Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT ish using Bluetooth crashes my wifi router...

On 06/06/2016 9:50 AM, jim wrote:

I regularly stream audio (Spotify) over Bluetooth from either my
phone or a tablet to a Bluetooth receiver connected to my old but
good hifi.

Every session without fail, doing this makes my wifi router reboot
more than once. I know as my phone will drop onto 3g whilst the
router reboots.

Router is a Thomson tg 785 from Plusnet several years ago.

Any thoughts /pointers gratefully received
TIA

Long shot...

All the wifi of routers everywhere share just 16 frequency bands. By
default, all sending gear and receiving gear is defaulted to band 7. If
you change the band, you must do on all your other devices in & out.
However, you will be more or less garaunteed a full band to your self as
no one else ever changes from the default.

Using the default of 7 means that all neighbours are also clashing
signals that your net has to abandon and ask for a repeat send. You get
lets of dropped packages.

If your Wifi is under such stress already, the bluetooth may be the
tipping point.

Otherwise, I have nothing else to offer.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

RayL12 wrote:

All the wifi of routers everywhere share just 16 frequency bands.

14 channels at 2.4GHz, of which 13 are legal in the UK and one of those
tends to have patchy support.

By default, all sending gear and receiving gear is defaulted to band
7.

Not IME, channels 1,6,11 are the common bands as they don't overlap.

If you change the band, you must do on all your other devices in &
out.

Not so, if you change the channel on the access point/router, all
connected clients will quickly follow it to the new channel, without any
reconfiguration.

However, you will be more or less garaunteed a full band to your self as
no one else ever changes from the default.

Many routers automatically and continuously select the "best" frequency.

If your Wifi is under such stress already, the bluetooth may be the
tipping point.

Bluetooth uses spread spectrum frequency hopping on a larger number of
narrower channels, an attempt to avoid interference from other devices
(e.g. WiFi) sharing the 2.4GHz band.

Wouldn't surprise me to find interference between bluetooth and wifi
devices in a particular situation, does surprise me it crashes the
router so repeatably.

Plusnet do have some Thomson firmware on their community website, if
that didn't help I'd buy or scrounge a router from someone.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.ecnmag.com/article/2012/0...th-coexistence

may be of interest

Josef Stalin

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

The Natural Philosopher Wrote in message:

http://www.ecnmag.com/article/2012/0...th-coexistence

may be of interest

Indeed, ta

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jim" k wrote in message
o.uk...
The Natural Philosopher Wrote in message:

http://www.ecnmag.com/article/2012/0...th-coexistence

may be of interest

Indeed, ta

That shouldn't be crashing your router tho, it should at worst
just see poor throughput when doing both at once.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 10 Jun 2016 07:28:26 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:
snip good stuff

Not so, if you change the channel on the access point/router, all
connected clients will quickly follow it to the new channel, without any
reconfiguration.

However, you will be more or less garaunteed a full band to your self as
no one else ever changes from the default.

Many routers automatically and continuously select the "best" frequency.

*Personally* I like to first have a listen and see what else is out
there and at what signal strength (WiFi Analyzer app on my phone [1])
and then position the gear I'm working on somewhere 'quiet'.

Cheers, T i m

[1] I have also a WiSpy dongle (WiFi spectrum analyzer) and that was
good for finding rouge kit that was broadcasting all over the WiFi
spectrum. One was a cheap TV sender thing and the other the rear
speakers on a surround sound system (that had stopped functioning and
gone bad (or the other way round)).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Many routers automatically and continuously select the "best" frequency.

*Personally* I like to first have a listen and see what else is out
there and at what signal strength (WiFi Analyzer app on my phone [1])
and then position the gear I'm working on somewhere 'quiet'.

When I only had 2.4GHz I used to do that, and preferred CH13 when that
was an option.

Now I have a dual band router choice of channel barely seems to matter
(due to fewer competing 5GHz signals with shorter range and worse
penetration of walls).