Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

Default H-in-a-circle symbol on a passenger ferry boat deck

Rather off topic, but someone might know...

I'm familiar with a large "H", usually inside a circle, painted on the
ground, to signify a helicopter landing pad.

But what is the significance of this symbol, about three feet in diameter,
on the deck of a passenger ferry boat? I saw one today: three-foot diameter
solid yellow disc painted on the red-brown deck, with "H" in deck colour
inside, almost filling the disc. Given that this was a small inter-island
passenger ferry in the Orkneys, that the circle was only three feet in
diameter and that it was right next to the side of the boat, I imagine that
it wasn't for landing a mini-helicopter :-) So what *was* it there for? I'm
intrigued.