strain on the pump. But
having seen a large house recently fitted with this system I was
impressed by how good it looks. And the rads heat up at least as
quickly, and get just as hot.

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 12 June 2016 11:08:25 UTC+1, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
Weatherlawyer wrote:
[...]

I might be tempted to kick the teeth out of few of the turnips on here but I am too old to go back inside. So I'd have to be more careful.

One of the turnips on here thinks that you want to hide the pipes so that it's a clean, flat wall You never even mentioned that as far as I recall. My suggestion just took in every consideration, I am not thinking of doing it myself but It wouldn't be a bad idea if you had the time and money. Putting heating pipes in a wall is self defeating since the idea is for the heat to be put into the room.

But a lot of people consider anything unusual to be criminal.

If you treat it as decorative you don't have to make it expensive or elaborate all you have to do is buy scraps of larger tububing and either paint it or laquer it and just hang it over the existing pipework where it will act as a miniature radiator.

It shouldn't be beyond the bounds of a really small pimple-brain such as Phil L to work out how to do it. Although the idea of him getting up to soemthing really impractical like nailing it in place would be funny:

...nailing lumps of scrap metal to it bears all the hallmarks of someone who

is losing their marbles. If he's not happy to have pipes on view, why would
he possibly be happy having jagged scrap metal sticking out all over the
place?

But I dare say someone on here could come up with how he would be better off doing it, should he ever climb down out of his tree. I don't think I shall bother enlightening him until he has a go and gives up with a plea for help. It's just too good to chew on.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Weatherlawyer wrote:
[...]

OK.

One of the turnips on here thinks that you want to hide the pipes so that it's a clean, flat wall You never even mentioned that as far as I recall. My suggestion just took in every consideration, I am not thinking of doing it myself but It wouldn't be a bad idea if you had the time and money. Putting heating pipes in a wall is self defeating since the idea is for the heat to be put into the room.

I took 'hide' to mean remove from view. Just an option - I've not doubt
you think yours is better. Any pics at all?

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
Weatherlawyer wrote:
[...]

The fella's an imbecile.

If you want to hide the pipes in the wall as you mentioned in your OP, you
have to take the plaster off and bury the pipes, they need room for
expansion, hence the tape or fibreglass insulation, then covering over with
either plaster or plasterboard.

Covering with scrap metal or buying even larger pipes to cover the smaller
pipes as suggested in his latest dementia-induced fit is a waste of time and
money if you are trying to conceal the pipes in the first place

Posted to uk.d-i-y

RJH wrote:

I took 'hide' to mean remove from view. Just an option - I've not
doubt you think yours is better. Any pics at all?

He's not quite finished this one, it needs a bit more work with the
sledgehammer then it'll be a masterpiece

http://tiny.cc/4j95by

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/06/2016 15:05, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
We're redecorating the front room, and it's now pretty much gutted. It's
time to think about what to do with the radiator pipes; try to hide
them, or just buy new trunking and tack them to the skirting boards
again. I know the professionals manage to hide them in the wall
somehow, but I can't see how just plastering over them is going to work
when they expand. The horizontal bits, I can hide behind the new
skirtng board; but what about the bits that come down the wall in the
corner? Can they be covered over with expanding foam and then smoothed
over with filler, or (more likely) is there some really clever way that
I haven't thought of yet?

Dunno if anyone's mentioned it but that corrugated cable-tidy
pipe/conduit stuff should work.
I've just used it over all the 16mm aluplex(?) pipes from my underfloor
heating where they leave the screed to go up to the manifold (not yet
screeded in though). Because it's split longitudinally you can just
clip it over the pipes.
Don't know whether you might want to PVA it prior to plastering to give
the plaster a bit of a fighting chance at hanging on, I would but I'm
sure other more clued up folks will advise on that one.

Cheers
Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 13 June 2016 00:01:40 UTC+1, Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:
[...]

Aren't pipe clips wonderful?

Just amazing how some are just the right size isn't it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

RJH wrote:
[...]

Okay, thanks. I like the sound of this. Whoever plastered our walls
left a three inch gap where the skirting boards go, so there is already
a channel there to hide them in. I just need to make a vertical one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:
Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
Weatherlawyer wrote:
[...]

Yes, I have noticed in newer houses that the heating pipes just seem to
come straight out of the wall; compared to my own, where they are just
an unsightly mess. I was just wondering how it was done, and if it was
something I could realistically do myself. It sounds like I can.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:
[...]

Okay, thanks. I was wondering if the existing trunking would be shallow
enough to do something like this, too; but it probably wouldn't allow a
thick enough depth of plaster. This sort of conduit might.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 13 June 2016 10:52:20 UTC+1, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
Phil L wrote:
Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
Weatherlawyer wrote:
[...]

Anyone can make an unsightly mess even me. I got the impression you were less easily pleased.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:
Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
Weatherlawyer wrote:
[...]

Okay, I may be exaggerating when I say 'unsightly mess' :-) They just
look like an afterthought; which, of course, they are. The house is
just old enough to be from the time when CH was not fitted as standard;
so the floorboards are a mess, and there is pipe and trunking nailed to
the walls and skirting board. I've lived with them for long enough, and
now I'd rather not have them so noticeable, now that I have the
opportunity to do something about it.