Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default embedding radiator pipes

Hi, As mentioned in the post header, is it okay to bury the pipes in
plaster? I wrapped some aluminium foil round the 10mm pipes after moving
some radiators and buried them. It seems ok. Some parts couldnl't be
wrapped in the alu though and are just touching the plaster. Ok to do this?
Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Keyser Sose" wrote in message
Hi, As mentioned in the post header, is it okay to bury the pipes in
plaster? I wrapped some aluminium foil round the 10mm pipes after moving
some radiators and buried them. It seems ok. Some parts couldnl't be
wrapped in the alu though and are just touching the plaster. Ok to do
this?

Plaster does not attack copper. However you may wish to consider the affects
of expansion/contraction if the section is long, say 1m

--
Mike W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 25, 6:22 pm, "Keyser Sose" wrote:
Hi, As mentioned in the post header, is it okay to bury the pipes in
plaster? I wrapped some aluminium foil round the 10mm pipes after moving
some radiators and buried them. It seems ok. Some parts couldnl't be
wrapped in the alu though and are just touching the plaster. Ok to do this?
Steve

A bit of this;

inside a bit of this;

The old technique used to be to wrap the pipe with Denso tape with a
50% overlap, so there was a double thickness.

Aluminium foil in plaster will start electrolytic corrosion; it's the
foil that will be corroded, I think (can't be bothered to look it up).
You shouldn't embed pipes in an external wall, they'll freeze and the
heat loss to outside will be huge. You didn't say it was an external
wall, but rads are usually on external walls.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Aidan wrote:
[...]

Mine are on external walls, but obviously on the inner side of a
cavity, on the extension there is 50mm of kingspan in the cavity, the
rest of the house is soon to have cavity wall insulation. I cant see a
problem if the pipes are in an "external" part of the house, the inner
leaf wouldnt freeze.