Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

Default H-in-a-circle symbol on a passenger ferry boat deck

Rather off topic, but someone might know...

I'm familiar with a large "H", usually inside a circle, painted on the
ground, to signify a helicopter landing pad.

But what is the significance of this symbol, about three feet in diameter,
on the deck of a passenger ferry boat? I saw one today: three-foot diameter
solid yellow disc painted on the red-brown deck, with "H" in deck colour
inside, almost filling the disc. Given that this was a small inter-island
passenger ferry in the Orkneys, that the circle was only three feet in
diameter and that it was right next to the side of the boat, I imagine that
it wasn't for landing a mini-helicopter :-) So what *was* it there for? I'm
intrigued.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

NY wrote:
Rather off topic, but someone might know...

I'm familiar with a large "H", usually inside a circle, painted on the
ground, to signify a helicopter landing pad.

But what is the significance of this symbol, about three feet in diameter,
on the deck of a passenger ferry boat? I saw one today: three-foot diameter
solid yellow disc painted on the red-brown deck, with "H" in deck colour
inside, almost filling the disc. Given that this was a small inter-island
passenger ferry in the Orkneys, that the circle was only three feet in
diameter and that it was right next to the side of the boat, I imagine that
it wasn't for landing a mini-helicopter :-) So what *was* it there for? I'm
intrigued.

Maybe the best "winching point" clear of overhead or other nearby
obstructions should anyone need airlifting off the deck? Just a guess.

Tim

--
Trolls and troll feeders go in my killfile
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/05/16 14:41, NY wrote:
Rather off topic, but someone might know...

I'm familiar with a large "H", usually inside a circle, painted on the
ground, to signify a helicopter landing pad.

But what is the significance of this symbol, about three feet in diameter,
on the deck of a passenger ferry boat? I saw one today: three-foot diameter
solid yellow disc painted on the red-brown deck, with "H" in deck colour
inside, almost filling the disc. Given that this was a small inter-island
passenger ferry in the Orkneys, that the circle was only three feet in
diameter and that it was right next to the side of the boat, I imagine that
it wasn't for landing a mini-helicopter :-) So what *was* it there for?
I'm
intrigued.

Location to put the stretcher of the afflicted / injured so that they
can be winched off?

Dunno.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:
NY wrote:
[...]

Bigger than yours (and no H) but I'm sure the circle is marking a safe
winching point.

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/~/media/...mw=980&th n=0

--
Trolls and troll feeders go in my killfile
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 17 May 2016 14:41:07 +0100, NY wrote:

Rather off topic, but someone might know...

I'm familiar with a large "H", usually inside a circle, painted on the
ground, to signify a helicopter landing pad.

But what is the significance of this symbol, about three feet in
diameter, on the deck of a passenger ferry boat? I saw one today:
three-foot diameter solid yellow disc painted on the red-brown deck,
with "H" in deck colour inside, almost filling the disc. Given that this
was a small inter-island passenger ferry in the Orkneys, that the circle
was only three feet in diameter and that it was right next to the side
of the boat, I imagine that it wasn't for landing a mini-helicopter :-)
So what *was* it there for? I'm intrigued.

I don't suppose I should say "fire hydrant"!