Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dan S. MacAbre[_4_] Dan S. MacAbre[_4_] is offline

Default Now what to do with radiator pipes?

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:
On 10/06/2016 15:05, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
We're redecorating the front room, and it's now pretty much gutted. It's
time to think about what to do with the radiator pipes; try to hide
them, or just buy new trunking and tack them to the skirting boards
again. I know the professionals manage to hide them in the wall
somehow, but I can't see how just plastering over them is going to work
when they expand. The horizontal bits, I can hide behind the new
skirtng board; but what about the bits that come down the wall in the
corner? Can they be covered over with expanding foam and then smoothed
over with filler, or (more likely) is there some really clever way that
I haven't thought of yet?

Dunno if anyone's mentioned it but that corrugated cable-tidy
pipe/conduit stuff should work.
I've just used it over all the 16mm aluplex(?) pipes from my underfloor
heating where they leave the screed to go up to the manifold (not yet
screeded in though). Because it's split longitudinally you can just
clip it over the pipes.
Don't know whether you might want to PVA it prior to plastering to give
the plaster a bit of a fighting chance at hanging on, I would but I'm
sure other more clued up folks will advise on that one.

Cheers
Pete

Okay, thanks. I was wondering if the existing trunking would be shallow
enough to do something like this, too; but it probably wouldn't allow a
thick enough depth of plaster. This sort of conduit might.