Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Re-purpose wiring

There is mains wiring running from the fuse box to the immersion heater.
As the cylinder is going to be removed, is there a reason that the
wiring can not be re-used to power the following:
1) Combined heat/light/fan for bathroom
2) Towel radiator
I haven't looked, but I assume the existing wiring is 2.5mm2. The
combined heat/light/fan is 1150W, and the towel radiator is 400W
(although I guess someone could use 2x600W).
Just in principle, I won't be doing this myself.
Ta.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grumps wrote:
There is mains wiring running from the fuse box to the immersion heater.
As the cylinder is going to be removed, is there a reason that the
wiring can not be re-used to power the following:
1) Combined heat/light/fan for bathroom
2) Towel radiator
I haven't looked, but I assume the existing wiring is 2.5mm2. The
combined heat/light/fan is 1150W, and the towel radiator is 400W
(although I guess someone could use 2x600W).
Just in principle, I won't be doing this myself.

A 2.5mm2 radial (as opposed to a ring) is a perfectly valid
configuration. It has a 20 amp circuit breaker, no specific limit on
the number of sockets and a recommended maximum floor area served.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 15 May 2016 20:57:46 UTC+1, Grumps wrote:
There is mains wiring running from the fuse box to the immersion heater.
As the cylinder is going to be removed, is there a reason that the
wiring can not be re-used to power the following:
1) Combined heat/light/fan for bathroom
2) Towel radiator
I haven't looked, but I assume the existing wiring is 2.5mm2.

Probably ok if it is 2.5mm. The appliances will have to be connected by fused connection units, and a 20 amp fuse/circuit breaker, to be a standard radial circuit.

RCD protection may be needed for new work.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5/15/2016 8:57 PM, Grumps wrote:
There is mains wiring running from the fuse box to the immersion heater.
As the cylinder is going to be removed, is there a reason that the
wiring can not be re-used to power the following:
1) Combined heat/light/fan for bathroom
2) Towel radiator
I haven't looked, but I assume the existing wiring is 2.5mm2. The
combined heat/light/fan is 1150W, and the towel radiator is 400W
(although I guess someone could use 2x600W).
Just in principle, I won't be doing this myself.
Ta.

No reason not to IMHO subject to suitable fusing and earthing. (For
example if it is 2.5 mm^2 on a 20 amp fuse, it would be unsafe to extend
it with 1 mm^2 to a ventilation fan without an additional fuse). A good
electrician will get it right. A bad one OTOH....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grumps wrote:

There is mains wiring running from the fuse box to the immersion heater.
As the cylinder is going to be removed, is there a reason that the
wiring can not be re-used to power the following:
1) Combined heat/light/fan for bathroom
2) Towel radiator
I haven't looked, but I assume the existing wiring is 2.5mm2. The
combined heat/light/fan is 1150W, and the towel radiator is 400W
(although I guess someone could use 2x600W).
Just in principle, I won't be doing this myself.

Yes, the cable can be used.
It will need RCD protection for anything in the bathroom, so just swap
the immersion switch for a RCD fused spur.
The bonding to any incoming services will have to be compliant too.

--
Alan
To reply by mail, change '+' to 'plus'

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/05/2016 21:47, A.Lee wrote:
Grumps wrote:

There is mains wiring running from the fuse box to the immersion heater.
As the cylinder is going to be removed, is there a reason that the
wiring can not be re-used to power the following:
1) Combined heat/light/fan for bathroom
2) Towel radiator
I haven't looked, but I assume the existing wiring is 2.5mm2. The
combined heat/light/fan is 1150W, and the towel radiator is 400W
(although I guess someone could use 2x600W).
Just in principle, I won't be doing this myself.

Yes, the cable can be used.
It will need RCD protection for anything in the bathroom, so just swap
the immersion switch for a RCD fused spur.
The bonding to any incoming services will have to be compliant too.

Thanks all.

My whole plan was to use the old immersion circuit to feed a 4 gang
switch using 2.5mm2. The combined light/heat/fan unit has separate
circuits for the infra-red heaters, the fan, and the light. I was
thinking of assigning the 4 gang switch to:
1) 1 Pair of infra-red lights,
2) the 2nd pair of IR lights,
3) the fan,
4) the towel radiator.
The main light would operate from the existing pull cord.
The 4 gang switch would be wall mounted outside of the bathroom.
The whole lot is on an RCD at the consumer unit.
Is equipotential bonding required where the circuits are RCD protected?
What FCUs would be required? Individually for each appliance, or?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/05/2016 20:57, Grumps wrote:
There is mains wiring running from the fuse box to the immersion heater.
As the cylinder is going to be removed, is there a reason that the
wiring can not be re-used to power the following:
1) Combined heat/light/fan for bathroom
2) Towel radiator
I haven't looked, but I assume the existing wiring is 2.5mm2. The
combined heat/light/fan is 1150W, and the towel radiator is 400W
(although I guess someone could use 2x600W).
Just in principle, I won't be doing this myself.

Fine in principle...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Grumps wrote:
There is mains wiring running from the fuse box to the immersion heater.
As the cylinder is going to be removed, is there a reason that the
wiring can not be re-used to power the following:
1) Combined heat/light/fan for bathroom
2) Towel radiator
I haven't looked, but I assume the existing wiring is 2.5mm2. The
combined heat/light/fan is 1150W, and the towel radiator is 400W
(although I guess someone could use 2x600W).
Just in principle, I won't be doing this myself.

Principle is fine. But if running low powered devices like lights from it,
those and the wiring to them should be protected by an FCU with suitable
fuse.

--
*Modulation in all things *

Dave Plowman London SW