Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L Phil L is offline

Default Now what to do with radiator pipes?

Weatherlawyer wrote:
On Sunday, 12 June 2016 11:08:25 UTC+1, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
Weatherlawyer wrote:
On Friday, 10 June 2016 15:05:15 UTC+1, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
We're redecorating the front room, and it's now pretty much gutted.
It's time to think about what to do with the radiator pipes; try
to hide them, or just buy new trunking and tack them to the
skirting boards again. I know the professionals manage to hide
them in the wall somehow, but I can't see how just plastering over
them is going to work when they expand. The horizontal bits, I
can hide behind the new skirtng board; but what about the bits
that come down the wall in the corner? Can they be covered over
with expanding foam and then smoothed over with filler, or (more
likely) is there some really clever way that I haven't thought of
yet?

How about buying scrap copper and making decorative plates from it
by beating it into something more artistic than tubing and using it
to both cover the pipe and add to its radiance?

Have you tried this yourself? It sounds interesting, and I'm sure
there are lots of other interesting ways of covering it. It
probably needs someone a bit more artistic (and a bit less OCD) than
myself, though. I generally shy away from making features of walls
and fitments,
preferring to go for a matt white box.

What the nitwits on here have suggested so far reminds me of them
buying a dog and kicking its teeth out to stop it barking. But
don't let them put you off.

I might be tempted to kick the teeth out of few of the turnips on
here but I am too old to go back inside. So I'd have to be more
careful.

One of the turnips on here thinks that you want to hide the pipes so
that it's a clean, flat wall You never even mentioned that as far as
I recall. My suggestion just took in every consideration, I am not
thinking of doing it myself but It wouldn't be a bad idea if you had
the time and money. Putting heating pipes in a wall is self defeating
since the idea is for the heat to be put into the room.

But a lot of people consider anything unusual to be criminal.

If you treat it as decorative you don't have to make it expensive or
elaborate all you have to do is buy scraps of larger tububing and
either paint it or laquer it and just hang it over the existing
pipework where it will act as a miniature radiator.

It shouldn't be beyond the bounds of a really small pimple-brain such
as Phil L to work out how to do it. Although the idea of him getting
up to soemthing really impractical like nailing it in place would be
funny:

...nailing lumps of scrap metal to it bears all the hallmarks of
someone who

is losing their marbles. If he's not happy to have pipes on view, why
would
he possibly be happy having jagged scrap metal sticking out all over
the
place?

But I dare say someone on here could come up with how he would be
better off doing it, should he ever climb down out of his tree. I
don't think I shall bother enlightening him until he has a go and
gives up with a plea for help. It's just too good to chew on.

Gormless ****